“Stay somewhere else!” 1 of 5 stars

Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #21 of 35 Hotels in Erie
“Stay somewhere else!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW via mobile

Stayed here for the Erie Marathon. When making the reservation, I requested late check out, told not a problem (would have gone to a different hotel if I couldn't get it). When checking in I was told it wasn't on my reservation and it might be charged. I checked out 1hr 15 mins late and was charged an extra $45 on a $78 reservation. The staff never told me I was being charged this, it was on the receipt which I had to ask for. I talked with the on-duty manager and got no service, she basically told me that this was my fault because it wasn't in the computer system (keep in mind that I made the reservation over the phone with the staff from this hotel directly). I had to file a formal complaint with the corporate office to get in contact with the franchise owner who did give me a refund. The interaction with the franchise owner was the only positive part of the transaction).

When we first got to our room my two year-old found small items from prior guests on the floor (hair clips).

Other minor issues like a rough general condition of the building (pool shower only works on full hot, stained carpets, cosmetic scratches, wear and tear of an older hotel).

If you must stay here, stay away from pool view rooms, you will hear everything from the pool in your room.

• Stayed September 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

The Erie property is desperately in need of a deep cleaning (both the hall and the room smelled of smoke, despite being on a non-smoking floor). In addition, a refurbishing of bathrooms, in particular, is in order. Dirty, practically moldy-looking grout in the bathroom did not lend confidence to our belief that the rest of the room was well-cleaned. Front desk staff were shockingly unhelpful, bordering on surly. We arrived ten minutes prior to check-in time and were told our room wouldn't be ready for at least another half hour. We were in town for the Erie marathon and needed an extended check-out time. We inquired about a 1:00 p.m. check-out time when we initially checked in (we were there for two nights) and were told that the front desk staff wouldn't know if they could accommodate us in this request until the day of our departure. This answer, in combination with the unfriendliness of the woman who delivered it, was surprising and disappointing in a customer service industry. Not only will we not be back to this property, but this experience has turned us off to the EconoLodge brand generally. We were traveling with our dogs and bookended this trip with stays at the Red Roof Inn, which we found vastly superior in cleanliness, accommodations and service. When we travel with our dogs we will likely restrict ourselves to them.

Room Tip: Asking for a non-smoking room on a non-smoking floor does not guarantee that your room won't sti...
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I stayed at the Econo Lodge the night before the Erie Marathon. When I checked in, I asked whether I could check out two hours late the next morning so that I could come back after the marathon and shower before heading home. I was told that was no problem by the person at the front desk. When I went to check out the next day, I was charged an extra $50 for the late checkout. When I complained to the manager, she told me that nobody would have said to me that it was OK to check out late and that she couldn't credit my hotel bill for the late checkout charges because the hotel would lose money. This level of customer service and the fact that I was fraudulently overbilled is unbelievable. Needless to say, I will never stay at an Econo Lodge again in my life.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled solo
Providence, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Stopped at the Visitor Center on the PA border, found a coupon book & called the hotel. Coupons are only for walk-ins but they had 11 rooms left. The price was unbeatable, and the room they gave us was unbelievable! Spacious room with jacuzzi, huge pool and hot tub available, pretty lobby, friendly desk folks, great breakfast. Made our long interstate drive rewarding. Not to be missed!

Room Tip: The accessible room was spacious
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I get to Erie quite often and have probably stayed at most hotels! I do not know how I missed this property because it turned out to be better than some of the best! My stay was 8-25-2014 and believe me, the word Econo does it a grave injustice!! Room was excellent and service personnel was first class! I am always asked if I will return and I can only unequivocally say--without a doubt and I highly recommend this property to every one. Still can't believe what I've been missing!! LOL...

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Kitchener, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My husband and I stayed the evening of 09/10/14. It was our first stay at this location and we were pleasantly surprised. The room was large and very clean. The hotel had a welcoming entrance and a great indoor pool and hotub area. Conveniently located on Peach Street with all the shopping and restaurants you could ever hope for. It was also adjacent to the "Splash Lagoon" - a great family attraction. We wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel to friends and family.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Waynesboro, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We stayed 9/4,5, and 6th. Room was nicely laid out with 2 sinks, fridge, micro, coffee pot, everything worked and the air conditioner was quiet. We also had a whirlpool tub. The furniture and rug are getting worn but were clean. Only con was the TV which wasn't quite clear , we thought it was the older TV but was cable as it was the same on the new sets in the lobby and breakfast room.. The breakfast had something for everyone and had fresh fruit on the bar every day. We were there for a Motorcycle State Convention.

Room Tip: All the rooms our group had booked were on the 1st floor and had whirlpool tubs. Hint water HAS to...
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!