“Older facility, nice breakfast, comfortable rooms” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #23 of 35 Hotels in Erie
Heartland Illinois
“Older facility, nice breakfast, comfortable rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Our check-in and check-out was quick and efficient. Staff were courteous. Our room was very comfortable and the breakfast was much better than we experience at most motels. It was conveniently located for our needs.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
QualityInnErie, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Hello,

Thank you for your review. We are very happy you enjoyed your stay with us. Hope to see you again soon!

Tony

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Milwaukee, WI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We were driving back to Milwaukee from Boston and figured this was a nice halfway point to stay. Most of the hotels were booked in the area so we tried our luck with Hotwire. We ended up with this hotel. While we were driving there we were getting a little scared reading the reviews on various websites. We checked in pretty late and right away noticed a lot of people hanging outside drinking and smoking. I found out quickly that a casino was nearby so apparently this was a hotel to crash at after a night at the casino. Not the best place for kids in my mind. We checked in and found out that we had smoking rooms. I couldn't remember the last time I was at a hotel where smoking was allowed in rooms. Approaching our room we noticed the exterior of the hotel was in rough shape and the A/C units were dripping water across the walkway to our room so everyone got their shoes all wet. We entered our room and the smell wasn't too bad for being a smoking room. It wasn't the worst hotel room but certainly wasn't the best either. The matresses were a little rough. Again, it didn't seems like a family crowd stayed here. At one point in the night I woke up to someone screaming "open up, this is the [--] police!".

The hotel did have an outdoor pool which we didn't have time to use. Also, a bar with pool tables. Free breakfast buffet was included which was decent. A variety of hot and cold foods. I think the breakfast pushed my rating to Average from Poor. I paid around $150/night for the room. I would say this room was worth maybe $50/night so again that's another reason for the average rating.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
QualityInnErie, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Hello,

Thank you for your review. Our apologies for any inconveniences our other guests that evening may have caused you. We had no reports of the police coming to the hotel that night. However, we will look into this. We are happy you enjoyed our breakfast, and hope you give us another chance if ever in the area again.

Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Check in was easy and fast. After a long day at the beach that was welcome! Beds were very comfortable and the space was just what I needed. The only thing that didn't work out well is that my room key was only programmed for 1 night stay, but I stayed two. They fixed the problem quickly, but it was an aggravation to have to go back to the main office. The bathroom could have used a little more attention, but overall the value for the room was great.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Hello,

Thank you for your review. Our apologies about your room keys only being programmed for 1 night. We will review this with our front desk asap. We are glad you enjoyed your stay.

Pittsburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

While this facility is older on the NEW FLASHY RESORT scale the stay was quite wonderful. The room was clean and comfortable, Bedding new and quite comfortable. Wi Fi readily accessible,
When we arrived the front desk person assigned us a non smoking room, he explained that since we requested a frig they were the only ones with them. He however was able to find a smoking room with a frig. Upon trying the keys we found they did not work but were recharged and the FD attendant called maintence to meet us at room if we still had a problem, Kudos for picking up the phone and making a call right away even though not needed.

The breakfast buffet was quite filling, Eggs, bacon, toast, waffles, pancakes, juice and coffee were readily available. When the bacon ran out the attendant filled with link sausage.
Even later in the AM when my partner awoke coffee was still plentiful as were bagels and hand fruit. The pool looked clean and inviting though we did not swim.

The AM desk attendant was helpful in furnishing some toothbrushes with paste built in. (opps we forgot that). She was quite pleasant discussing Waldemeer park history, one of the reasons for the trip.

The property is continuing to renovate. The only upgrade at this time I might consider are flat screen TVs (they are coming way down in price)

I noticed several maintence staff running around Saturday AM to fix things for the guests.

I would recommend this property to anyone staying in the area or traveling through. It is not the Name brand suites but it is not $200+ a night.

Kudos also to Ryan F, the GM wish I could have met him to tell him personally.

Room Tip: Even number rooms face the pool and it is not 100% non smoking.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
QualityInnErie, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
Hello,

Thank you for the wonderful review!

Erie, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

First off, You get what you pay for...I get it, the hotel isn't a total scum hole but definitely isn't worth the rate. The management and staff in my opinion are either clueless or incompetent. I paid cash for this room and gladly put the hold on my credit card for incidentals....like most hotels require. The issue is that after 3-4 days when my card hadn't been refunded, I called the hotel and they assured me it was still pending the hold but would be refunded in no more than 3-4 days but can sometimes take up to 10 business days depending on your bank? Okay, I called there 3 times inquiring about this after the '3-4' days passed and every time the same thing was said, " we can't expedite the refund sir, just be patient and it will go through"? After 10 days and no refund...I called yet again. This time they tell me that the card was charged due to burn marks in the comforter?... This was the first i hear of this after 3 prior calls?? Thing is, the comforter was never on the bed, because as a frequent hotel stayer..... as everyone knows, the first thing you do when staying at a hotel, especially one like the Quality Inn, is pull the comforter off the bed? My issue is, This should have been said to me the first, if not the second or even third time I called asking about the hold on my card..right? Something just seems fishy here? Anyway...needless to say, I won't be getting my incidental deposit back...or staying at any of these hotels again (this isn't the only issue with a Quality Inn, had another one not even a week apart, putting a hold on my card and I didn't even stay there "Quality Inn Fairview PA). My advice is STEER CLEAR of this establishment if you want to save yourself a headache!

Room Tip: Sleep in your car....you'll be better off
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
QualityInnErie, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Hello,

I have discussed this with my executive housekeeper and she confirmed there were no burn marks in the comforter prior to you staying with us. Unfortunately, this is why we need to take incidental holds from all guests. I am not sure why you were not informed of this charge until after 10 days and for that I apologize and will investigate on our end.

Oshawa, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

When we first walked into our room it stunk like mold where the wallpaper meets the ceiling was black. Went out for the day when we came back they were digging up the sewers right outside our door so the cold water was turned off. If you wanted to take a shower it had to be in very hot water, and the toilet wouldnt flush. The next day the same thing no water. When we asked for a discout we were told we would have to talk to the manger who was conveniently sick that day.A tip to anyone out there DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Hello,

Our apologies about the water issues we were having during your stay with us. Please contact me at your earliest convience to discuss what I can do for you.
814.864.4911

Cleveland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

This place was supposed to be "remodeled", so with that in mind, check-in was acceptable, lobby I think goy the most of the remodel, computer in business center was inop, I got to my room and my first thought was getting a tetanus shot from the rusty door, gotta love the remodel. The a/c was inoperative, when the maint guy came he was cursing that he had fixed it earlier, the only thing missing was some duct tape holding it together............remodel ?? All in all, I have seen worse, but I can't remember when. The only bright star was breakfast except that it was served at 6:30 ( tip, bump it up to 6 am so your workers who keep you property afloat can eat, got it ). Breakfast was the only reason I gave a second star. Could have written more, but fingers hurt. Stay somewhere else, Comfort Inn or Econolodge down the street. That is where I shall leave my money.

Room Tip: go somewhere else.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
QualityInnErie, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Hello,

Thank you for your review. The entire facility has been remodeled. We are not aware of any rusty doors however. If you wouldn't mind, please contact the hotel and ask for either Tony or myself so we can look into what room you stayed in.

Ryan

Been to Quality Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!