“Motel from hell” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #30 of 35 Hotels in Erie
Verona, Pennsylvania
“Motel from hell”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2015

Made a reservation to stay at Lake Erie Lodge and was quoted a price that upon arriving was raised another twenty dollars. To late to look for another place to stay, so I said to myself, I'll make the best of it. There was no clock or radio in the room, no wash cloths, the phone didn't work and the TV needed programed. The room had a powder residue everywhere, even on the bed, and it sure did smell. If that wasn't bad enough the toilet wouldn't flush. The maintanence guy wanted me to wait two hours till the toilet guy came on duty. It took 45 minutes of discussion and finally I was given another room. What else could go wrong? The curtains in the picture window couldn't close. Now I have the maintainence guy giving me the evil eye, but he did fix the curtain. I had reserved the room for two days but upon completing my business, I checked out of the motel and of course there was no refund of any kind for me not staying the second day. They actually asked me why I was upset. The people who work there, lived there also. They ran around in their pajamas or dressed very sloppy. I've stayed at this motel in the past and all went fairly well. These are new owners or workers that have a lot to learn about hospitality. Not a chance I'll ever stay there again.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2014

We stayed for one night, when we arrived the appearance was okay, it looked clean on the outside, didn't seem to busy. We checked into our room (we had two rooms) when walking into our room it smelled clean, actually like baby powder, we checked the beds ( we do this at every hotel/motel we stay in) the beds are low and hard, the sheets were clean but noticed one bed had a mattress cover on it, the other did not..kinda gross but we only needed one bed so we used the one with the cover. Pillows are old and flat and the pillow cases are to big for them, so that leaves the pillow bare in the ends (yuck!) I used my sweats as a pillow that night. There was a mini fridge and microwave in the room (the fridge door would not shut so it ran constantly!) the baseboards were extremely dirty...the bathroom is old but that seemed clean. Water temp sucks! It gets burning hot then freezing cold. Walls were scratched up and wall paper peeling, curtains were missing hooks and desk chair was broken and in the closet, no clocks in the room and older phones.they don't do the continental breakfast in the winter. There is a random mobile home in the corner lot and there were dogs running around,one belonged to the girl who worked there I believe, the other I don't know who it belonged to but the owner knew the dog (they were friendly but strange to have them just running around) the mobile home looks ruff, sheets hanging in the windows,I think this motel may have permanent visitors living there. With some love this could be a nice hotel, close to the parks and restaurants , nice location, may stay again if desperate.

• Stayed November 2014
Ashville, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2014

I would not recommend this hotel, only one person took shower in room and it was just warm, 2nd person takes shower and water is freezing, not even warm! It was not immediate when 2nd person took shower!
Had adjoining room to friends, could not open doe and they had no one to fix door, so therefore could not be used. That was whole purpose to get adjoining room!
Hall smelt musty and of cigarette smell!

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
Centre Hall, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2014

On 9/20/14 we checked in to room #39 at the Lake Erie Lodge. When I went to go to bed I noticed several small red spots on the sheets. This concerned me but at the time I didn't know what it was. The staff came to the room and changed the sheets. At approx 0130 hrs I woke to find bed bugs crawling on my sheets. After noticing the first bug, I was able to kill it by smashing it with my finger as it crawled across the sheet; it produced a red blood spot on the white sheet. I woke my friend that was sleeping in the other bed and we both checked our beds and learned that my bed was loaded with them; one was actually crawling on my left arm.
I took a picture of one large adult that was on the window drape. We also captured one and placed it in a clear plastic bag. There were juvenile and adult bugs visible. I then woke up an employee to notify her of the situation. She came to our room and when she saw the bugs she apologized and said she has only been working there for a few weeks. Shortly thereafter the manager came to our room and she also observed the bed bugs, her name is Mylieya. She apologized saying that they have been renting that room all week. (I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't notify the other renters of the infestation and they now will most likely have them in their homes.) She offered another room but we declined and then we packed our things and left. Prior to leaving she told me to contact the owner Ali anytime after 12:00 noon to discuss a refund and what action that will be taken to clear up the infestation. I have made several attempts to call Ali but he has never been available when I call. I was assured by Jamieson that he would return my calls. As of 10/19/14 he has not returned any of my calls and has not credited my credit card. STAY AWAY it is obvious the owner could care less about you or the bed bugs infestation!

• Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2014

I stayed here for work and dreaded coming back to the room.
The good: The climate control was decent. That's about it.
The bad: Stained carpet, old bathroom with no counter space, all done in a pukey green color from the 70s/80s. The tub floor was so slick it was unsafe. The beds and pillows were less than comfortable. They charge you up front with to recourse if you do want to leave. Poorly run and poorly maintained. There is no WiFi here either.

Room Tip: Rooms by the office are louder on account of the parties held by the young owners/managers some nigh...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

The lodge is older, but still nice & fairly clean! The staff isn't very friendly though. Housekeeping made the bed, but that's about it. Pool wasn't very clean, plastic bottle & plastic bag floating around in it. However, there is a nice gazebo & a fire pit with chairs if you wanted to make a nice fire & relax outside! Also, only a few tv channels available. Other than that, it's an okay place, good location, next to all kind of restraunts, stores, drive thrus, bars, Waldameer & Presque Isle! Would probably stay again just for the location!

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

We stayed here for one night during a weekend trip with our two youngest (9 and 6). Almost didn't stay here because when I called with some questions I was told one price and when I called back the next day to make reservations I was told that price wasn't correct (and it was insinuated that I'd made it up). We ended up staying anyway as there were no other rooms I could find down near Presque Isle and we didn't want to stay up on Peach St. Check in went smoothly and the man was nice. Our room was clean but very dimly lit and the carpet had seen better days. The room was arranged oddly too (the tv was next to the door and difficult to see from the second bed). They didn't have enough wash cloths for the 4 of us but did have enough towels. It was a little noisy at night but we didn't feel unsafe at any time. Breakfast was okay (english muffins, doughnuts, danishes, cereal, coffee, milk, OJ). The beds were ok but pretty soft and the pillows were flat. There's no Wi-fi in the rooms; only the lobby. I saw that Wi-fi was available and didn't realize they didn't mean in the rooms. The pool was nice and the kids had a good time swimming. They also have a sand volleyball court and gazebo that looked nice. We were able to get discounted Waldameer tickets there so that saved a bit of money. I picked up a brochure up from there for a friend and noticed that it had even different prices on it from what I was quoted or what I paid and was told those weren't correct. Overall, the motel was clean enough but outdated and I feel overpriced for what you get.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to Lake Erie Lodge? Share your experiences!