“Only in Desperation” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #35 of 35 Hotels in Erie
Mount Lebanon, Pennsylvania
“Only in Desperation”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I booked this motel for one night online because it was much cheaper than the rest and one of the only ones with a room available (I didn't know there was an event that week). I'm used to staying in motels, so I didn't think it could be that bad, but it was.

I stayed by myself with my two young daughters. When I pulled up, I was already slightly nervous because the surrounding area didn't look all that welcoming. Perhaps if my husband had been with us, I would have been slightly more optimistic. The girl who checked me in to the hotel was VERY friendly and accommodating, however the small lobby was very shabby and dirty looking.

We stayed on the ground floor with a parking spot right outside of the door which was nice. However, the room was disgusting. Mold, dirt, broken fixtures, the only thing I didn't see were bugs (doesn't mean they weren't there). The bathtub was so covered in mold it was unusable.

The room had a fridge (the freezer portion was totally covered in ice), microwave and two teaspoon sized packets of shampoo. The AC seemed about normal motel quality. The TV had cable, but it was so fuzzy it was hard to watch. The alarm clock was missing the face plate over the LED, several outlet covers were broken, two of the towel racks were broken and hanging off the wall and the coax cable for the TV was hanging from the ceiling.

I had hoped to use the pool, but I didn't even look at it. I was very glad to be leaving first thing the next morning.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Hamilton, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

This hotel is run down, lights don't work, the rooms smell, it's horrible. I asked for may money back and left. We have stayed at Knights Inns before this scared us. I was afraid to let may kids even sleep here the room were disgusting not clean and smelled really bad . The room they gave us the lights didn't work. The place needs to be comdemned.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I looked at the hotel on line and booked for a night on the way to a site. When pulled in it was dark and I was very tired. I got out of my truck and was immediately accosted by a panhandler. I turned him down and went to the office. The Manager on duty was courteous and told me to make sure to lock my truck and take anything of value in the room. Pretty standard security for a road warrior like myself. I went to the room and was very surprised the AC was wither off or way down. I went to turn it up and was really surprised to see it was on high Max already... I pulled the bed from in front of the intake on the unit and found that they must have just screwed the headboards to the wall and failed to clean up the construction debris after.

I took one look at the condition of the room and decided to sleep in my clothes on top of the bedding.

no outlets to plug anything in near the bed or the table that was the desk
if you wanted to use the micro you had to unplug the fridge

After waking and walking outside I decided the building had gone through a very superficial attempt at a self performed cosmetic remodel and it was a complete failure.

Room Tip: Within 10 miles there are 25 (literally) other hotel choices
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Arthurdale
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Stayed here after a fishing trip and on our way to Niagara Falls. Price seems good but it's not worth the lack of sleep. There was a lot of local traffic and several loud arguments as it got later in the evening. Lots of shady activity going on and we were worried about our car. Thought at first the bed was clean but pulled back the bedspread and was greeted by a centipede that was at least 1 inch long. We were pretty positive that there was blood on the lampshade. Bottom line, next time, we'll keep driving.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Hazleton, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Stayed here while in town on a fishing trip. It was a place to lay but I couldn't lay easily. Seems like a lot is going on at this hotel. Shady activities seem to pick up as the night goes on. If you have kids with you I would steer clear no matter how good the deal seems.

• Stayed June 2013
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

We went about 1 year ago and I would never go back again. Our room smelled musty. The continental breakfast was non-existant. I'm pretty sure there was some sort of blood stain on our pillow case. We were brought another one when we requested, though. It's not even good for the price.

Room Tip: You'd be better off with a tent.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

So I booked through Orbitz for a long weekend. The pictures looked ok, and I blew off most reviews because I have stated in a lot of "cheap" hotels, and while many are not the best, they'll do, since we're just sleeping there anyway. Well, upon arrival, I could not even believe this place was open. The pictures have got to be fake, photoshopped, or SEVERAL years old! It seriously looks condemned. Looking at the windows, you can tell the rooms are filthy. The TINY pool didn't even have water in it, and a pool is on my must have list. We were going to stick it out, since it was just two nights, and after all we'd only be sleeping there. We also didn't want to have to pay the $78 fee for canceling. We pulled in the parking lot, and I couldn't make myself get out of the car. It sort of felt like a scary movie. I called orbitz, we sucked up the $78 charge, and went on our way in search of a better hotel. We found a small motel, with a pool, that was cleaner and more acceptable, much closer to Presque Isle for cheaper. To anyone even considering this place, don't even. You can find better, I promise. Just remember that not all motels/hotels are listed online! Do your research! :)

• Stayed June 2013

Been to Knights Inn Erie Downtown? Share your experiences!