“Not so bad” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center

Save Saved
You added The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center to your Saves list
The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   16 West 10th Street, Erie, PA 16501 (Formerly Hotel Pure Avalon)   |
Ranked #28 of 35 hotels in Erie
Houston, Pennsylvania
“Not so bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Almost stayed away from this hotel based on prior reviews. However, the convenience of the location changed my mind. I agree that this is an older hotel the could use so updating. I was not looking for a hotel to entertain me, just a place to sleep. This filled the bill. The room was clean and the staff was friendly. I had no complaints other then the bar was closed on Sunday. If you want to be close to downtown and don't want to pay a high price, this is the best bet.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Zach H, General Manager at The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Thank you for posting on our TripAdvisor page. Thank you for the kind words. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. Perhaps you were in our Deluxe Rooms based on your review because ownership has poured hundreds of thousands of dollars in room renovations which are labeled as Superior Rooms. We'd love to have you back, and next time you stay with us, please choose the Superior room class to notice the changes we've made to the property.

218 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Lake City, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

My wife and I stayed here a couple of weeks ago. It was a great choice for us. Our room was appealing and well decorated. The King size bed was quite comfortable. The staff was very accommodating, welcoming, and friendly. Free, underground parking was convenient for this downtown locale. Price was affordable and quite reasonable. When staying in downtown Erie again, we will definitely book the Avalon.

Room Tip: I understand that the hotel is in a renovation project. Our room was nicely renovated. I cannot ju...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Zach H, General Manager at The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you for posting on our TripAdvisor page. Thank you for the kind words and great review! We are very pleased that you recognized all the good the Avalon provides, and are very pleased you shared your wonderful comments with the public. Thank you for again pointing out the free underground downtown parking and affordable room rates that we provide. I am very happy you valued your stay, and we would love to have you back!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I stayed here for two days and I will have to say honestly that this place is very good. Free indoor Parking and nightlife within walking distance was plus.I was skeptical when I read reviews. This place really is a good place and great value for downtown Erie. I would certainly recommend to all my friend and tripadvisor readers.

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you for posting on our TripAdvisor page. Thank you for the kind words. I am glad you enjoyed the free downtown parking as well as the excellent location we provide to downtown night life and events. Value of the stay is something we pride ourselves on, and we're glad you recognized the rate of the room reflected good value.

Thank you again!

Erie, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed here recently and were not very impressed. Carpeting looks new, but the wallpaper had gross stains on it, bathtub needed recaulking and toliet had bad stains and barely flushed. LIghting was also terrible in the room. There is a parking garage, however its very dark and anyone can come in to the hotel and get on the elevator from it. No type of security prohibiting this. Anyone can park in the garage; there was no parking tags or gate. Cleaning staff was unprofessional, running and laughing loudly down the hallways in the late afternoon. Doors are pretty thin as we could hear the people in the room across from us very loudly. The bed was pretty comfortable and the room was very large, but those are the only positive things I have to review on this hotel. A revamping is seriously needed for this downtown hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for posting on our TripAdvisor page. Concerning the revamping of our property, we've actually poured hundreds of thousands of dollars into renovating certain floors; perhaps you were on a non-renovated floor, which the rate you paid would reflect. As I've pointed out in previous responses, the parking gate has been fixed (someone ran their car through the exit gate) and the lighting has been increased; however, it is, and always has been, a very safe place with not one incident to report.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Tried to book the night before our stay. The receptionist couldnt book the room because the machine was down. Got to the hotel and the garage security gate an ticket machine were broke (garage open to anyone). It was dark and dirty. Checked in... machine for credit card took several attempts and finally worked. Rooms were old but clean. Went to the local comedy club and had fun! When we got back to the hotel we thought we would just end the night at the "advertised hotel bar and nightclub!" Buttttt they forgot to say that the club has been closed down! Breakfast was lackluster at best. Overall this stay was poor ar best and the worst part is we stayed there about five years ago and had a great time! Seems like there are management issues that have substantially affected the quality of customer care... stay someplace else!

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you for posting on our TripAdvisor page. The parking garage gate has been fixed and we've added more lighting down there due to noticing select people had issues with the lighting down there. Our restaurant and night club are in a revamping stage and due to losses we've incurred by having them open, we are looking into creative ideas to revitalize those places, so I apologize they were not open. I can assure you the quality of customer care is as good, if not better, than it has been in the past.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I do not recommend this hotel. It is bad enough that it is run down BUT dirty I can not tolerate! I pulled out a blanket from the drawer and it had a HUGE red stain on it that was absolutely disgusting. The wallpaper was coming off everywhere in the room. The carpet and the lamp shade had gross stains on it. The tube tv did not even have a remote and it kept getting these lines on it every few minutes. I could not sleep at this hotel because it was abnormally noisy throughout the entire night! People were screaming outside and it was like they were next to me and I was on the 6th floor. I constantly heard trains and police sirens all night long. I could not wait to leave. I have been going to Erie for years and stayed at many places but this is absolutely the worst and I will never stay here again!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Zach H, General Manager at The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Thank you for posting to our TripAdvisor page. I am sorry to hear of the stains on your linens and things of that nature. In fact, we've recently changed personnel in the housekeeping department and have a new manager in there, so we have put forth the effort to improve upon inconsistencies as you've pointed out. Unfortunately, we cannot control police sirens and noise on the street.

Thank you again.

PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

We were here for a wedding, so a block of rooms were reserved. I will start with the two only positive's - there was free parking & the ballroom was nice. Now for the rest of our stay:

1) We arrived to be told that we'd already been checked in, that our card had been swiped, and that we already signed the paperwork - not. As we explained that no, we are just NOW getting here, she gave us confused look and said, "but you are already checked in". After several minutes of back and forth she asked us to let her know if anyone was in our room when we entered - not a good first sign.
2) The food for the reception was bland and breakfst was greasy - not appealing at all.
3) There was moss (and lot's of it) growing inside our window (yes, I said INSIDE). Good thing we didn't have allergies or asthma.
4) There was partying and foul language outside our door & in the next room for two straight hours (swearing, banging doors, leaning on ours). After an hour (about 3:00 AM) I called the front desk to be told "so it's still going on" to which I replied "still, did someone else call you" and he said "yeah, about an hour ago". I asked if he was going to do anything about it and he said he'd be up. An hour later - nothing, still partying & swearing, which meant no sleep for us.
5) When we went to check out the next day and I reveiwed the issues, I got a so-so "okay". I just told the very unenthusiastic girl that there was a layer of moss growing inside the room on the window and I got just an "okay"?

Bottom line - don't waste your time, money, or health on this place - they obviously don't care too much.

Room Tip: Sorry I have no good tips for this place! Boy do I wish I would have taken a picture of the moss!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for posting on our TripAdvisor page. Thank you for the compliments on the free parking and our beautiful ballrooms. The issue with your check in had to do with the the group block set up with the wedding and who reserved your rooms. The person who placed your reservations failed to give the names of all of the guests, so multiple rooms were under the same guest name. When the check in occurred, the front desk agent did a last name search and found that a few people under that name had already checked in, and that is where the confusion was. The guest names were recorded in our guest comments and the accurate names of all the guests were then changed for the rooms, respectively. I'm very sorry to hear your comments regarding the food at the reception as that is always a staple of positive feedback we receive from event coordinators and clientele. The issues with the partying and loudness of the hotel were handled and the guests were ordered to quite down. We frequently remove guests from the property if they have to be told more than two times.

Thank you again for adding to our TripAdvisor page.

Zach Herrick - General Manager

Been to The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!