“I think we were ripped off!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Clarion Hotel Bel-Aire Conf. Ctr.

Save Saved
You added Clarion Hotel Bel-Aire Conf. Ctr. to your Saves list
Clarion Hotel Bel-Aire Conf. Ctr.
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2800 W 8th Street, Erie, PA 16505   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #22 of 35 hotels in Erie
Star Lake, New York
“I think we were ripped off!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

We got in fairly late on a Friday afternoon, sort of randomly looking for a place to stay on our way home from a trip. We drove down to the state park to see the Presque Isle lighthouse, then went to look for a room. A nice-looking motel near the beach was full, but the owner recommended this place. We went ahead and got a room because it was getting late and we were tired. They charged me almost $200 for 4 (my husband, two kids and I), and the room smelled badly, sort of like old sweat. The kids wanted to swim and that was fine, the restaurant was fine as well, we just tried to avoid the room. When we did go to bed, the air conditioning unit made weird buzzing sounds about every 15 minutes all night long, and in the morning had spewed water all over itself. We packed up and got out of there. An online search since then shows rates more in the $120 range, which even then I would question given the room quality.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the newer part of the hotel, near the pool/restaurant, maybe that would help.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

131 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Hamilton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

We stayed here by coincidence by winning a room on Priceline. The attendant at the front desk was cheery and answered all my questions. She told us where to park close to our room.

The pool looked nice though we didn't have time to use it. It is right next to the hotel restaurant and lobby and trying to get there from our room without going outside was a challenge since we were in room 210 yet was accessible from the main floor near where we parked. Getting to the pool required taking the stairs or elevator to the 1st floor, walking across a corridor, then taking another set of stairs or elevator back up a flight to the lobby area. Then I realized why the attendant told me to park my car on the other side of the building.

The hotel is old and it is apparent by going down the corridors. The rooms however are clean which was most important.

What we liked was:
1. Professionalism of the attendants.
2. The selection at breakfast.
3. The service at breakfast.
4. The cleanliness of the room.

What we didn't like was:
1. Breakfast was not included. It was an extra $5/person.
2. We asked for a roll-away crib for my 20 month old daughter and the attendant told us it was already in our room. It wasn't. No big deal. I called reception and asked for one to be delivered. I was told it would be sent right up. We waited 20 minutes. When I called again, I was told that the maintenance crew was gone for the day and they would have a driver send one up at 5pm (another 20 minutes). I would have rather them tell me honestly that it would take 40 minutes than set unrealistic expectations.
3. The roll-away crib mattress was disgusting. It had urine stains on it and was clearly not washed. Without any other options, we put a towel on it and I reminded myself that we got a pretty good rate for the room.

All-in-all, it was a decent stay. We MAY stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room closer to the reception area. Bring your own playpen/crib if traveling with infants.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Mena, AR
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Older property but maintained. Have both motel and hotel rooms - so be sure to know what you are getting. It was a good value for a one night travel stop. The furniture was a bit mismatched, but we didn't care, just noticed. The pool area was nicely done - indoor with lots of fun decorations. There are some rooms that have balconies to the pool area -- the 1st floor rooms opened right to the pool area which would be convenient for families.

Room Tip: If you are looking for quiet you might want to avoid a pool-side room.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
NorthCentral PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

I stay here several times a year when traveling to Erie on business. I choose this property because it has the best rate. The staff are always friendly, the room is clean. The pool is nice, and the pool area is kept clean. A big bonus-if you are away from the pool, this is one of the quietest hotels I've ever stayed at. You don't hear noise from other rooms, people going down the hallways, doors slamming...easy to get a full nights sleep before important meetings.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Brighton, Michigan, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

For an older hotel the decor is updated and the rooms neat and clean. Location is great. Not in a busy part of town, but close to where you want to go. There is an in house restaurant that offers room service. Wait service was very polite, food was average, however the fries were outstanding!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Hatboro, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Rooms were okay, neat, clean, nothing special. We were disappointed that our room had no refridgerator or microwave, web-site stated most standard room inluded these. The others we traveled with did have a fridge but we did not. Hotel has nice indoor pool. Restaurant provides a nice breakfast buffet for $5 for those staying at the hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

I know some other people have written positive reviews about this property, but they must have pretty low expectations for hotels.

