“Not up to Marriott standards whatsoever” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #20 of 35 Hotels in Erie
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Not up to Marriott standards whatsoever”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

I'm shocked to see such positive reviews for this hotel. To have Marriott associated to its name clearly reflects it's franchised set up with little quality control. The reality is I have been a Premier Platinum elite member in the past - a top 1% tier of the Marriott customer base, and Bill and his family would do well to get their name off this underinvested, poor service, and poorly maintained hotel. We checked in for 6 nights, but left after two nights. Primarily as a result of two rude, unhelpful, and definitely not Marriott quality front desk staff. The lovely lady who supports breakfast should not feel aggrieved because she understands good service and took note of the fact that we were here in Erie due to my wife's grandmother's funeral. As a leading Director of Sales for some of the largest hotels in London, and whose career includes Marriott, she was particularly shocked at this hotel, especially given she helped open the hotel over ten years ago. We have travelled to hundreds of hotels in the world and this was one of our poorer experiences. What you may ask? It was the little things, it often is but for a basic hotel chain, it's these things that need to be done well...

- hairs on the walls, floors, toilet seats, sinks upon arrival
- room not serviced
- duvet cover was two sheets
- taste of water was strange
- towels were too small
- no hello's, or goodbyes
- no directions to the room
- no explanation of facilities
- upon asking for gym facilities we were told "you have no options around here"

We checked out, moved over to the TownPlace suites that sits behind the Fairfield building. As a newer hotel, with much better service, quality and overall maintenance, this hotel would be a much better location for your next stay in Erie.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
FairfieldErie, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Erie, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience, and I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you felt while you were here with us. Your review is greatly appreciated as it helps us to improve our hotel. I am sorry to hear that your stay did not live up to expectations. We take the cleanliness and upkeep of our hotel very seriously and I will be sure to follow through with our team members to make sure that future guests do not have a similar experience. Your satisfaction is important to us. I hope that you will allow us the opportunity to provide you with the customer service that you deserve should you ever return to the area.
Jennifer Reddinger, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Fort Erie, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I was required to stay here for a Hockey Tournament in March with about 60 young players (6-13) and their families. Compared to other Hotels I have stayed at for several other tournaments this was by far the least accommodating, to say the least. Considering the teams had rented almost the entire Hotel at a higher than normal price, on an otherwise uneventful weekend, this was odd. They actually made us sign a contract stating that they could charge an extra $250.00 fee if our kids were caught running in the hall.

I will not be staying there for the tournament next year.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at the Fairfield Inn. I am sorry that your experience did not live up to your expectations. We take all feedback very seriously. Just to clarify one thing, the form that was filled out upon check in did not indicate that guests could be charged for running in the halls. It did specify that we are a 100% non-smoking hotel, and that a fee of $250 would be assessed in the event that a guest is found to be smoking anywhere inside the hotel (a policy that is enforced among all our guests, not just groups). I apologize that you felt we were not very accommodating. If you would like to contact me directly and further discuss the reasons you felt this way, I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you. Thank you again for your comments.
Woodstock
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

We stayed her for a couple of nights during a shopping trip during March Break. Upon arrival I was not given the room for the price I had booked which was my fault for not reading the conditions for that rate. The girl at the front desk did try her best to get me the next best rate though. The staff was friendly and the hotel itself and the room were clean. The bed was not the most comfortable my wife or I had slept on but it wasn't terrible. The hotel is conveniently located across from the Millcreek Mall which is why I chose to book here. The free breakfast was the typical hotel fare of cereal, muffins, juice, coffee and fresh waffles. All were good and started our day. Coffee and water were available in the lobby throughout the day.
I do not have any complaints about our stay at the Fairfield Inn but in hindsight I probably would stay at one of the many hotels along the Interstate and save a few bucks.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay at the Fairfield Inn. I am pleased to hear that you found our rooms clean and staff friendly. I am sorry that there was an issue with the rate that you had originally booked, but I am glad that you felt we did everything possible to ensure you had the best possible rate for your stay. While there are many options for you to choose from, we do hope that you will return to our hotel in the future. Thank you again.
guelph
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Recently myself and three friends stayed in the fairfield Inn in Erie. I misplaced my iphone and emailed the Inn when i got home. They promptly emailed me back to let me know they found my phone & sent it by fed ex to me immediatley. I do not live in the U.S. and had never been to Erie before. The hospitality everywhere we went was amazing. We even asked to see a manager in a restuarant to praise one of their servers. This hotel was exceptional. Breakfast was repleneshed regularly, as it was a busy busy weekend. I will definately return. Everything was so close by. What a treat!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for your review of the Fairfield Inn! We are delighted to hear that you had such a wonderful stay with us. I am glad we were able to return your iphone to you. We look forward to hosting you again when you next return to Erie. Thank you again.
Burlingotn wi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Stayed there recently for seven days. My daughter who lives in a nearby small town had surgery in Erie. Close to everything you need. Management and staff went above and beyond the "call of duty", really exceptional, even took up a collection to give my daughter a fabulous large gift bag as a thoughtful suprise. I am not a tearful person but it did make me cry. We were both very emotional. Everyone was great and accomodating.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Kitchener
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here over the Canadian Family Day long weekend. Went down to see our local jr hockey team play in Erie and do some shopping for tax-free clothes and shoes! Once we fought our way down Peach St from the highway, we realized the great location of this hotel. It is walking distance to Millcreek Mall (when it's not freezing outside). If you don't want to walk, the drive is easy and you can avoid Peach St! And Dicks and DSW is literally steps away. The room was clean and comfortable, coffee or tea available any time, and breakfast was pretty good (waffles are my favourite). It was definitely busy and so just some advice - the breakfast area is not large, nor is the seating area, so it was very crowded by around 8:30 am. Go down early to avoid some of the crowd and take your breakfast and free newspaper back to your room. On our 2nd morning we went earlier so had more space and got a table but within 15 minutes, it was noisy and crowded so we took a coffee and some muffins to our room. Definitely would stay here again because of the location, clean, comfortable and includes breakfast!

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Buffalo, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is very nice but on the old side.The room was very clean and well maintained the room had nice white linen and the most comfortable beds I would have to say they beat Hampton inn beds. The rooms are clean but old the bathroom is a solid white everything and the tile was cracked and chipped. the room was the old style green carpet room not bright and vibrant like new style fairfeild inns,but it did have HDTVs and very good Internet. The staff were very friendly and the breakfast was very good with the normal food plus there were breakfast sandwiches you could heat up.So after it all I would definitely stay here again very clean very quiet very comfortable and the staff very friendly.Just a bit older.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Fairfield Inn Erie? Share your experiences!