“Erie for 1 night” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Aurora, IL
“Erie for 1 night”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Enroute to Cooperstown, NY from Chicago, we used Erie as our stopping point for the 2 day road trip. The hotel was impeccably clean...which is big deal for me. It was also up-to-date and modern. I have stayed in plenty of the brand and this one is no less than what you would expect from a Marriott brand hotel. I recommend!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Tim H, Director of Sales at TownePlace Suites by Marriott Erie, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Thank you for your kind review, I am happy to hear that you found us clean and comfortable. We hope to see you again during your future travels.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

We were there on Aug 2-3 and had a king suite. Let me start off by saying that the sofa bed was extremely uncomfortable. When we began to make the bed, we noticed several hairs (not from one's head) on the blanket covering the matress. I contacted the front desk to inform them, but was told that the cleaning staff had already gone home. My call was to just inform the front desk so they could make note as my intention was not to have housekeeping come upstairs and take off a couple of hairs. When putting sheets on the sofabed, my wife noticed a yellow stain on the comforter (unsure what it was, b/c i was afraid to touch/smell it). I called the front desk to ask for a new comforter but was informed that they did not have any more. Odd that there were not any extras in the entire hotel...
The front desk offered to wash it instead, but by the time it was done, we had already made a deal with the guests next door for their comforter.
To me, it just didnt seem like the staff was all that concerned or apologetic.

Other than that, the rooms are ok. Like the review below i found the tv to be in an awkward position in the room.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Let me begin by apologizing for the conditions of the pull out sofa sleeper in your room, as well as the stain on your comforter - both of these isses are unacceptable. The TV is mounted akwardly in the room, however it is mounted on a fully adjustable swivel base. You can actually pull the tv away from the wall and turn it almost 90 degrees to the left or right, enabling you to view it comfortably from almost anywhere in the room. We appreciate you staying with us and hope that you give us another chance.
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

Stayed one night with two kids and found the TownePlace to be adequate but lots of room for improvement.

Location wise it's located beside two other "suites" type places in the far end of a tired mall parking lot and I found it actually pretty hard to find - it's tucked in behind the Fairfield Inn and the Homewood Suites and only stumbled on driving around the parking lot because the GPS said I was there. It's located beside a major highway but didn't really hear any noise in the unit.
The purpose of the trip was mainly for Splash Lagoon and I weighed staying at the three facilities connected to the waterpark or the others that are across the road, but thought this would be a good alternative since many of the others were booked. It looks about 5 min away on a map, but in fact there is a ton of traffic lights and finding the place isnt' easy so it took about 20 minutes, so for anyone else looking for accomodation for splash lagoon i'd choose the places closer or connected, especially in the winter - it was a long way away when you're tired after a day at the water park.

Four storey building. one elevator.

This is a relatively new facility with new looking lobby, carpet, and rooms. The king studio/sofabed was somewhat disappointing in that it was advertised as 305 sq ft but was one of the smallest hotel rooms I have ever stayed in and found it to be very small especially with the sofa bed out. the kitchen layout was ok, and the desk area as well. the sofa bed mattress completely inadquate for anyone but a small child. My 40lb daughter just found it bearable but it would really not do for anyone heavier and definitely not an adult. These need to be replaced with real mattresses. I have never as well not had the sheets already prepared for a sofa bed - normally you just unfold it and they have already been prepared - but in this case they weren't - so we had to hunt them down in the closet and make the bed - and they had a rough wool blanket that looked prison issue, with one sheet. The duvet for the king bed also was extremely thin and worn down, and quite substandard. If you are the kind of person who likes a cosy bed - this wasn't it.

Bathroom was adequate, although they don't include a bathmat towel so had to use one of the main towels for this purpose - also quite strange. Fan didn't work in the bathroom.

Small flatscreen - the cable was all wonky with only about 10 channels working - whereas you were supposed to get about 60 channels including HBO. When I mentioned this to the front desk, they said "oh yes, that tv isn't ours and isn't programmed right" - so why did you put me in that room, or even mention it to me when you checked me in? i mean come on, basic stuff here.

Wifi wouldn't work in the room on either device - although it worked in the lobby so it wasn't my devices. Also mentioned to front desk. No solution.