I recently stayed here for a business meeting that was held at the nearby Bayfront convention center. The rates weren't bad, but you get what you pay for. Unfortunately, I didn't make this reservation myself or I would have stayed elsewhere.

The hotel is older, but is generally kept up well--at least at first glance. Some small, but very important, things have gone overlooked. For example, the bedding is old and worn. The pillows had clean (I think) cases on them, but the pillows themselves smelled of sweat and dirty hair. The mattress was worn out as was most of the furniture in the room. The deadbolt on my room did not work. And, the card readers on the outside doors also did not work. Internet service was free, but if it constantly shuts off or works slowly, then whether or not it's free doesn't really matter.

The worst part, though, was that my shower/tub drain was completely plugged and the mechanism for closing and opening the drain was broken. The tub very quickly filled with water and whatever else came into the tub that had been in the drain (a lot of filth and pipe gunk). It was truly disgusting. I called the front desk to let them know. Their response did not include any apology or offer to change rooms for me, but instead they planned to send over the maintenance guy when he got back from their other property. As it was well past midnight and I had to get up early the next morning, there was no chance that I could wait up for a maintenance man who might or might not show up. I asked the front desk worker to simply discount my bill, which I was told, "He thought he could do." However, the next morning, the bill was slid under my door showing no adjustment.

There was never any apology or follow-up contact. Clearly, the hotel doesn't really care about it's guests, at least based on my experience.

The restaurant on-site was pretty good and I would eat their again. Their menu had a lot more variety then the typical hotel fare, and I enjoyed the options.

The neighborhood of the hotel wasn't good. To get to the hotel, you had to drive past bars/strip clubs, and this was not a place where you would feel comfortable walking around at night.

In sum, it is very well worth paying a bit more to be closer to downtown, are up-to-date, have clean/fresh bedding, and are in good working order. This hotel is not worth it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Been to Clarion Hotel Bel-Aire Conf. Ctr.? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Clarion Hotel Bel-Aire Conf. Ctr.

Address: 2800 W 8th Street, Erie, PA 16505
Location: United States > Pennsylvania > Erie
Ranked #22 of 35 hotels in Erie
Hotel Class:3 star — Clarion Hotel Bel-Aire Conf. Ctr. 3*
The Bel-Aire Clarion is a full-service, locally owned hotel that offers conference rooms and banquet space to accommodate up to 360 people. We have 131 guest rooms, which includes four suites and a parlor. Our hotel facilities comprise an exercise room, a sauna, an indoor atrium pool, and Jacuzzi. We offer off property catering and in-house dining. Victor’s Restaurant offers a daily full hot breakfast buffet day and is open for dinner Monday-Saturday. There are nightly drink specials and an increasing number of celebrity bartending events. We also own another Choice Hotels property, Comfort Inn Presque Isle, less than a mile from the Clarion. Our Comfort Inn has 100 guest rooms, especially to assist with large overnight groups.We are half a mile from Waldameer Amusement Park and Waterworld and a mile from the beaches of Presque Isle. Presque Isle boasts seventeen miles of beaches and biking and walking trails. The Millcreek Mall, fourth largest mall in America, is a quick shuttle or car ride from our hotel.Our location provides us with being the gateway to Erie’s main attractions: Presque isle, downtown, and the Millcreek Mall.Bel-Aire Clarion opened in 1961, giving us over 50 years in business. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Travelocity, Booking.com, Tingo, HotelsClick, Despegar.com, Expedia, Choice Hotels, Hotels.com, BookingOdigeoWL, Venere and Agoda so you can book your Clarion Hotel Bel-Aire Conf. Ctr. reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Clarion Hotel Erie
Clarion Erie
Erie Clarion

If you own or manage Clarion Hotel Bel-Aire Conf. Ctr., register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.