“Last minute camp trip canceled because of rain” 2 of 5 stars

El Patio Motel
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2950 W Lake Rd, Erie, PA 16505   |
Ranked #33 of 35 Hotels in Erie
Butler, Pennsylvania, United States
“Last minute camp trip canceled because of rain”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

My girlfriends and I planned to camp out on the beach at Lake Erie but due to some storms that were headed into the area for the evening we decided to find the closest hotel with availablity at the last minute. The only reason I've given a 2 instead of a 1 was because of the lady who ran Choo-Choo's she was super sweet and friendly. Aside form that......food under the beds, not to mention other unmentionable stains and nasty bathrooms. Better than an outhouse at the beach but for a hotel they certainly need to make some improvments to this run down, what used to be a nice motel.

Room Tip: Drink heavily
Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Never stay there, I would of left but my husband was tired, the bathroom was so old had a hole in the window and mold in the shower, ciggaret burns on the bedding, sheets were clean only good thing I can say, I never even took a shower didn't want to touch the towels, there were people yelling outside,in the morning the lady at the front counter had her feet up on the desk and was rude, I would never stay there again and would never tell any one too stay there, awful.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Hubbard, Ohio, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Use to be a nice place but haven't been for a couple years so reserved a room for last weekend cost 195.00 a night got there opened door and about puked it stunk SO BAD it was a non smoking room, smelt like a wet ash tray mixed with mildew and something dead. the big window was covered with flys I'm talking hundreds buzzing all around. needless to say I wouldn't let my dog spend the night there. went and told the office and they acted like they didn't know. Tried to give us another room the floor was rotted and the drop cealling was wet and had black mold on it. This place belongs on Hotel Hell. We did not stay.

Room Tip: if you stay go upstairs.
Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Finger Lakes
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

This hotel was recommended by the local friend we were visiting. After our experience her family said "wow it USED to be a nice place"

This was the first hotel we stopped at in Erie; The proprietor actually said "I'll be getting out of this hole soon" when we checked in. The room cost $120 because it was the last open room, and was a king with a jacuzzi. A strange guy came in behind us and sort of stood there until he heard what room we were taking, then he skedaddled out of the office. Very strange.

As we attempted to enter the room, I was propositioned by a petite, half-naked Puerto Rican woman sitting on a bench by her door, she called me "Mama Sita" repeatedly, and THEN several of the "permanent" residents told my husband he must be "Jacked" because we took the Jacuzzi sweet. We couldn't get the door locked behind us fast enough. We realized these people are section 8 and LIVE at this establishment.

We were shocked to see that the Jacuzzi tub was DUCT TAPED TO THE FLOOR! The shower was running and wouldn't stop and it was TOTALLY beat up. You could see people waiting, standing outside our window. My husband said "I would only sleep here with one eye open and a shotgun in my hand."

We knew we couldn't stay when we saw the huge, wet, black mold looking hole in the ceiling above the bed! As we left the room, a guy who lived there followed us and asked if we were staying...my husband said "Nope, it's a little rough for us in there" and he wanted us to GO IN HIS ROOM!!! He said we should come in and see it because Studios there are nice. Please note: It's past midnight at this point.

We went to get our money back and the front desk guy said "good luck finding a room in Erie on a Friday night" my husband told the proprietor we would sleep in our van before we stayed at the El Patio!

We went to the Comfort Inn where the rooms usually go for around $200 a night. The Front Desk guy said "This is our usual rate, tell me why I should give you a discount" And I proceeded to tell him the aforementioned experience! He said "OH NO YOU DID NOT GO TO THE EL PATIO!" and gave us the room for $60 for the night. HA even the Comfort Inn Guy said "Oh Lord there HAD to be a camera in that ceiling. Somebody upstairs would have been pay-per-viewing whatever went on in your bed that night!"

I really regret not having photographed that room. I was afraid to put my stuff down on the carpet. I have worked at a 5 star hotel, and now work at a smaller mom & pop, older style resort. Seriously, the El Patio is disgusting. About the only thing they keep up is the pool and bar....to lure in unwary travelers.

It never occurred to me to take a picture! I just wanted to get out of there before we got bedbugs or crabs. If you want to put your life in your hands, and have regular access to crack, this is the hotel for you.

Room Tip: Run away with the *&^% streaming behind you.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Indianapolis, IN
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

This motel is awful. It was the last room in town when a family member was in ICU and we took it sight unseen. There was pee on the toilet seat. There were smudges on the sheets. There were stains on everything. There were people skinny dipping in the pool. Everyone was drunk. We finally left and slept at the hospital.

This hotel exists for people to get drunk.

To top it off, it was $145 a night.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Kittanning, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

Omg this was the worst place I have ever stayed. The room was filthy, bugs, cob webs,holes in the walls. Stayed 5days and room was only cleaned 1x had to ask for towels, toilet paper each day.Definatly not for a family, If u like to party u might like it here. Never felt safe seemed like drug deals and alot of fighting. cleaning ladies were very nasty.Most of the lights in the room would not work very dark.would never stay here again would sleep in my car first.never heard a good thing about this place from the other people that were staying.one couple walked in the room and walked back out and got their money back. This place needs shut down.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Somerset, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

I recently spent the weekend at the roar on the shore in Erie. We stayed at the El patio motel. The accommodations were great. But the greatest part of the trip was the choo choo lounge. ( which i frequented often lol) the bartenders Victoria and Michele where truly awesome.(very easy on the eyes also) Service with a great big beautiful smile. I definetly recommend it to everyone. I will definetly be back soon. Keep up the great work girls.

Bud......

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to El Patio Motel? Share your experiences!