The best part of this place was the free breakfast - which had a good selection, but missing something hot - like eggs or bacon, or potatoes. Most popular was the make your own waffle. Other people mentioned they missed the eggs or something similar which i take it is a staple of the "free breakfast" at this type of hotel. two staff worked the breakfast and kept it stocked.

We checked out the pool and hottub - pool was small but that's what you are going to get in a 4 storey small hotel. No towels which they provide and don't want you using the room ones. Went to the front desk and mentioned we needed towels. Took about 30 minutes before someone came - thanks for getting on that quick....

So overall, it's not a bad place, but they really failed pretty hard at some basic stuff, and really need to make a point of improvement. We were only there one night and weren't there a lot but this would be totally inadequate for a multi-day stay. Wifi that works, tv that works, towels at the pool etc this is stuff you shouldn't have to spend your limited time there troubleshooting.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Tim H, Director of Sales at TownePlace Suites by Marriott Erie, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Thank you for your response, I am sorry to hear that traffic on Peach Street (the street you traveled on to Splash Lagoon) was a nightmare of traffic lights. We typically recommend hopping on I-79 for one mile south then hitting I-90 for one mile east. When you exit I-90 Splash Lagoon is in front of you off to the right. It is a bit further but so much faster as you only encounter 3 stoplights during the trip.

Our hotel is horseshoe shaped so we actually have 2 elevators, they are just on opposite sides of the building, so that enables guests to take the elevator closest to their room so they don't have to walk to a central location and then back out to the wings of the hotel again. I am sorry to hear that our housekeeping staff neglected to leave you a bath mat, as they are typically draped over the tub for you when you arrive, I will address this with my staff.

Regarding the sofa-bed, I apologize that it was not made up for you, we do not make it up prior to arrival because we want the guest to be assured that their sheets for the bed are fresh and clean. If we were to make the bed then fold it back up the sheets would appear wrinkled, which could give the impression that they were previously used. We are always happy to accommodate a request to have it pre-made for you if you like, just tell our customer service agent or type it in the notes section of an online reservation and we will be happy to have it done for you when you arrive. Our duvet covers are a bit thinner, it allows us to wash them much more frequently than the typical hotel with the large fluffy covers can, we do include an extra sheet to compensate for that and are always happy to provide an additional blanket as well. I am sorry to hear that our bed arrangements did not meet your expectations and I will have our executive housekeeper inspect all of the duvet covers and replace any that may be exceptionally worn.

I am sorry to hear that our 32" LCD Televisions did not meet your expectations, as well as the WiFi. Regarding the pool towels, we are certainly short on those right now and are currently awaiting a large order of replacement towels, as these towels seem to come up missing quite often. We will be replenishing them very shortly, and I apologize they were not refilled more promptly during your stay.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

The room was perfect for travel as a family which included an elderly parent and a middle aged couple. We three were able to get accommodation in a 2 bedroom suite which suited our needs perfectly. The one bedroom was larger which accommodated my elderly father and his walker. The other bedroom was a bit smaller but was not really a problem for my husband and me. We have the reservation person to thank for making the recommendation of a suite. I regret that I'd taken her name because she was pleasant and most helpful. We otherwise would have booked two separate rooms at additional expense.The facility was modern and well appointed. My only criticism is that there was pink mold in the bathroom where the caulking meets the tub. I am very particular about bathroom cleanliness especially, and that is why I downgraded my cleanliness rating to 'average'. Overall, a very good experience with great location and easy access to major highways and many local attractions.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Hello and thank you for your review. I am happy to hear that our customer service agent was able to save your family some money by recommending one of our two-bedroom suites. I believe the "pink mold" you were referring to was left-over residue from our bathroom cleaner. The cleaner we use (from Ecolab) is a bright pink color while concentrated in the bottle, and also dries that color after it has been sprayed on, if not properly wiped away. I apologize that our housekeeping staff neglected to wipe it all away. Please come see us again in the future!
Pittsburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

