“OK, friendly & clean, but miss on the details...” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #21 of 35 Hotels in Erie
Cleveland, Ohio
“OK, friendly & clean, but miss on the details...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

I'm a corporate customer so I've seen a few hotel rooms, this is ok generally: Hot breakfast (get there early), decent indoor pool and jacuzzi, clean & has hot water. Internet is speedy enough, tv has more than a few channels and the bed is comfy. Like the in room refrigerator also.

Missed details: Checkout showed a charge for the in room safe that I did not use; A/C was cold but had a heavy perfume smell forcing me to open the window facing Peach street and it's construction noise over and above the heavy traffic we all know about; when the TV is turned on it is on a 'snow channel' fairly loud... bet the neighbors love that noise; Finally, this hotel STILL has smoking rooms so being away from these could be important.
\MustRestSoon

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Bill P, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear Mustrestsoon,

Thank you for sharing you comments about your recent stay at the Econo Lodge, Erie.
I am very pleased to hear that overall you were pleased with your stay and I would like to apologize about the safe fee. However we do have a sign posted at our front desk that states that the fee is optional and that you have 60 days for us to remove it from your bill so we can definately do that for you. Again thank you for sharing your comments and we hope you will stay with us on any future trips that you have in Erie!

Bill Palmer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Not satisfied. Rooms in poor repair and breakfast was non-existent (more on this later). As stated on the elevator license, this property is managed by Scott Enterprises. For those that don't know, Scott Enterprises manages Splash Lagoon and several other restaurants and hotels in the Erie, PA / Peach Street area. Once I found that out I was appalled. You can spend your $$$ across the street then you get the pleasure of staying in a $130 /night 1-star room that is in dire need of repair and renovation. **Hot** breakfast is a joke. I never thought a waffle was considered hot breakfast.?? Staff that manage the breakfast area do a lot of standing around and don't do much to help. Stations were constantly running out of everything with no replenishment. Cereal but no bowls. Coffee with no cream. Waffle makers with no mix. At 9:00am I asked if the stations would be replenished and was told that breakfast ends at 9:30am. Umm...yes that's still 30 minutes. I think when the staff member realized the stupidity of the comment she reluctantly when and attempted to fill some of the stations but some still went empty for 30 minutes. I can only conclude that this is just managements way of saving $$. Remember this is not run by a small operation. Again appalled...you get ripped off for the room and constantly get screwed. Left bad taste and will not bring my family back to any of these Scott Enterprises operations.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Bill P, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
Dear WOrld_Travel_Adv,

I really appreciate you taking the time to share your disappointment with your recent stay at the Erie Econo Lodge. I want to personally apologize that the hotel did not meet your expectations.
We want our guests to have the best stay possible where every area of the hotel is clean, spacious, and quiet and all services are on-time and of highest quality. You can be confident that we will follow-up on your concerns so that others are not inconvenienced as you were.
Again, thank you for making the effort to share your thoughts with us. We value you as a guest and I do want you to know that your concerns are our concerns and that they have been addressed with the staff and our management company.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

We found a bed bug crawling on the wall as soon as it got dark. Soon after, we found 2 more by the microwave. We packed up our stuff and showed the bug to the front desk. The scary part is they didn't even blink, ask any questions or offer us another room when I showed them the bed bug. Makes me think they've dealt with this often. They did apologize and gave us a full refund. Now I just hope we didn't carry any home with us!

• Stayed August 2013
Pgh PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We planned a last minute Splash Lagoon trip for 1 night before a trip to Erie/Presque Isle due to the weather being unusually cold for late July. We knew swimming outside would be limited so decided on budget-friendly Econo for Splash Lagoon package. The hotel runs by itself close to $100 a night which is reasonable for the Erie area but for this hotel itself I think is over-priced.We stayed 1 night, 1 adults, 2 kids, Sun July 28th. There were a good many no's associated with this hotel/stay but its not the worst hotel or Econo Lodge we ever stayed at.This is an ok hotel for Splash lagoon and they provide a free shuttle over and back. If you are not doing the Lagoon, find another place. We also stayed at Days in 5 minutes down the road for the next part of our trip, it is $15 cheaper a night and seems better run, a little cleaner, better breakfast, outdoor pool...

