“QUICK!!!! Book another hotel!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center

You added The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center to your Saves list
The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   16 West 10th Street, Erie, PA 16501 (Formerly Hotel Pure Avalon)   |
Ranked #29 of 35 Hotels in Erie
Rhode Island
“QUICK!!!! Book another hotel!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

Briefly, this hotel is a dump.
I am a veteran business traveler with years of experience with most kinds of hotels.
Dark, dingy and way past its prime, it has peeling wallpaper and paint, smelly and dank hallways, and just two urksome dirty elevators servicing the entire hotel, one being always out of order.
BEWARE!
Front desk collects entire stay up-front, and rudely refuses refunds once you see the room.
Old, tired obsolete bedding (no bedbugs...we checked) cranky air conditioning and stopped up tub drains made this stay a nightmare.
Front desk staff rude and not interested in the comfort of guests.
Dark and leaky basement garage without adequate security.

Travelers would be well advised to book one of the many hotels out by Interstae 90 that are within an easy two minute drive to downtown.

Room Tip: Stay well away from this dump.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Sterling, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012 via mobile

I don't even know where to start when describing the general haneousness of this hotel. How about here: Eww, gross.
The parking lot beneath the hotel smelled pretty bad. The elevator leading to the lobby? Even worse. The front desk staff was unattentative and unkempt (that's being generous). Our room on the 6th floor contained two double beds, despite my request for a single king bed. No big deal, just means the boyfriend has to do more cuddling than he normally likes to ;)
The multiple face/handprints on the windows, however, were kind of a big deal. As was the mold on the shower curtain, smell of urine in the bathroom, dead insects on the windowsill, non working lamps, and general filthyness of the room.
Then it was downstairs to "breakfast" in the morning: Luke warm juices, cereal you couldn't access because of broken dispensers, trash covered coffee table, and unattentative staff. We even shelled out the extra $7/person for the "buffet". Wow. Bad plan. Over cooked eggs from a carton, under cooked sausages, soggy bacon, and freezer burned pastries/waffles.
We decided to stop by the hotel bar on Friday night around 9:30pm and walked in in time to hear a member of the staff tell another group that the bartender was planning on leaving, but we could "try to convince her to stay". No thanks, we'll take our money elsewhere.
Side note: go to 1201 Kitchen. It is FANTASTIC!
We were in town for a wedding on Saturday, and if we could have found another room available for Saturday night, I would have paid any price. Sadly, everything else was completely booked. To sum it all up: I gave the Avalon $215 of my hard earned money that I would have been better off giving the bum sleeping on the street right outside so I could share his sleeping bag. At least the smell would have been better.

• Stayed July 2012
South Kingstown, Rhode Island
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

Location to city happenings is convenient. We had an okay room with in a block of reserved rooms. Others in our group did not. Renovations are long over due...new pillows & mattresses are needed as well. Ceilings show wear & tear of past leaks. Elevators are slow. Restaurant food is much too slow. This could be a great place but lots of TLC needs to be put in place.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

Stay as far away from this Hotel as possible! Rooms were filthy. Pillows looked like someone peed on them. Yellower than the sunflowers in my yard. The sheets and blankets looked like they had been used for several weeks and never changed. Unfortunately there were no other rooms available around Presque Isle. It sits right in the heart of downtown and believe me that is not an asset. It's situated in a bad area and I was alteast thankful for undergound parking since we had 2 young girls with us. The only thing good was the breakfast but, as bad as the hotel was, I would have been afraid to see just how filthy the kitchen was. I would have felt I was in a cleaner area if I had pitched a tent on the beach. WHAT A BAD HOTEL!! I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY'RE STILL IN OPERATION!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
erie, pa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

The remodeled rooms have potential if they would just get a clue with maintenance and customer service. This hotel is unique in that it is in the downtown of Erie, and walkable to all theater, arenas, bars, restaurants and museums.
We booked relatives at the hotel months in advance for our wedding. The reservations were "lost" and prior promises forgotten. We were able to get the rooms, but the a/c was broken, guests were getting stuck in the elevator, plus the fan circulating what air was in the room was very loud.
The restaurant bar only stays open until 11pm saturday nights, but there were plenty of patrons to make keeping it open worth their time. The pool was an empty cement box. The morning buffet was tasty but poorly presented and the upper eating area had no lights--bulbless recessed lights.
Overall, I would like to see improvements in management because it would be a shame to lose a convenient location with potential to be great.

