“Pleasantly surprised” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 35 Hotels in Erie
Cleveland, Ohio
“Pleasantly surprised”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

We stayed here for a basketball tournament along with other parents and players. I was pleasantly surprised at the overall cleanliness and service. The room seemed clean and up to date. I liked that the hallways were well lit. It looked like the interior had been recently remodeled. The workers at the reception desk were friendly and helpful whenever I had a request (such as place for our group to eat, contact info for pizza place, more towels), but seemed often busy with customers so sometimes I had to wait. My family appreciated that there was a kiddie pool, hot tub, sauna, good-sized pool, and a fitness center. I was impressed with the higher-end pool furniture - comfortable and well-crafted. The hotel was conveniently close to our tournament at Family First Sports (only 1 minute or so away). We were also close to Krispy Kreme (hot and fresh glazed donuts!), Walmart (for forgotten items and snacks), and other restaurants. The rate was reasonable. Would stay there again. Our room had a balcony which would have been nice to use if the weather had been nice.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
VICKI M, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Erie, responded to this review, May 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience about our facility and our staff. It is always nice to hear postive feedfeed. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and I hope you will choose the Courtyard by Marriott Erie for your future travels.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Reading, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

I am actually writing this before I check so I don't forget to do it later. My purpose was to attend an event in conference hall attached to the hotel. My union booked the room for me so I really didn't have a choice. What a great surprise! Hubby and I had a whirlpool tub King room and it was very spacious and accommodating with a nice pullout couch and hidden refrigerator. Someone wrote about the counter space in another review but we were fine and put all of our items on the shelves provided. We did not use the little bistro however we used the pool and hot tub daily. This morning we almost panicked because the hot tub was taped off but the front desk staff directed us to walked around the hallway to the Hilton and we could use theirs...NICE!!!!! It was just as hot and comforting as Courtyard's. The staff from the room attendants to the front desk were very warm and friendly. Literally greeted us with a smile. We plan on coming back in the summer to go to Pesching State Park with the kids and would love to book here. it was a nice getaway for hubby and I!

• Stayed February 2013
VICKI M, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Erie, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share these wonderful comments about our staff and facility. I am certainly going to share this review at our daily meeting. Positive comments like the ones you shared definately keep the staff motivated and proud.. I am looking forward to seeing you during your next visit to Erie. Again, thanks for sharing.
Chesterland, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Rates here can be astronomical but the property is just adequate. The new lobby is great but the guest rooms are well worn and thats where you spend your time. I guess we expected more from this property. Other Marriot properties in the area are suite-style and deliver a better experience, including free breakfast. We would not choose to stay here again. Pick the Hilton Garden Inn which is adjacent to the Courtyard for a higher quality experience.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
VICKI M, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Erie, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about our facility. We are very excited to share that we will be up and coming a renovation in the near future. The lobby was the first step of this beautiful project. Once this project is complete, I am sure you will find our rooms to be one of the best in the area. I can also understand your concerns with not providing a complimentary breakfast. This was a desicion from Marriott directly and that all Courtyard's would be switching over to the Bistro concept. Although the breakfast is not incuded, the food is fantastic and reasonably priced. We also added the touch of the Starbucks coffee as well. I hope that you will give us another chance in the future to make your stay a memorable one.
Guelph, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

Front desk staff were very friendly and accomodating to our needs. Due to circumstances we required a late check out at he last minute and they had no issue in granting our request.
Well situated to the highway and shopping. Overall a great stay, comfortable and quiet.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
VICKI M, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Erie, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful comments about our facility and staff. We hope that you will chose to stay with us again on your next travels to Erie.
Cambridge, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

Hotel looks nice but after check in went to use indoor pool, found it was closed for maintenance. Not told when we arrived and no compensation offered. This hotel does not offer an inclusive rate for breakfast only on weekend. Many other hotels in area offfer better deal for rate.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
GSMCY, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Erie, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Dear jimbos60,

We appologize that you were not informed when you checked in that the pool was closed due to maintence repair. However we do have a partnering hotel that allowed us to use their pool during the time that ours was closed. We also do offer breakfast packages any day of the week that is included in the room rate. We are not sure how you reserved your room.

We wish to have you back in the future and encourage you to call and ask about our pool and breakfast packages.

Thank you for your response and review on tripadvisor.com.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is very clean and kid friendly. My husband and I booked a trip at splash lagoon and unfortunately the Courtyard Marriott was booked so we decided to stay somewhere else and missed the cleanliness of this hotel. The staff isn't the friendliest, but it is clean and enjoyable to stay.

• Stayed September 2012
Dear michellecinci,

We are very sorry that we were sold out during the time that you were in town. Please next time, give us a call earlier so we can get you in on a guaranteed reservation. We appreciate your comments and review on tripadvisor.com

Thank you again!
Cleveland, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

I always try to look at the positive in any hotel I visit, however, I am unable to say one positive thing about my experience! Here are the facts: 1. There were no other rooms available in the area and it was a last minute "Mom's weekend", so I choked down the cost of $329.00 PLUS TAX FOR ONE NIGHT'S STAY! 2. The cable TV didn't work, in spite of two mechanical engineers working on it for over an hour. 3. By the time they were out of there it was late and my friend and I tried watching a movie on our computer and we got a scolding phone call from the front desk to "keep it down ladies". 4. Internet kept picking up the hotel next door and would not let me sign in requiring numerous calls to the front desk. 5. The room was dated, the furniture worn and nothing looked clean. 6. Finally, to add insult in injury, the bill included three (3) Market beverage charges that we did not make totally $6.50! They tried to ARGUE with me over it, as if I was a thief and a liar! Marriott should be embarrassed that their name is on this establishment, as it reflects very poorly on the chain.

Room Tip: Don't be fooled by the good Marriott name. Rooms are run down.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Dear rinkrover,

On behalf of The Courtyard by Marriott in Erie, Pa, I would like to take this time to sincerely appologize for the experiences you may have encountered during your recent stay with us. Here at the Courtyard by Marriott we take pride in ensurring that each guest's stay is their best ever. The room renovation process is in place. We have completely the renovated the lobby. We completed the television upgrades in all of the rooms to 42 inch flatscreens. The next renovation process would be replacing the furniture in the rooms which is on track to be completed by the end of 2013. Once again, we appologize for the inconveniences that occurred. If any of this would to occur again, we prefer that you would speak with the manager on duty, who would be more than willing to accomodate you in any way possible. We hope that you visit us again and we correct it with a great stay.

Thanks again for your response, as it helps us better our hotel!

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Erie? Share your experiences!