“Average at Best But A Surprising Flea Market Next Door!” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #18 of 36 Hotels in Erie
Cleveland, Ohio
“Average at Best But A Surprising Flea Market Next Door!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

Hotel had a very sub-standard breakfast with scrambled eggs, 1 make your own waffle machine, breakfast cereals, toast, gravy and biscuits. Stale apples and juice machine. Breakfast area was way too small for hotel size. 24 hour coffee and tea was nice. Fairfield management could take note that other hotels have added extra room for the breakfast area, it just was way too tight and I felt sorry for the worker responsible for so many people. Also, the choices were very slim and just traditional choices. Other hotels in the chain have much better choices such as fresh fruit, breakfast bars, prepared oat meal, and at least one meat, many have multiple meats now, this one had none!

Pool small, no whirlpool and no exercise room. This may be one of the few chains of all Marriott hotels that did not have an exercise room. On the brighter side, the hotel had nice TV's and heater was a thermostat control, but the room lacked sufficient towels, towels were very thin, and had to go to the desk to ask for shampoo. Still waiting for it to be delivered to the room, since the clerk stated she had none and could send it to the room. We never received it.

The hotel is on the grounds of Mill Creek Mall and also has massive restaurant choices within a mile. The best part was having the old flea market only open weekends right next to the hotel with a 1970 game room and jumparoo for kids and tons of things to buy for practically nothing.

The white bed spread had a blue stain on it which was a bit disgusting . Telephones were very old and the room was very electric outlet challenged lacking sufficient number of outlets compared to other hotels in the chain. Internet was fine, a bit slow, but it worked with little trouble.

Room Tip: Nothing really special, just don't expect much more than a standard room
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
FairfieldErie, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Erie, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
Thank you for your review. I would like to apologize for the many service letdowns you experienced during your stay at our hotel. We strive to exceed our guests' expectations, and I take it personally when we fail. I would love for you to contact me at the hotel directly to discuss this in more detail so that we can find a resolution that will not only satisfy you, but also convince you to return to our hotel again on your next visit to Erie. We would like to opportunity to provide you with the service you have come to know and expect from a Marriott product. Once again, thank you for taking the time to write this review, and I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

While Maria at the front desk was indeed very friendly and gave us a lovely welcome, our 1 night stay was less than ideal. We stay in a lot of hotels and have never written a review, but this stay warranted one. First, we had trouble getting in through the front door with our luggage! Only one single swing door in the main entrance, making it difficult to even enter. When we reserved the room, we indicated that there were 4 of us staying and indicated in the comments section that we'd need extra pillows. We found no extra pillows and only three tiny towels in the bathroom. Why ask for what we need when reserving the room if you're not going to read it? We chose the hotel becuase it had a pool and we were traveling with our children. They were more than disappointed to see the sign on the pool door that it was closed--for no discernable reason. When we asked at the desk, they said the pool was indeed closed, but didn't offer an explanation as to why. It would have been nice to hear this at check in before we paraded everyone down to the lobby dressed for a swim. With swimming not an option, we tried to watch some TV, but the reception was so bad that we could barely follow the program! Most upsetting to me was the bedding. I have never before stayed in a hotel where the fitted sheet was unable to stay on the matress, leaving the mattress exposed! The actual mattress! Not covered with any sanitary covering...just the bare mattress! I could barely sleep beccause I kept waking up to try to put the fitted sheet back on the bed so that I wasn't touching the bare mattress. We were also shocked to see that breakfast was only availalble until 9. Again, any Marriot that we've ever stay in has at least offered breakfast until 10. The 9 AM time really makes it harder on traveling families.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
FairfieldErie, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Erie, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Thank you for posting this review and sharing your feedback on what appears to have been a very bad experience at our hotel. Please accept our sincere apology for the long list of service failures you experienced. I would like to discuss the matter directly so that we can work towards a suitable resolution and restore your faith in our hotel and service team. Please contact myself or another member of management at your earliest convenience. Thank you.
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

