“New Years Party Scam” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center

You added The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center to your Saves list
The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   16 West 10th Street, Erie, PA 16501 (Formerly Hotel Pure Avalon)   |
Ranked #29 of 35 Hotels in Erie
“New Years Party Scam”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I paid $225 for my wife and I to enjoy a NYE party at this hotel. At the time of booking we were promised a live band, casino night, raffles, prizes, and "much much more". The band turned out to be a lame wedding dj. The casino tables never showed up. Nothing was raffled. The food was truly awful. The salad was just a few large pieces of lettuce with cheese. The chicken was so tough it could not be cut. The beef was woefully undercooked and of questionable quality. The open bar had an extremely limited selection. Just cheap all around. The room condition was extremely poor. Iron bolted to the ironing board......17 inch CRT tv also.bolted down.....ants in the shower....non digital temp ensures either sweltering heat or freezing.cold etc.

I asked to speak to a manager and was told none was available. I posted to their facebook and my comments were deleted. They also started covering their tracks by altering marketing materials.

Promises one thing and delivers another...and pockets the savings for themselves. Beware of this property.

• Stayed December 2012
Zach H, Director of Operations at The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
I am very sorry to hear of your experience at the hotel during our New Year's Party. Some of the proceedings for the night were changed months back when we learned certain items were not contracted out due to former management (casino tables). I invite you to please call me directly at 814-459-2220 ext 251 to talk about this situation further if you wish to do so. Again, I apologize for the less than stellar experience you had with our hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Wanted to take the time to say we had another nice stay at the Avalon. Friendly staff (Norma, Erica, AJ) Hotel has newely remodeled rooms. Could re-install the cloths rods that were removed during remodeling. Excellent banquet facilities, food was well prepared, hotel bar/lounge was comfortable. We stayed for 5 days....again another nice time.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

Rooms are clean, bed was very comfortable. Also get free parking! (Try to find that in most cities and you will have a hard time). Also paid half the price the chain hotels on upper Peach charged. All in all a great value, I would definitely stay here again

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
erie
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

rooms are way to hot the only person that I liked that worked 3rd shift is now gone. the general manager is completely rude. windows are bolted shut, just to make sure you cant breath. My room smelled musty, even after someone told me it was a newly renovated room. The only plus side to this hotel is the location, you get there see how bad the hotel is then you can go out and get drunk right on state, which is probably why they dont care how their guests feel, been here a couple times and its the same thing every time. Ill be sure to not come here anymore. General Manager put me over the edge last time. way over priced for the quality of room to. would rather stay at the Knights Inn down the road.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Zach H, Zach Herrick, Drector of Operations at The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Hi Mike,

I apologize if the room didn't live up to your expectations. We do care a lot about our guests and want to ensure that everyone has a terrific stay.

For clarification, our rooms have been recently renovated and it disappointed me to hear that you thought it was musty. Were you mostly let down with the smell, or was it also the decor? Also, we keep the windows closed for safety reasons. Regardless, we value your feedback, and if you have any specific advice about how the rooms could be better, please let me know.

I was surprised to hear that you thought our team was less than welcoming too. This doesn't sound in line with our goals and values, and I promise to share your feedback with them.

Do you have a phone number or e-mail address where I can contact you? I'd like the chance to clear the air, and hopefully start fresh. Thanks so much for sharing last fall, and take care!

Best regards,

Mississauga, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

Too many issues to recount them all, but i will try. This place is way overpriced and is more like a motel. The beds are a disgrace. I've slept better in a tent and sleeping bag. The bar scene was so loud that from our sixth floor room it sounded like they were coming in! A mysterious loud beep (smoke detector?) went off every five minutes all night long. The tv belongs in a museum. The toilet refilled loudly every fifteen minutes. The shower leaked and sprayed everywhere and was so slow. The tub didn't drain properly. Eww. No breakfast included (really? At that price?) the windows were disgustingly dirty with who knows what. Wifi? more like lie-fi. Didnt exist. The only nice thing there was the two caged birds in the lobby. Their beds looked better than ours. We won't be back. Ever.

Stayed November 2012
Zach H, Zach Herrick, Director of Operations at The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Hi David,

I am sorry if you didn't enjoy your stay with us last year, and want you to know how disappointing it was to read your comments. We care a lot about our guests as well as the hotel, and want everyone to have the best stay possible.

Recently, we invested millions into renovating the hotel. We took into account feedback like yours as we sought to give the space a whole new look. I can assure you that if you came back, you wouldn't be disappointed.

If you have any further comments or concerns, don't hesitate to share them with us. We're constantly looking to improve, and take what you have to say seriously.

Eventually, I hope you'll give us a second chance to put our best foot forward! Thanks for sharing, and take care.

Best regards,

Windsor, ON
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Having been to Erie several times now, we've always stayed here. It's not the most modern looking place, probably stuck in the 80s, but the issues have been few and far between.

Pros - great location, very appropriate prices, and the staff has been excellent.

Cons - doesn't matter what temp it is outside, they turn the heat on in the fall. If it's 75F in the room, open a window because you won't get any cool air into the room otherwise.

We had an issue with the room when we went this weekend - bad smell + no cold air (room was very warm). Management originally told us they had no rooms left, then found us a room which fit perfectly. Credit to them and the staff for helping us out.

I'm sure there are better places to stay in town, but there's little wrong with this hotel and it's downtown, so it's very convenient. We'll be back!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Johnstown, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

We stayed at the Avalon for a wedding. The room was like a sauna. The air was shut off. When we complained at the front desk, they gave us a 6-in. fan to use. They told us to open the windows - which had NO SCREENS. After the wedding, my wife and I were asleep in our beds when a drunken man came into our room (we had forgotten to put the security chain on the door that night) and started arguing with us that we were in his room. He came back two more times and tried to break throuigh the chain. It turned out he was also a guest at the hotel who had lost his room key. He went to the desk and asked for a key to our room (he forgot his room #). Without asking for ID or checking, the clerk at the desk MADE HIM A KEY TO OUR ROOM! The next morning, I told the desk clerk I wanted a refund for the last night (our third night in the room). She said that since we had paid in advance as part of the wedding rate, the GM would have to arrange the refund. The GM called me later and said he would check the records and call me. Five days and numerous calls (by me) and he still hasn't called me. I've called the credit card company, and will file complaints with the Better Business Bureau and the Bureau for Consumer Protection. My advice - STAY AWAY!!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Zach H, Zach Herrick, Director of Operations at The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
I want to apologize if this was your experience staying with us last year, David. We care a lot about the hotel, but most importantly our guests, and want everyone to leave having had a relaxing and safe stay.

Your comments, as well as others, prompted us to invest a lot of time and energy into renovating the hotel. I can assure you that the issues you formerly experienced have been taken care of, or are in the process of being addressed.

I would like the chance to speak with you further, so please feel free to contact me at (814) 459-2220. I'd like to clear the air, as I hope you'll give us a second chance the next time your travels bring you to Erie. Thank you for sharing, and take care!

Best wishes,