Room Tip: For a nice view with morning sunrise, ask for a room facing 10th street :) Stay away from rooms nea...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012 via mobile

The entire experience was terrible. The front desk staff was not friendly. We actually were stuck on the elevator: overall the rooms and parking lot were old and run down. The bathroom doorknob was broken and the shower itself was old and dirty. The towels were gritty and gnarly. Our room key wouldnt work and we had to get it replaced 5 times.
We went there for a wedding: the banquet hall was beautiful and the food was great!
What a shame that the rest of the hotel was poor.
I definately do not advise staying here

• Stayed July 2012
Buffalo, NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

After reading several poor reviews online, I was encouraged after calling and speaking to a staff member that things were improving. Although I'm sure she didn't maliciously mislead me, my husband I were overall very disappointed in this experience and have no intentions of staying here ever again.

Initially, the staff person I spoke with admitted that the hotel was over 40 years old and the AC struggles to cool the hotel "when we're at full capacity." Although our room was tolerable in terms of coolness, it was not consistent and I'd prefer it to be about 5 degrees cooler.

We checked in around 5pm (Room 730) after making some brewery tours. We didn't notice anything out of the ordinary and enjoyed a quick nap before heading to The Brewerie At Union Station (which was a FANTASTIC experience!). We returned about 11pm and noticed there were only 3 pillows so we called the front desk to ask for 2 more. The person who answered said "I'm not sure if I have any extra pillows." My husband and I both thought "who doesn't keep extra pillows on hand?" We didn't think our request was demanding or out of the ordinary. We'd also noticed there was a rather large wedding there that weekend, so one would think the hotel would be more prepared to accommodate guests.

Just as I was getting back into bed, I noticed what appeared to be a bedbug near a pillow on top of the sheeet. We captured it, flushed it, then tore the bed up. We didn't find any other evidence of a bedbug, but one is enough for me!

Next door in the adjoining room, a toddler wailed like it was being tortured for about 20 minutes around midnight. Thankfully I had earplugs. However, I was awakened again at 3:30 by an overly amorous couple as whatever they were doing caused very loud creeks in our ceiling. I realize this isn't the hotel's fault, but it all adds up to our incredibly disappointing experience.

I slept horribly because I felt itchy thinking about the bedbug all night. Although we chose to stay in the room, it was only because it was so late and we'd only found one.

The fan in the bathroom did not work at all and although neither my husband or I took a steamy, hot shower, the bathroom became very damp which then carried out into our sleeping area. Because the AC is so inefficient, I was very uncomfortable drying my hair and getting ready.

As we checked out, the front desk person did not ask me how my stay was, the purpose of my visit or anything - not even an attempt at small talk. We'd asked for a late checkout and got to the front desk around 12:15 so it wasn't like it was early morning, when I'd have been more willing to give someone the benefit of the doubt on "early morning mood."

As we were processing the paperwork, I mentioned very nicely, "You may want to have your cleaning staff spend a little extra time in our room. We found a bedbug in our bed on top of the sheet. We looked under the sheets and mattress, and didn't find others, but we did find that one."

I'd said this early enough in our conversation in which she had time to make a choice on offering me a travel voucher or a discount - neither of which happened. She also made no attempt to empathize or offer an apology. Too tired to deal with it and wanting to get to our next destination, I let it go only because I knew I'd have a chance to publish a poor review and prevent anyone else from having such a horrible experience.

As we were getting on the elevator, we heard the front desk person call up on a walkie-talkie to housekeeping, letting them know that the guest in room 603 would be staying another night. I thought at that point she'd also let the staff know about the bedbug, for which she'd written "Housekeeping #730" on a pink post-it when I'd mentioned it 5 minutes earlier. She didn't mention it at all - or at least at her first contact to housekeeping that I'd heard.

While this hotel has seen better days, I see no signs of any attempts at improving what is a continuously declining structure. This is a centrally located hotel, near local businesses, Gannon and other points of interest such as Hamot Medical Center. I would NOT recommend staying at this hotel, regardless of time or purpose of your visit. No hotel deserves anyone's business when they are so blatantly dismissive and apathetic to what clearly needs improvement.

Room Tip: There are no rooms worth your money in this hotel.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!