“Better than average room at a lower than average price.” 4 of 5 stars

Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #10 of 35 Hotels in Erie
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Pittsburgh
“Better than average room at a lower than average price.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2009

We've stayed at the Townplace Suites in Erie twice and have been pleased with our stay both times. The hotel is a little tricky to find - it's behind the Millcreek Mall and you have to wind your way through the mall parking lot to get to it. But once there, you'll find a hotel that feels fresh, clean and up-to-date. We traveled with friends and got a two bedroom suite, which really is like a small apartment, with two reasonably sized bedrooms, each with a queen bed. The rooms also have their own heating / cooling units and each has a flat panel TV. There is one generously sized bathroom, which was clean and up-to-date, with a hairdryer in the top drawer of the vanity. There is also a living room / kitchen area with an easy chair, sofa bed, desk, and table that could be used for dining. A third TV is in this area. The kitchen has granite counters with a fridge, sink, disposal, dishwasher, stove and microwave. Basic dishware and cleaning supplies are in the kitchen cabinets. The living area is not spacious - the furniture is a little crowded, but it's big enough to work well. The heating / AC units are a little noisy. The hotel has a pool and exercise room, which we did not use. A breakfast is include with the room price in a central breakfast room, which was big enough to accomodate the flow of guests. Hot waffles, cereal, bagels, pastries, yogurt and fruit were include in the breakfast options. The hotel also has a small convenience store featuring snacks and microwavable food. Wireless internet access was provided and worked well. Checkout was fast and efficient. Since our room was shared by 4 adults, the price per person was very competative with what two rooms would have cost us at a budget hotel that would not have been as nice.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2009

Great hotel, perfect location for shoppers and sightseeing. Full kitchen in every room, free breakfast and parking. Only 10 minutes to casino, or Presque Isle State Park, only one hour to Grove City Outlet Malls.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2009

I stayed here for two nights for the Erie Marathon. It was perfect for what I needed- a place to chill out before and after running a half marathon, where I could have food in my room, and soothe my muscles in an indoor pool and hot tub. The room was very nicely decorated and everything seemed very clean and new. The bathroom was sparkling clean, the bed really comfortable. It's located next to the mall, which is very central. But be warned that you pretty much have to drive anywhere you go; this is in a suburban "big box" area, not a neighborhood where you can actually walk to places. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
Toledo, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2009

We travel to Erie often so I'm checking out all the hotels/B&B's. This one wins for the category of "Best Decorating". I loved the contemporary decorating. They've used a lot of cool fabrics and furninshing ideas. Our studio had a small kitchen with stainless appliances and granite coutertops. Breakfast is always good when you can make your own waffle. So why didn't this get a 5 star rating? The two problems were a soft bed (the kind where both people roll to the middle) and noise issues. I woke up around 5:30am and couldn't go back sleep because I could hear every footstep in the room above me. I knew when they turned on their light/fan, as the fans in the bathroom are extremely loud. I heard their shower go on. And I have really bad hearing so you know the walls and floors are paper-thin.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Mentor Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2009

I would recommend this hotel. First we were in a Room with a King bed, plus a pull out couch. We let the 2 teenage girls have the big bed. Well, in the morning after almost no sleep because of the crummy mattress on the pull out couch, I went downstairs and asked if they had a room with 2 queen beds instead. and Suggested that they recomend the couches for small children only. Well the nice person in charge, I think her name was Amanda Pritchard, moved us to their best suite available. A 2 bedroom suite. I was overjoyed. The beds were so comfortable, and it was great having the girls with their own room. They loved it too.
The grill outside is for guests to use, so we grilled hotdogs one night. Very nice.
The hotel is very close to the Mill Creek mall, like right behind it. And things like the Zoo, Casino and Waldameer park were all just 10 minutes away.

Even though the first room was not good because of the couch/bed, the rest of the room was great. It would be fine for a couple, or couple with 2 small children.

Enjoyed our stay thoroughly.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Gettysburg, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2009

The rate of $129 was actually low for this area. SO many hotels of the same or LESSER quality cost this and more. We stayed an extra night and had to go to the Super 8 (review on TA) and realized how spoiled we had been at the TownePlace. I have a complaint about TownePlace but its a worthless stupid complaint to Marriott itself. I hate the single door entrance and tiny lobby check in area. It is attractive but just to small. ANYWAY the studio room my family stayed in was clean and very nice. The location is very convienent to everything. I mean you drive a few miles to the beach are etc but that was always a fun drive. All the shopping you need is there but we had so much fun I never went shopping once. This is really saying something. The breakfast the hotel offers is very nice. Walffles, eggs, yogurt, cereal, juices. Nothing amazing about breakfast other then the woman who works it in the am. Please, if you stay here, say hello to Beth. She is a very nice woman and deserves your smile every am. Of all the things about Erie I have memories of her in my heart. She is very special. The other staff was helpful and nice too. The pool was on the small side and my son was so dang spoiled from the water park etc he didnt even want to waste his time in it! It wasnt cold it was just small and only up to 4ft. The hot tub was large and clean. I would stay here again for sure although I do like a nice view which you will not get here. Oh and you will hear kids running on the floors above you. Maybe the top floor is the best choice.I also want to say that the business center is 2 computers and a printer and the screens and your back are to the lobby so everyone can read your email with you. Anyway, it is clean and nice and I would be happy to stay again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Glenshaw, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2009

We booked this hotel online and got the AAA discount. We reserved a king studio. It was a bit cramped for two adults but ok for the two nights we were there. The first thing we did was get into the hot tub as it was raining upon our arrival and we were cold. The hotel has a great indoor pool and hot tub area - lots of families there enjoying themselves even on a rainy day. The hotel had a breakfast in the morning of bagels, cereal, juice etc. We like a typical egg breakfast so cooked in our room. The pots and pans provided leaved a lot to be desired as was the stove. It took forever to heat up. The kitchen is tiny - no real prep area. The bed was firm and the bathroom large. Everything was very clean. The room was a bit noisy but I turned on the fan for sleeping so we didn't hear any hallway noise. The staff was so very friendly - even working on a holiday. We go to Erie at least once a year and will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to TownePlace Suites by Marriott Erie? Share your experiences!