“Missing in action at the counter: They are always at the back.” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Double Points!
Ranked #12 of 35 hotels in Erie
Toronto
“Missing in action at the counter: They are always at the back.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Counter staff tends to be in the back most of the time or on the phone. Nice people, jut do not seem to understand customer service. I waited 5 minutes just to be acknowledged. Nice hotel, not great staff in my opinion.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
ErieHomewood, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Erie, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
I do apologize that you did not receive the service that our guests deserve. We will use your experience as a retraining tool for the front desk. Feedback is greatly appreciated- these details allow us to assess the services we are providing and make us aware of opportunities for improvement! Next time you are in the area, I hope you will consider staying with us again.

238 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Mentor, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

My family were stranded in ERie on our way back from skiing at Peak N Peak. Our room was clean. The staff was beyond accomidating. They even brushed my car off in the morning. It had been buried in the snow.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Your loyalty to the Erie Homewood is very important to us and we sincerely appreciate you taking the time to provide your feedback. Thanks for the wonderful review!! We look forward to having you back soon.
Clayton, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Other than individuals going to breakfast without shoes or shirts, or coming to eat breakfast in pajamas (health hazard as well as just "annoying"), the Erie Homewood Suites is WONDERFUL. This was our second stay there, and we would definitely return whenever we come to visit family.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
ErieHomewood, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Erie, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Thanks for the fantastic response- we look forward to seeing you again soon!
Sacramento CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Great Location and hotel. I arrived after a difficult drive from Cleveland during white out snow conditions, I needed a drink and a good nights sleep. I arrived just as they were closing up the happy hour reception but Delvin (food manager) was a lifesaver keeping the happy hour going a little longer so I could get my drink and snack on! Rebecca was very helpful at the front desk and they made my stay very nice! Will stay again but I did hear some noise from the highway so Ill stay away from that side of the hotel.

Room Tip: Highway can be noisy if that bothers you
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
ErieHomewood, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Erie, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
We are very happy you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back soon! Thank you for specifically mentioning Delvin and Rebecca- they are great assets to our team.
Key Biscayne, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We have stayed at this property 3 times now and probably will again. I do like the place so it pains me to give it the review I am about to. But the feedback is needed so that they can continue to make improvements, hopefully. We stayed there twice this past year and the last stay was less than desirable.

Pros: Room was conveniently located to exits and spacious. Hotel is close to shopping and local attractions. Food was good. Friendly Staff. There is a nice open carpeted stairwell for those who wish to take the stairs for exercise instead of the elevators. The fitness room was clean. The pool area and jacuzzi were clean.

Cons: The furniture in the room badly needs replaced. It is uncomfortable to sit on the couch or chair in the living area for any length of time. We were there for a week so there was some downtime at night where it was necessary to use the furniture. The only comfortable place to relax was the bed. The furniture was also pretty dirty and worn (see pictures).

We really struggled with getting towels supplied to the room and had to make several trips to the front desk late at night to obtain ones that were taken from the room by housekeeping and not replaced. The desk clerk at night seemed very frustrated when we approached them for the 3rd night in a row to get towels that were not restocked in our room. We're assuming that housekeeping really only makes the bed and that's it.

We were there for a week and no attempt was made by them to clean anything. I used a towel the one night to go over the bathroom floor as it clearly wasn't cleaned all week. You will be able to see by the picture what the towel looked like after using it on the floor. Really really dirty. There was also something on the door to our room that was there when we stayed in June and still there when we stayed in September. It looked like peanut butter (see picture) but I wasn't going to test that out. I just couldn't believe that it was still there after 3 months. (we stayed in the same room both stays). Maybe we just got unlucky that we stayed in the same room both times and the other rooms are much cleaner. This one was not.

Overall the hotel is nice and we really do like staying there, despite what I pointed out in this review. The pool area is clean but again, no towels were supplied or stocked. The breakfast supplied was good. Our room was quiet.

For the most part we enjoyed our stay and will go back probably, but they really need to address the uncomfortable and stained furniture and do some sort of quality check to make sure the rooms are being supplied as they are supposed to with towels. They also take the kitchen dish towel on the first night there and never replace it the whole stay. We encountered that during both of our stays.