My husband and I stayed the weekend of July 19 for the Roar on the Shore. Check in was fast and easy. Staff very nice and pleasant. This is one of the cleanest places we have ever stayed!! Room was very nice. Dishwasher, fridge, cooktop, full size coffee maker. Everything you could possibly need. The swimming pool and hot tub very nice. Bed was nice and comfy. Breakfast in morning was pretty good. They had hot/cold cereal, juices, apples, bananas, yogurt, milk, waffles, bagels, muffins, ect. The hotel was booked but could not hear anything from outside noise and our room was closet to I-79. Hotel was close to everything. Staff was very helpful whenever we had questions. Def planning on staying again next year!!! Don't forget to get your casino free slot plays!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Tim H, Director of Sales at TownePlace Suites by Marriott Erie, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Hello, we appreciate you staying with us and definitely love the review you gave us - thank you so much. I am happy to hear we were able to accomodate you during your trip to Roar on the Shore. We can't wait to see you next year, and remember, if you hit it big at the casino be sure to tip your friendly hotel staff :)
Central PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

My husband and I just spent 2 nights here--one day for business, and stayed an extra for his birthday and to check out Presque Isle. Definitely one of the nicest hotels we've stayed in! Jo Anna at the front desk was amazingly helpful, and went above and beyond for us a couple of times during our stay. She's awesome! After obsessing over all of the reviews beforehand, I had my heart set on a 4th floor room at the back of the hotel, but as it turned out they tend to fill up the 4th floor with extended stay guests. So we got a 3rd floor room facing the parking lot. But it was still very nice! We had a king bed suite. It was slighly smaller than I thought it would be, but it was perfect for just the two of us. I wouldn't want to put 3 or more people in it though. Also, this was one of the QUIETEST hotels I have ever stayed in--from within the room anway. From the hallway, you can hear noises and voices coming from the rooms a little too easily (there is quite a big gap under the bottom of the doors!). But when inside the room, we heard almost nothing. When returning back to the hotel one evening, we happened to notice that the window of the room right next to ours had the curtains fully opened with about 3 very young children literally crawling the walls and window. I absolutely dreaded going up to the room to put up with THAT, but to my surprise we only heard a few "thuds" but absolutely no voices or kids screaming! I was quite impressed. Also, almost NO road noise, even though the hotel sits right beside I79. The room had every amenity you can think of, and TONS of drawer storage. I also loved the closet that went the whole way from the entry to the bathroom. Just a very high-quality place--everything about it just pretty much felt brand new. We will definitely return. Also, it's not all that hard to find, really. Just make your way to the Millcreek Mall, and start driving through parking lots to the far left corner. It sits behind the Homewood Suites. I rather liked feeling "tucked away." I did want to use the pool/spa at some point during our stay, but never found it empty, despite it being open from 6 AM to midnight.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello and thank you for such a glowing review. Jo Anna definitely appreciates your comments about her, and asked me to say thank you from her as well! I am sorry to hear that you were not able to find our hot tub empty during your stay, I think you would have really enjoyed our state-of-the-art saline sanitation system - it is so much gentler on the skin and eyes than your traditional chlorine system. Please come see us next time you are in town, we can't wait to see you again!
indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

We user one of our free nights. Called and talked to an elite reservations person to book. We were promised a king bed, which by the way, is on our rewards member profile. When we checked in nothing was mentioned about not getting a king bed. We went to our room, which was the smallest marriot room we've ever seen!! A suite? I don't think so. We immediately called down to the desk because the room didnt have a king bed. We were told by the front desk lady that our reservation wasn't for a king and she couldn't do anything about it. She totally blamed reservations. Come on, is this how you treat your gold elite members? We never would have stayed here if we knew we would have this postage stamp room and bed! Look at the members preferences!! Of all our stays, at every level of marriott properties, this hotel has to be the worst for customer service. Passing the buck doesn't solve the problem. The room was clean, the hotel was clean. We just were very unhappy with our room. Room 421 avoid it, window looks out to a wall.

• Stayed July 2013
Tim H, Director of Sales at TownePlace Suites by Marriott Erie, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Thank you for your review, I apologize for the confusion with your reservation. Somehow there was a mix-up with the room type that was booked and our hotel was all sold out. Typically we upgrade as many people as possible, but during this particular weekend every room in our hotel was already spoken for, so in order to give the upgrade you deserved we would have had to of downgraded an individual with a confirmed King room. This is by no means your fault and I will be contacting you personally to resolve this matter to your satisfaction. Thank you again for choosing to stay with us.

Been to TownePlace Suites by Marriott Erie? Share your experiences!