“"Off" Weekend For This Hampton Inn” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$25 Gas Card!
Ranked #2 of 35 hotels in Erie
Yukon, PA
“"Off" Weekend For This Hampton Inn”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

I have been staying at The Hampton Inn in Erie off and on for many years. My job used to take me to Erie monthly and I usually stayed at this location. I do not travel for my job as often currently but still choose to stay at this Hampton Inn due to the friendly staff, nice accommodations, decent breakfast, etc. However this seemed to be an "off" weekend there. Upon arriving there was some slowness at the front desk due to a group of bowling participants starting to check in and an unexperienced events manager who did not know much about the actual rooms. We were then checked in and proceeded to our room, which was directly off the elevator. I have in my Hilton Honors profile that I prefer a room on an upper floor, away from the elevator and ice machines and at this location, I request a room facing the parking lot, not the noisy highway. The room did not meet any of my requests except for being on the top floor. We immediately returned to the front desk to request a different room and after some haggling, which I found to be irritating and unnecessary, we were assigned to a different room on the 3rd floor meeting my criteria. Upon waking up on Saturday morning I went to take a shower and we had no hot water in our room, so I took what started out as a lukewarm shower and ended up as a cold shower. My husband also got a cold shower. When going downstairs for breakfast I notified the front desk manager of the issue and he assured me that the problem would be taken care of. While eating breakfast, we overheard other customers complaining of not having hot water either. My husband and I were away from the hotel all day and upon returning, there was some warm water coming out of the faucets in our room but not hot. Upon awaking on Sunday the same scenario happened, no hot water and my husband called the front desk. He was told simply they would have to check into it. As a result, we both took cold showers again. After packing up and going down to breakfast, I again addressed the issues with the front desk manager and he did not have much to say. However, an older gentleman standing behind the desk stated that they have had a boiler down and it was supposed to be fixed by the prior day! At the point the front desk manager said he would comp one night under the Hampton 100% satisfaction guarantee. Needless to say, my husband and I were not satisfied with our experience at this Hampton Inn location during this stay. We are used to a quick, accurate check in by friendly staff and clean and comfortable accommodations complete with hot water, something which we did not receive this past weekend.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the interstate to avoid having to try and sleep through the truck noise on...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
JennSirak, Sales Coordinator at Hampton Inn Erie-South, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review the Hampton Inn Erie. I apologize that you didn't experience a pleasant stay, as you have in the past. The weekend that you were staying with us was extremely busy and our staff was doing the best they could to keep up with our guests needs. Yes, we did have a boiler down, and unfortunately, with all the groups we had, people were all taking showers at the same time, which would deplete the hot water. The boiler as since been replaced. I looked at your reservation and saw that you reserved a king bed with jacuzzi bath tub. All of our rooms of that type, are located directly outside the elevator. I am pleased to see that we were able to find a room to meet your criteria, but please understand that we were sold out that weekend and had to do a lot of switching around, which caused the "slowness". We hope that you will give our hotel another try to exceed your expectations, as we have in the past.

274 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Pittsburgh, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

I have stayed in here two times. The staff is always very friendly and welcoming. They usually offer water bottles and etc when you check in which is nice after a long drive! The rooms are very clean and quiet and I have never had a problem! The location of the hotel is very convenient but it can get a little confusing to find if from the highway if you are not familiar although I didn't have any trouble I am sure others might!

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

JennSirak, Sales Coordinator at Hampton Inn Erie-South, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review of the Hampton Inn Erie. We are very, very fortunate to have an amazing staff and it is always so nice to hear praise from our valued guests. Please come back and visit us again soon.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

One of my favorite hotel chains! This location had friendly staff, clean rooms, and great complimentary breakfast. We were only in town one night for a lacrosse tournament, but the hotel was located near rt 19 that had tons of restaurants and stores. Our room was on the back side of the hotel. If you are a light-sleeper, you may want to request a front facing room. We could hear traffic noise from the highway, but there were earplugs on the nightstand. I sleep like a log, so it didn't bother me

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to write a nice review of the Hampton Inn Erie. I'm glad you enjoyed your time here, even though it was only 1 night. We hope to see you again soon.
solihull
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

Stayed for one night on the way to Buffalo. Have stayed on these before, the rooms are comfortable, they have a guest laundry (sad I know but really useful) which was used to great effect. Ideally situated right off the 90, breakfast included and nice pool.

Room Tip: none have a great view so don't worry
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
JennSirak, Sales Coordinator at Hampton Inn Erie-South, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review the Hampton Inn Erie. I am pleased to read that you had a comfortable stay. That is one thing that we strive for. I hope to see you again soon.
Warren, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

We were in Erie for Wine on the Lake. Wine on the Lake had a promotion with certain hotels to provide trolley service, but all those hotels were sold out by the time I made my plans, so we booked at the Hampton Inn.

This was a typical Hampton Inn stay. The staff was courteous and professional. When we checked in, the gentleman behind the counter asked if we would like a list of restaurants in the area. A nice touch. While the hallways and the rooms are a bit dated, everything was clean and our room was comfortable. It even included a small refrigerator and microwave. Breakfast in the morning was what we've come to expect from Hampton Inn -- scrambled eggs, sausage, french toast, etc.

Unfortunately, the Hampton Inn doesn't have a courtesy shuttle. We didn't want to drive back from Wine on the Lake, so we asked the front desk to call us a cab. There is only one cab service in Erie and they are woefully understaffed, so we were told the cab would pick us up within the hour. There are several other hotels in the area, so while we sat in the lobby waiting, we were able to watch a good number of shuttles from other hotels zip back and forth. Our cab arrived about 80 minutes later.

Our cab drivers both to and from Wine on the Lake were both friendly and professional and did their best to get us where we needed to be in terrible weather. I know this isn't really a problem with the hotel, but it is tucked back away from Peach St. along I-90, and besides other hotels and a Subway, there isn't much around. If you're without a vehicle and/or don't want to drive, I would suggest staying at one of the nearby hotels that provides a courtesy shuttle. You'll save time and money in the end.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review the Hampton Inn. Unfortunately, we do not offer shuttle service. I will pass on your comments to the corporate office and see if there is a chance that we can look into a shuttle. I am please to see you did enjoy the rest of our trip. Please come visit us again soon!
Bernhards Bay, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

Our family loved the pool! It was spacious, the temperature was perfect, and the staff during breakfast and the front desk were outstanding. They were attentive to all of our needs. The location of this hotel was perfect as there are lots of family activities near by including restaurants etc. We look forward to coming again!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review of the hotel. I am very happy to hear that your family was able to take advantage of our indoor pool. Please come back again soon!
Barrie, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

This hotel was the usual high standard we have come to expect from Hampton Inn hotels. Great sleep and cheerful staff, what more can you ask for. We normally plan our trips using Hampton Inn as our destination for each day of travel, we know the quality of hotel is consistent.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Thank you for taking the time to review the Hampton Inn Erie. We pride ourselves to be apart of a company that has such high standards, high standards that are in place for you, our valued guest. Consistency is Hampton Inn's middle name. We hope to see you again soon.

Been to Hampton Inn Erie-South? Share your experiences!