It would make it much easier and less stressful on the front desk person to not have to run around and supply towels for guests at night. That job is housekeeping's, but the responsibility is falling on the desk clerk. We noticed several other guests standing there asking for the same thing, towels, on a nightly basis. If I were the front desk clerk, I would be bringing that to Management's attention that they are performing duties that should have been done by the proper staff when they "clean the rooms". On a side note though, any housekeeping staff that we encountered during our stay were all very very nice and accommodating!

If those items were fixed, I would be able to give this hotel a top notch rating, which is what I prefer. I just cannot do that after our last stay and what we encountered. I am hoping that management looks at the review and pictures supplied and works on getting newer, more comfortable furniture in the rooms, and works on some sort of quality check of the rooms to make sure they are cleaned and stocked properly.

They do give you a sheet in the room to fill out when you check in, for things you might want or things that need addressed but after our first night there, we were never given one again and we stayed for a week. The last thing anyone wants to do, or should have to do, late at night and after a long day either out shopping, at the casino, or at Presque Isle is to go back to your room, only to find out that you have to make a trip to the front desk to get towels for your shower, etc.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
ErieHomewood, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Erie, responded to this review, January 12, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We are glad you chose our hotel again during your recent stay and we apologize for the housekeeping problems you encountered. Unclean rooms and poor service are not typical at our hotel and we appreciate you bringing this to our attention. We will make every effort to ensure our rooms meet the highest housekeeping standards. However, I would like to apologize for the other issues as well. We truly appreciate your business and loyalty and we hope you will give us another chance if you visit this area in the future.
Owen Sound
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Beautiful & very comfortable Hotel. Staff are all very pleasant and helpful.
Super comfy beds, great sitting area and so great having ice maker in room, full refridgerator, dishwasher, all the comforts of home. Great Breakfast - will definately return again to this hotel - as we have stayed at this location over the past 3 yrs.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
ErieHomewood, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Erie, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Thank you for the kind words about our staff and hotel. We are so happy you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Chardon Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

I stayed at the Homewood Suites by Hilton in Erie for one night while on business. They are a suite only hotel and I did not have a reservation. I received a $109 walk up rate which I thought was reasonable. The hotel is in the corner of the mall parking lot with a cluster of other hotels. It seems like that keeps things pretty competitive. The traffic in the area is a pain and you have to weave your way through the mall to get to the hotel.

The hotel itself looks in good shape and they were doing some painting in the lobby when I was checking in. There is free Wi-Fi everywhere, including the rooms. I used it for both my work laptop via VPN and my iPad. There seemed to be plenty of parking.

There is a sitting area with fireplace and large TV. This is also where they have their free meals. They have a small workout room and a pool with a spa. I went swimming and sat in the spa for while right before bed and it was a great way to relax. I would have liked the spa a couple of degrees warmer.

The free dinner while I was there consisted of beef stew, biscuits, peas and salad. There was also free beer, wine, and a couple of juices. The stew really was not that good but I ate some extra salad and had an extra biscuit with jelly. I also took a beer back to my room with me. They take the food away at 7:30. There is also a free breakfast starting at 6:30 AM. There was juice, coffee, steamed omelets, bacon, toast, French toast, waffles, and cereal. Nothing was great but it was nice to have a quick bite before I headed off to work.

My room was on the third floor. It was clean and comfortable. The bedroom was a separate room with a door. The sink is outside the shower / toilet area so two people can be getting ready at the same time. There is a closet inside the bedroom and another by the entrance door. Both the living room and bedroom had a larger flat screen TV. The living room had a chair and couch. There was also a Desk, kitchen table with two chairs, and a coffee table.

The kitchen had a free packet of coffee and popcorn with packet of sugar. There was a microwave, cook top, dishwasher, and refrigerator in the kitchen with the basic utensils, plates and pots and pans. I was in room 313 and two windows in the living room and two windows in the bedroom opened.

My bill was slid under my door in the middle of the night so there was no need to check out. I will stay here again when I am in the area on future business trips.

Room Tip: The door in back is right by the elevators and is quickest way in and out.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to complete the review! We are very happy you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back!

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton Erie? Share your experiences!