“BED BUGS” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center

Save Saved
You added The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center to your Saves list
The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   16 West 10th Street, Erie, PA 16501 (Formerly Hotel Pure Avalon)   |
Ranked #28 of 35 hotels in Erie
Lakewood
“BED BUGS”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

This place is DISGUSTING. We found BEDBUGS in our room. They were everywhere-- in the sheets, blankets, boxspring. I tried speaking with the manager at the frong desk but there wasnt one there and couldnt be reached. The only thing they did was refund our money. DISGUSTING. It was as if they knew and chose to leave the infestation. Nobody was sorry or apologetic. Don't stay in room 401.

Not to mention the rowdy hockey team that was up partying and smashing into the walls. When we called the front desk they "took note of the situation" and called back 30min later to offer us a different room. nice.

Room Tip: check for BEDBUGS
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

215 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Toledo, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2011

As part of a wedding group, upon arrival on Thursday night, first 2 reservations were not correct, but taken care of. We needed handicap room, which put us on 2nd floor with all meeting rooms while rest of group was on 6th or 7th floor. Tough to enjoy group atmosphere when you are 4 floors apart. 2nd floor room was clean, but very unappealing, it has not been updated like the upper floors. The grandparents were in a nice room on 7th floor, but it did not have any chairs. When they called to ask for a chair, the response was "sorry, this is how the rooms are." Now the good news, great location for our needs, the morning buffets were great, covered parking(which was needed because of rain ALL weekend). Upper floor rooms were nice.

Room Tip: request room with "chair"
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
SAPErie, Manager at The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, October 31, 2011
Thank you for taking time to write a review for the Avalon Hotel. Our current on-going renovation is a work in progress and I a sorry you did not get to experience one of our newly renovated rooms. The second floor rooms are on a renovation schedule to be completed in 2012. I am sorry a member of our staff did not take the initiative to deliver a banquet chair to your room to ensure adequate seating for your party. I am glad you were able to enjoy our great location to the many attractions in Downtown Erie. I am also glad to hear that you were able to start your day off with breakfast and stay dry with our complimentary covered parking.

We look forward to serving your needs on your next trip to Erie.
Erie, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2011

To start off this business sold me tickets to an event that they knew was not happening. The front desk lady Norma was EXTREMELY rude. Screaming at us, telling us to sit down or get out of the hotel, threating the call the cops etc. She had claimed that since the event had been canceled that we were out of our $120.00 and "Oh well". I Have NEVER experienced this type of treatment from a business in my life. We would have been fine from the start if we would have been told that the event was postponed. We were told that the tickets couldnt be refunded and theres nothing they could do. Only later to find out after researching online that the tickets are actually valid on another date. I will be contacting the front desk lady -Normas boss as soon as possible. Do NOT recommend. I was astonished.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Erie, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

We recently had a group visit our city and stay at the Avalon. The remodeled rooms were clean and well kept. The staff was excelent-going above and beyond to accomodate our guests and their needs. And the Boutique in the lobby is loaded with great gifts! The hotel is central to a great many dining and entertainment venues. Erie is a great place to visit!

Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
SAPErie, Manager at The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, October 19, 2011
Thank you for staying at the Avalon Hotel. Our entire staff appreciates your feedback. We are glad you enjoyed our remodeled rooms, and Downtown Erie, PA.

We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Erie.
Poughkeepsie, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

I recently stayed at the Avalon from a Friday-Sunday in order to attend a friend's wedding. I was extremely impressed at the Saturday breakfast, as I have usually had terrible hotel experiences in this respect. The biscuits and gravy were such a treat, really! My room was clean and comfortable as well and the staff was friendly and competent. There's nothing nicer than getting greeted by not only friendly, but knowledgeable staff. So impressed was I with the front desk staff that I even remembered their names. Ian and Megan were so pleasant and eager to make my stay as comfortable as possible. Thank you for your making my experience a pleasure in so many ways!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Thank your for your comments regarding our friendly staff. We will make sure to share them with our team! I am glad our breakfast helped you start the day off right during your weekend trip to Erie.

We look forward to you seeing you on your next trip to Erie.
Berlin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

This Hotel is nothing extraordinary; the room was clean and simple furnished. Shampoo and Soap in the bathroom. There is a free parking underneath, which is really good. It is also nice, that you can choose your housekeeping service. Either you choose “go green, stay green”, that means that the housekeepers use less chemicals, water and energy to help the environment, but that means less changes of towels and cleaning in general. Or you choose the full program. Anyways, I like companies with ecological standards. The staff was friendly, specially the front desk staff overwhelmed me with their charming kindness. The young man who I was talking to, was extremely supportive and competent. I am on a special diet and he suggested me a really nice restaurant for lunch. I think it was “Pie in the sky”, a small place with a casual atmosphere. And he was also very helpful during the check-in and he didn’t got bothered by all my annoying questions about the hotel and the area. Well, the location of the hotel, is not the best area. But like I said before, he recommended me some fun things to do and interesting places to go. All in all specially the front desk staff (specially this young man) made this stay special to me, the hotel is pretty average.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback regarding the Avalon Hotel. I am glad our staff could make your stay more enjoyable and refer you to a restaurant that met your dietary needs.

Ownership has renovated a number of rooms at the Avalon, I hope you were placed in one, we will continue to add amenities and services to our rooms to further upgrade our product. Thank you for your candid response.

We look forward to serving you on your next trip to Erie.
Barcelona, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2011

We had a really great time there... Really liked all the hotel and their price/quality but the better thing was the guy at the front desk... very kind and helpfull with everything we asked (I think his name was Ian). I wish all the hotels in Spain would had people like this in their receptions. Definetly will come back there when I go to the States!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for your response! I am glad our staff could help make your stay enjoyable and you found our hotel had great price/value for your.

I hope your journey back to Spain was hassle free and our entire staff looks forward to serving you on your next trip to Erie.

Been to The Avalon Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!