“Good For One Night” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Morgantown, West Virginia
“Good For One Night”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

Everything at this hotel was as good as the Hampton Inn next door. The staff was nice, the room was clean & spacious. the beds were very comfortable. The breakfast was average, but it lacked variety. The cons were lack of TV channels(especially kids channels), the coffee pot leaking, & had to ask for more washcloths. Overall the hotel was good & i would stay there again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

We stayed overnight at this hotel while traveling through the Erie, PA area. I made my reservation on the wingatehotels.com website. The reservation process was smooth and simple. I chose this hotel based on its convenient location and tripadvisor.com reviews. Presque Isle on Lake Erie is only a few minutes from the hotel, and made for a pleasant visit during the evening after we arrived to the hotel.

The hotel was easy to find, being just off I-90, exit 24 to Peach Street, although Peach Street is a very busy highway. Upon my arrival, there was available free parking near the front entrance. Check-in was quick and smooth. There are entrances at each end of the hotel, to avoid carrying your luggage through the front lobby. There were a few available luggage carts near the front entrance. There are two modern elevators near the small pool and fitness area. Our room was on the 3rd floor, and was spacious & clean. We had a double-queen room. The mattresses and pillows were soft and comfortable. There were extra pillows in the room, which were offered as a request as I made my reservation on their website. The bathroom was clean and the shower had a nice massaging showerhead with plenty of water pressure. The flat LCD TV had plenty of available channels, with several of them in HD. There was a small refrigerator and a microwave in our room. The ice machine on our floor was not working, so I had to go to another floor to get ice. There was free wifi internet available in our room. The hotel is right beside the interstate, but I didn’t really hear any noise from outside.

The breakfast was complimentary and included scrambled eggs, but no bacon. It was as good or better than your typical hotel complimentary breakfast, and it certainly is better than driving in the hectic peach street traffic to get breakfast.

Overall I was satisfied with my stay at this hotel. Check-out was as simple as returning the room key cards, since I had already received a check-out receipt under my door earlier that morning. The staff were polite, but didn’t seem overly friendly, although that seemed to be the normal attitude of most people in this area. If traveling through the Erie area again, based on this experience I would probably stay at this same hotel again.

Hamilton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

We stayed for an ovenight on Sat, Jul 28th. People talking in the hallway at 1am, 2:15am and 2:50am woke me up. Either they were quite loud or there is next to no soundproofing. Front desk told me in the morning that I should have called them, but the perpetrators would have been in their rooms before anyone would have gotten to the 4th floor. Only shears fully covered windows - I like a much darker room in the morning.
Smokers area right at the front door so you choke on the overwhelming smell of the smoke coming and going if there are a couple of smokers there.
Mapquest had us turning right on Peach then doing a U turn - bit you should be able to go left and get where you need to go - this hotel is south of highway.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

This hotel was very nice, clean and well attended to, however, I guess I was expecting a little more for the price. The front desk staff was friendly overall, however, they seemed a little stressed at check-in with rooms not ready that should have been. They were very helpful though when I had questions.

There was a large group of teenagers the night we were there and the walls were very thin, thus we heard a lot of noise from the room next door. Also they were unsupervised in the pool area for a long time while my 6 year old son and I were trying to enjoy the pool. It made it a little difficult. Also, the hallway outside the pool has a very shiny tile floor and is very slippery, a real problem when the elevators are right there as well. We didn't fall, but I could definitely see the potential hazard posed.

Breakfast was good with a nice selection of things to chose from, but crowded and there was not enough seating. Maybe we just should have gotten up earlier.

Overall, I didn't have any signifigant problems with this hotel, but I was just expecting a little more for the price we paid. There are many other hotels in the immediate area that are probably just as nice for a lot less money.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

Spent one night in Erie in this hotel. Was impressed by the cleanliness, decor and amenities. It is close to Family First Sports Park and Splash Lagoon. Countless chain restaurants are in the area. Upper Peach shopping and the mall are not far away.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Mount Horeb
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

We stayed at the hotel on our way to and from Boston. I had booked the hotel ahead of time based on convenience to the freeway and the solid reviews on Trip advisor. We arrived at the hotel after a long day of driving. When we walked into the lobby it was deserted of staff. There was a group of people enjoying pizza in the lobby but no one at the desk. My husband, daughter and I walked around looking for someone and called out to see if anyone was nearby. After waiting for several minutes I decided to call the front desk from my cell phone as I stood at the desk. The phone rang and then someone answered it. I said that we were waiting at the desk and there was no one there. The woman responded in a snippy way "yes there is, I can hear you talking!" She then appeared from around a corner and said that she was eating dinner. She was unfriendly at first but then lightened up. It was not a great first impression. We were at the hotel a short time both stays, but found it to be clean and fine. The breakfast was fine, but again the staff could not keep up with the basics. The coffee was empty and the young woman working did not seem to be too concerned. Overall, an o.k. spot to stay for a stop over.

Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

My personal "average" 3 stars is a solid, as-expected, no surprises rating. This hotel delivered on that point. We were in our room for less than 12 hours, so really only had time to experience the late arrival check-in (fine, quick, smooth, professional, friendly), the room for a few short waking hours (no issues; clean, typical but in a good way, meaning nothing to complain about) and the bathroom (again, no issues). When I checked-in, tired from lots of driving, the gentleman at the front desk told me my rate had dropped, which was an unexpected and pleasant surprise. I was too exhausted to ask why, but sure wasn't going to refuse. I had booked a CAA/AAA rate of $115; the front desk gave me a rate of $107 upon check-in. Hey, $8 is $8 - I'll take it. Breakfast was the typical hotel breakfast - meaning, nothing wonderful but enough fuel to get you going in the morning. Check-out was quick and efficient. I didn't give this a 4 star "very good" rating because we only stayed there a few days ago, and I take notes on all our trips, and I've already practically forgotten this place ... which means there was nothing I need to bring up to attention - good or bad. Solid, then, suitable for our needs for a road trip layover (sleep-shower), as we expected - but easily forgettable once left.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Wingate by Wyndham Erie? Share your experiences!