This Fairfield, is average but very clean. It's what you should get from Fairfield. The front desk folks were great. Our room was clean and everything worked fine. Breakfast was fine other than the sausage they are serving. I don't even know what that is! It sure isn't sausage. However you could find things to fill you up. It's close to a lot of places to eat. The only thing bad I will say is about the pool. Take a look at their website and the photos. Their pool photos show a hot tub behind the pool. I looked in and there was NO hot tub in the pool area. In fact the picture online is definitely not from this hotel. This is not the first time I've had this happen, and it always makes me mad. Part of my decision on a hotel is that they have a hot tub because of my back. If you want a clean, friendly hotel, this place is just fine. Erie hotels tend to be over priced and beat up so this Fairfield is a good bet.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments. I am pleased to hear that there were so many positive experiences during your stay, especially with respect to our staff. I will make sure to pass on your praise to them as well. I do apologize that you were led to believe that we have a hot tub at our property. Unfortunately this feature is no longer available at our hotel, and I am sorry for the confusion this caused. We value your feedback greatly, and hope that you will return to our hotel upon your next visit to Erie. Thank you,
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

We found this hotel to be better than expected. The place was very clean and our room was immaculate. The breakfast was very good - eggs, sausage, waffles, cereal, yogurt (even Greek yogurt), fruit and several varieties of juice. The area is a little small but it is nicely laid out.

They had three different newspapers - even over the weekend. The staff was extra friendly. The hotel is conveniently located with plenty of parking. Our room was very quiet and very comfortable - about as big a room as any I have seen at a Fairfield.

I had a question after my stay and received top notch attention when I called and got a follow-up call, which is pretty unusual in the hotel industry. I'll stay here any time I'm in Erie.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your recent review of the Fairfield Inn Erie. We are glad to hear that you had such a great experience with us, and look forward to seeing you again in the future!
Geneva, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

This hotel was a great place for our girls hockey team to stay. The block rate for the team was $119 a night, including a microwave and refrigerator our room. The staff made you feel as though you were at a Disney resort with their energy, smiles and professionalism. Maria in particular is a gem for the hotel who went the extra mile and made a sign to welcome our team. The queen beds were very comfortable, and the FIVE pillows on each bed were luxurious :) You could smell the 'clean' of the room as you opened the door. The included breakfast was delicious offering a variety of foods from bagels, waffles, eggs, sausage, fresh fruit, muffins, cereal, oatmeal (with nuts, raisins and brown sugar for topping choices!) also they even had Greek yogurt!! If you have time for shopping, the mall is only a parking lot away! I would definitely recommend this hotel! One change I would make to the website is the directions to get to the hotel. You have to actually turn into the shopping center and drive through the parking lot to get to the hotel. It is hard to see the hotel from Interchange road.

Room Tip: You can request a refrigerator and microwave at no extra charge!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for sharing your feedback with us! I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your experience at our hotel, and I will be sure to share it with our team (especially Maria). We hope that you will return to us the next time you are in Erie. Thank you again.
Shinglehouse, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

Spent the night here after dropping our son of at college. Nice comfortable queen beds in the room and lots of pillows. Room was clean. Continental breakfast included scrambled eggs, sausage, English muffins and bagels, fruit, coffee and so on. Plenty to fill up on and start the day. This hotel has a very nice indoor pool but we didn't have an opportunity to use it. Price was right by putting in a bid on Priceline.com. Got the room for $65. This is right next to the Millcreek Mall. Many great places to eat close by.

Room Tip: Only 4 floors but the elevator works fine.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
FairfieldErie, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Erie, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Thank you very much for sharing your experience! I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you on any return trips to Erie! Thank you again.
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

Arrival: We arrived on Thanksgiving evening around 8pm. The hotel is located right next to the mall and near many restaurants.

Check-in: The check-in was the best part of the stay. The employee, Maria, was excellent. Her badge said she was a new employee but she gave great customer service. For having to work on Thanksgiving evening she was friendly, nice and had a great attitude. The check-in process was easy and I must say enjoyable for once. I stay at hotels often, write a lot of reviews and this by far is the best check-in I have ever had!

The room: We have stayed at a few hotels in Erie and this room was an average room for the Erie area. The room had two queen size beds, smaller flat screen TV and appeared to be clean. The room had a view of the mall...we watched the Thanksgiving shoppers at the mall and laughed. To think people would interrupt a day to be thankful to go scrooge shopping is sad but oh well.

Overall the stay was nice and we would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your review! I am pleased to hear that you had such a wonderful experience at our hotel, especially in regards to your encounters with the staff. I will make sure to pass your praise along to my team. Thank you for choosing to stay with us during the holiday, and I hope you will return to us during any future visits to Erie.