"No" to maintanence! The indoor pool was closed. We were never informed of this when booking the day before. It really wasnt an issue because we were there to do Splash Lagoon Indoor waterpark across the street. Had we just ben passing through or staying there for another reason I would have been upset. We inquired about the pool and were told there were told maintance had all quit and there was no maintanance. If you are coming soon, check on this. It made me nervious if we had a maint issue who would have taken care of it?

No! to good beds, they were older and creaky, not a real comfy sleep.

No! to good neighbors. I know its not the hotels fault but that what you get at these budget hotels, we have stayed in them before. You get a crowd that has no regards for anyone else and scresmed, talked loud and slammed doors till 1:00 AM. i KNOW ITS A HOTEL AND i EXPECT SOME NOISE BUT THIS WAS BEYOND NORMAL NOISE AND WAS RUDE ON THEIR PART,

No! to a decent varitey of breakfast. I know again, its budget but after staying in all sorts of budget hotels, I have seen better variety of foods.

No! to updated rooms, they need some refurbashing and could be a little cleaner. Bedding does seem newer

The Positives..
* Access to Waterpark, interstate/Erie
* Staff pretty friendly
* Pool from what I remember 5 years was nice

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Bill P, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Dear Mellyrussi,

Thank you for sharing comments about your recent stay at Econo Lodge , Erie.
I want to apologize that you were not completely satisfied while you visited our hotel, unfortunately the indoor pool was closed during your stay. I do apologize for that, sometimes we encounter these situations that our beyond our control and for the safety of our guest's we had to close the pool. I do hope that in the future you will give us another chance and stay with us again.

High Ridge, Missouri, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

We stayed here because it was the only hotel we could find with open rooms while driving through on a Friday night. The price was OUTRAGEOUS, but shame on me for not having a reservation in advance. Our room had a king bed and a pull-out sofa and it was clean and comfortable. We slept fine. The continental breakfast was better than expected and included make-your-own waffles. The pool was cool and clean and there was a nice, large hot tub but it was too hot.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the pool area. Some rooms have windows that open into the pool area and I...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Bill P, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear Jalline,

Thank you for sharing comments regarding your recent stay at Econo Lodge, Erie.
I am very pleased to hear that you were happy with your stay with us.
Our mission is to exceed our guest's expectations by providing memorable experiences that reflect the care, pride and expertise of our management and associates.
Thank you again for staying with us at Econo Lodge, Erie and we hope to see you again in the future.

Las Vegas, Nevada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

I had to pay a rediculous rate for this hotel and the room smelled of mildew, the sheets were of poor qualty and the blankets were thin. The curtains were old and the ac was loud. At breakfast, the hard boiledeggs were disgusting and there waasn't much else. Also there was no ice in the ice machine. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Bill P, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear Kondan,

I would like to apologize on behalf of the hotel and it's team. I will make sure that I share your
comments with the staff and management company.
I would also like to let you know that we have some exciting new updates coming soon and hope we will see you again.
Once again please do accept my apologies.

Fayette City, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

Room and bath both spacious. Whirlpool bathtub, made for nice big shower. Wouldn't reccomend using the actual whirlpool, appeared dirty, foreign material/hairs in jet intake, yuck.
Random hair throughout bathroom.
Bed was big and linens appeared clean.
Nasty foreign white globs/stains on couch and curtains, photos attached. Yuck.
Television was older and sound fades with static after so long and goes in and out. A good bit of channels available, so thats a plus.
Mini fridge was ancient and broke, photo attached.
Ice machine on the 1st and 2nd floor do not work, tried both evening and morning, and nothing.
Breakfast was ok, typical.
Honestly, I recommend spending a little more money and staying elsewhere.
Boston's across the street as excellent food and service, and also next to Splash Lagoon.

• Stayed July 2013
Bill P, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Dear Tiffany C.,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay with us here at the Econo Lodge-Erie. All feedback is taken very seriously as we strive to meet each and every one of our guests' needs. I can assure you that your comments will be shared with all the staff and management company. I would also like to let you know that we are working on some new updates to better accommodate our guests' so we hope you'll stay with us again when in Erie.

Bill Palmer

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!