“NEVER stay here again!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center

Save Saved
You added The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center to your Saves list
The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   16 West 10th Street, Erie, PA 16501 (Formerly Hotel Pure Avalon)   |
Ranked #28 of 35 hotels in Erie
Rocky Grove, Pennsylvania, United States
“NEVER stay here again!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

We went for the wine on the lake .It was awful!!!! Our toilet had blood on the side of it and very dusty dirty dirty!!!!! NEVER will go again. Went and ate at the bar awful service never got food for an hour and never got refills!!! Do not go to this hotel!!! The heat never would go down was 90 in our room all night!!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Zach H, Zach Herrick, Director of Operations at The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
It shocked us to hear that your bathroom was in this condition, since our team puts a lot of time and energy into ensuring that your room is clean and presentable.

Similarly, I apologize if you experienced poor service at our bar. This doesn't sound like us at all, especially since we've looked to hire fast, accommodating servers. I'll make a point of checking in with my team regarding your comments.

In the meantime, is there a phone number where I can contact you? It sounds like you have the wrong impression of us, and I'd like to clear the air. Thank you for bringing this to my attention, and take care.

Best wishes,

253 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

The room was ok a little dirty and not updated. The walls are paper thin and you can hear everything that is going on in the entire floor. The room thermostat said 90 and I couldn't get the air to turn on so I called the front desk and they said there is no A/C in the winter months. This is unheard of especially when we paid around 150 a night for the room....

• Stayed March 2013
I am sorry to hear this, and apologize if you were not more satisfied with your room. In the past few months, we've taken great strides to renovate our rooms, and for the most part, our guests have been impressed. In any event, we take what you have to seriously, and I can assure you that we'll heed your comments as we look to improve.

If you would like to speak with me further, feel free to leave an e-mail address or phone number where I can contact you. I'd love the chance to clear the air! Thanks for bringing this to my attention, and take care.

FRANKLIN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

We have stayed at Avalon Hotel several times and have always had good luck! We went this last weekend with another couple. They checked in first and we followed about 1/2 hour later. The girl who checked us in gave us the incorrect room keys and room. We went up to the room and entered only to find out the other couple was already in the room and was extremely suprised when we entered. I proceeded to go down to the desk...upset...and they gave me new keys to our proper room! I then went back upstairs to the correct room only to discover the keys didn't work. I went BACK down to the desk for new keys. They apologized and gave me new keys. I went back upstairs to the room again...to discover the new keys didn't work. I called the front desk and they sent up maintenance and reset our door lock. I wouldn't have been upset if we hadn't been given keys to someone elses room..Thank God the other couple involved were with us. I don't know what I would have done had it been a stranger. They really need to be much more careful when checking people in. I do understand that there were people everywhere considering it was a prime location for the St. Patrick's day celebration going on in town. But that was just unacceptable!!!! We then went out to the show that we had tickets for, upon returning , there were visibly intoxicated people sitting around the lobby of the hotel on the floor. I know that it was St. Patrick's day and people were out and about everywhere but I would hope that the management would have taken care of this. It is pretty tacky to enter a hotel and have young kids just sitting everywhere on the floor. Don't know that I will return to the hotel when other events are going on!! Was not impressed!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Zach H, Zach Herrick, Director of Operations at The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
I am sincerely sorry to hear this, April. As someone who has visited us in the past, you probably understand that this type of behavior isn't common for us. We have taken great strides to upgrade our hotel, seeking out attentive and accommodating employees. And while this is definitely a one-off situation, I can understand why you would be upset and will make a point of looking into what happened a bit further with my team.

And in regards to the lobby—we are here to accommodate all of our clients, but would never want you to feel uncomfortable. Please know that we'll learn from this experience looking forward!

If you have any further comments or concerns, feel free to leave an e-mail address or phone number where I can contact you. I'd love to clear the air! Thanks for sharing, and take care.

Best,

Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

We stayed again at this place and everything from booking to check out was good. Many new faces, many good changes.Indoor parking is a huge advantage of a City Hotel. Front Desk Girl and management were wonderful. I was allowed to check in early without a fuss. We are going back towards end of this month. Looking forward to have good time in Erie. Two thumbs Up.

Room Tip: If you are a repeat client, Just call directly and ask for Norma or Manager. I got a good deal.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Zach H, Manager at The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Thank you very much for your kind words. I am glad Norma and the front desk staff were able to assist you and you enjoyed your stay. I greatly appreciate your business and we look forward to having you back at the end of the month and into the future. And again, you can always call Norma and mention that you are a repeat visitor. Thank you!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

In the heart of Erie, reasonable rates, close to everything including fine dining, nightlife, Jrs comedy club, steps from Historic playhouse and Warner theater and arena, what else you can ask for. Staff was extremely polite, hospitable and well trained. Very young manager and owner were true gentleman. Bar and restaurant was pretty good, we had banquet as was a very good experience. I would go back again and again to this convenient and friendly place.

Room Tip: If you are a repeat customer speak to Manager to set up rate for you.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Zach H, Manager at The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Thank you very much for your kind words. It was a pleasure having everyone that weekend, it was as fun for management as it was for the guests. If you are ever in the Erie area again, I invite you to come back and stay with us and receive the same level of satisfaction you experienced during your stay. Thank you again.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

I paid $225 for my wife and I to enjoy a NYE party at this hotel. At the time of booking we were promised a live band, casino night, raffles, prizes, and "much much more". The band turned out to be a lame wedding dj. The casino tables never showed up. Nothing was raffled. The food was truly awful. The salad was just a few large pieces of lettuce with cheese. The chicken was so tough it could not be cut. The beef was woefully undercooked and of questionable quality. The open bar had an extremely limited selection. Just cheap all around. The room condition was extremely poor. Iron bolted to the ironing board......17 inch CRT tv also.bolted down.....ants in the shower....non digital temp ensures either sweltering heat or freezing.cold etc.

I asked to speak to a manager and was told none was available. I posted to their facebook and my comments were deleted. They also started covering their tracks by altering marketing materials.

Promises one thing and delivers another...and pockets the savings for themselves. Beware of this property.

• Stayed December 2012
Zach H, Director of Operations at The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
I am very sorry to hear of your experience at the hotel during our New Year's Party. Some of the proceedings for the night were changed months back when we learned certain items were not contracted out due to former management (casino tables). I invite you to please call me directly at 814-459-2220 ext 251 to talk about this situation further if you wish to do so. Again, I apologize for the less than stellar experience you had with our hotel.
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Wanted to take the time to say we had another nice stay at the Avalon. Friendly staff (Norma, Erica, AJ) Hotel has newely remodeled rooms. Could re-install the cloths rods that were removed during remodeling. Excellent banquet facilities, food was well prepared, hotel bar/lounge was comfortable. We stayed for 5 days....again another nice time.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!