“A little tired as hotels go but rooms were clean, breakfast good and price was right.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center

You added The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center to your Saves list
The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   16 West 10th Street, Erie, PA 16501 (Formerly Hotel Pure Avalon)   |
Ranked #29 of 35 Hotels in Erie
Kitchener, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

The hotel was located in downtown area of Erie. Check in was slow and methodical but we did arrive late with a large group. Room was a good size and very clean. Amenities were in good order. Ice machines were few and not in good order. Breakfast was in downstairs Dinning area and well laid out -good deal for 7 dollars for a buffet breakfast.

• Stayed May 2013
Zach H, General Manager at The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Thank you for posting on our Trip Advisor page. The ice machines are something that we've been working on, and according to our Chief Engineer a few have been repaired, but we need to get all of them back in service. Very sorry about the slow check in, however sometimes with groups that happens but we are always working on ways to make group check ins faster. Thanks again, we look forward to seeing you back in the future!

Zach

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed at the Avalon in Erie during a soccer tournament. We only slept in the hotel, so this review is limited. The parking garage was poorly lit, dirty and a little scary. The elevators weren't much better. The lobby and the room were very nice. There was no temperature control for the room, which is a common complaint for this hotel. The alarm clock did not work, but with cell phones, this is not an issue for many people. For just under $100 a night, we were pleased with our experience. The staff was helpful and courteous.

Room Tip: The hotel and surrounding activities are better for a group of friends than a family.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a response about our hotel. I am sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction with the parking garage, we have been analyzing this for a few weeks now and it may be time to add some extra lighting down there for guests who like it a little brighter. Thank you again for staying and for the comments, we hope to see you back sometime soon!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

I am writing this review during my stay here, since I do see that the proprietor replys to reviews. I like the hotel in every way, except for the WiFi. It's good that they use security on the signal, albeit with a weak password. Security's not the real issue here, because there's ways to secure your own connection via software / hardware. The problem is reliability and service. A call to ITG, who manages the service resulted in me restarting my devices. When that didn't work, I was informed they would call the front desk, and someone would get back to me. No one did. What I ended up finally doing was visit the lobby with a device and try to connect there. The strongest signal was then in the lobby, and I couldn't connect to it. I found one access point that finally worked, and was able to use that. It was weak but reachable from my room, and would frequently disconnect at times. I think the whole issue could have been resolved by simply restarting the access point I originally tried to use, which had the strongest signal from my room. This doesn't seem to be a priority with the staff here, and if you rely on an internet connection your best bet would be to find a place to stay that has good WiFi (or better, Ethernet). Smartphones are more common now, and that's another option here, since cellular service is good in Erie.

• Stayed May 2013
Zach H, General Manager at The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
Bob,

I am sorry to hear about your troubles with our internet, but am glad the rest of your stay was enjoyable. I am wondering if you would please contact me sometime next week so I can further discuss with you our internet here at the hotel. Furthermore, we are actually no longer affiliated with ITG for our internet customer service, so I am curious as to how you came in contact with them, whether it was a sign we missed taking down or if the front desk staff was feeding misinformation. Thank you again for taking the time to address this issue on TripAdvisor and thank you again for staying with us. I am looking forward to hopefully speaking with you.

Southington, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

We had group event organized at this hotel and all of us were staying at the hotel. Staff was very accomodating and helpful. The rooms were nice and had a great view of the downtown. I would stay here again and again and would gladly recommend to my friends and families. Overall our trip was successfull and awesome.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you very much for the kind words. I am extremely happy you had a pleasant stay and we look forward to having you back in the future! Thank again.

New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

I stayed at Avalon Erie while traveling for a group event. The location in downtown Erie is fantastic, access to anything you need is just steps away - shopping, restaurants, etc. Lake is just a walking
distance.

The rooms are beautiful, and having stayed here 3 times I experienced a variety of different rooms. I stayed in a King suite every time, however the layout varies room to room. The best rooms were corner suites.

Although I traveled here on business, the next time I come to Erie for personal reasons I will definitely be booking here. as well For the price it is a fantastic hotel, in a great location with very good service.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Zach H, Zach Herrick, Director of Operations at The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Loved reading your review! Few things make us happier than hearing from a satisfied guest. Think you'll be able to come back soon? We love seeing a familiar face! Thanks so much for the five-star review, and come back soon.

Take care,

Whitefish, Montana, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Thank you! Great experience, kind and courteous staff. Clean and spacious rooms. I was here for a great film festival in October. Had a really fantastic time and this hotel helped make it a great trip! I would stay here and day and will again when I return next year!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
You're welcome, Adam! We're thrilled to hear that you had such a terrific stay with us, and we appreciate you taking the time to share this experience with others on TripAdvisor. It means the world to us, and we hope to see you again next year! Thank you, and take care.

Best regards,

Fletcher, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center sits in the heart of Erie's downtown and if you have business there or are taking advantage of Presque Isle or other attractions, the location is optimal. There are a few restaurants and bars nearby and the hotel is right in front of the Erie Playhouse.

In addition to its location, the hotel has an abundance of spacious rooms, banquet halls, bars and dining areas. I'd highly recommend this place if it were just a conference center. But the Avalon brands itself as a hotel, as well, and that claim leaves much to be desired.

Although the lobby has a reasonably pleasant interior, the image projected on the website starts to crumble upon entering the very dated elevator. The hallways are clean. The room number plaques on the doors are almost all different--one room was even identified by adhesive-taped numbers and I stayed next to a room that didn't have a room identifier at all. The room didn't get much better than the hallway. No pens/paper were to be found, the drapes didn't match and both the telephone and insignia on the mini-fridge welcomed the guest to a different brand of hotel--in New York City.

If appearances aren't enough to disappoint, our card key failed to work twice during our stay. The walls are paper thin (I must've heard conversations from a few different rooms) and although the mattress itself was fine, the bed was actually broke on one side. We stayed on the fourth floor and I felt like I was on street level, due to the large, drafty windows in need of replacement. Shower pressure was good and the room was clean.

The Avalon is in need of some serious investments--immediately. I understood from check-in that some renovations are taking place. Yet, at the website's $129 per night standard rate (I sure didn't pay that), charging customers such an exorbitant amount for awkward and poorly-furnished rooms is an absolute joke. You can do much better elsewhere.

Room Tip: The further up, the better.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Zach H, Zach Herrick, Director of Operations at The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
I am sorry if you didn't find your stay to be more enjoyable, and was disappointed to read your comments about our hotel. In the past year, we have put a lot of our resources into renovating the hotel, and we're still in the process of updating it—our rooms, primarily. That in mind, we appreciate your feedback and if you have any specific suggestions, please share them with us.

Also, if you have a moment, is there a phone number or e-mail address where I can contact you? I'd like the opportunity to clear the air! Thanks for sharing, and take care.

Best regards,

Zach Herrick, Director of Operations

Been to The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!