“average Hampton - great breakfast !” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$25 Gas Card!
Ranked #1 of 35 Hotels in Erie
Guelph
“average Hampton - great breakfast !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

Just a quick stop off the interstate enroute to Florida from Toronto. Not the newest looking hotel, but the room was clean, had flat screen tv, nicely appointed bathroom, carpets not the newest. Bed was very comfortable which we have come to expect and appreciate from Hampton. The breakfast was great. Hot eggs, sausages (turkey!), yogurt, oatmeal, hardboiled eggs, waffles, and much more. Breakfast attendant was very helpful and courteous. Would stay there again, but the asking price is a tiny bit optimistic in my opinion.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
JennSirak, Group Sales Coordinator at Hampton Inn Erie-South, responded to this review, November 30, 2011
Thank you for you comments. We are glad you enjoyed your stay. Due to the location of the hotel, and being a tourist destination, our rates are comparable to the other hotels in the area. We do understand the need to keep our pricing low, as much as we can, to help you stay within your travel budget. I will forward your concern to management.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2011

Stopped for 1 night en route to south bend indiana. Hampton Inn was a nice room with comfortable beds. Refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker were included. Nothing fancy but very quiet and comfortable. Would stay again if in that area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing parking lot to avoid the highway noise
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for the kind review. Can't wait until you stay with us again!
Hebron, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

Overnight Stay was fine the pool was clean and comfortable as was the bed and bath. Front desk persons were very helpfull & kitchen /Breakfast bar was used a lot but still well stocked.

Nothing dramatic - except someone lit a cig in the hall and you could smell it

Room Tip: If you want a drink that isn't cola buy it before you stop for the night - Penn requires drink...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
JennSirak, Group Sales Coordinator at Hampton Inn Erie-South, responded to this review, October 19, 2011
Thank you for the good review of the Hampton Inn Erie South. We hope to see you again soon!
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2011

Arrived at this Hampton Inn and entered the building. I was greeted by a very friendly desk clerk and check in was quick and efficient.

The breakfast area is adorned with a fireplace and is very tastefully decorated but of small size. The color combinations are very soothing, the accompanying textures complimenting and the materials of high grade.

I arrived at my room and began my inspection; the room was of average size, was clean and neat but unremarkable in its colors and textures. The television was 32” flat screen LCD with very good channel selection. The room also included a microwave and refrigerator both clean and in perfect working condition. The bed duvet was freshly laundered and the bed sheets were white, clean and crisp. Inspection of the bathroom revealed clean, neat and organized with plenty of clean white towels and an average selection of amenities, shampoo, conditioner and hand cream only. Being a Diamond Club Member my room was upgraded to a whirlpool suite. The whirlpool is located in the bathroom, was clean and in proper working order.

The bed was comfortable and I had no issues with sleep. The hotel itself was sold out and I heard no noise from the exterior or the corridors. The HVAC quickly and consistently cooled the room; it was quiet and unobtrusive, and controlled by a wall thermostat. The desk/work area was of average size and the desk chair was comfortable. The wireless internet was acceptable, my top test showed a speed of 1.97 mbs.

There is 1 issue at this hotel:

If you are a light sleeper be certain you select a room that faces the parking lot of the building. My room was interstate side and I respectfully requested a change and it was granted. If you are roadway side you will hear constant noise from cars and trucks. This hotel sits less than 70 yards away from I-90. A room that faces the highway has an issue with noise, so much of an issue that the hotel provides ear plugs. I have never seen ear plugs in a hotel before this one. This is a very nice hotel with a wonderful staff and nice amenities it’s too bad they architect of the building decided to face it directly against the roadway. If you stay parking lot side you will have no issue with noise. I am not trying to dissuade anyone from staying because this is a nice, clean hotel with a very friendly staff, just be aware if you reserve a room request parking lot side.

The pool is interior and large, was clean and neat with plenty of towels. The exercise room was average size but had very high quality equipment.

This hotel sits among many chain restaurant and sole-proprietorship locations. None are within walking distance but a vast array of restaurants are within a 3 minute drive. The mall is also within a short drive as well as Splash Lagoon.

The breakfast is what you would expect from this chain, adequate but nothing great.

Would I return, Yes, but only if I can secure a parking lot side room. Would I recommend, Yes. This hotel met all of my expectations for a Hampton Inn property, clean, quiet and comfortable. $107.10 room + $11.79 room taxes, totaled $118.89 for a Tuesday night in September, 2011, a very competitive rate for this area.

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper secure a room that faces the parking lot!!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
JennSirak, Group Sales Coordinator at Hampton Inn Erie-South, responded to this review, October 5, 2011
I would like to thank you for your very detailed comment. We were glad to see that you were able to experience and enjoy all that this Hampton Inn has to offer. We hope to see you again soon!
Clemson, SC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2011

I normally stay in Hampton Inn's for business trips. However, this hotel did not meet my expectations, especially for the price paid. My bathroom smelled of urine, but appeared to be clean. The mattress was also worn. I'm a small person and there was a "rut" that I kept rolling into throughout the night. The walls were also very thin. I woke up at 5:00a.m. to people opening/closing doors.

The hotel also faces the interstate on one side. I would request a room away from the interstate.

The fitness center was OK. There are several pieces of cardio equipment, a workout bench and some weights. This hotel also had a small indoor pool which I did not use.

The continental breakfast was typical of what I find at other Hampton Inn hotels. Omelettes and bacon were also served. These were decent.

For an overnight business trip, the hotel was OK. However, I wouldn't want to stay here for more than one or two nights.

Room Tip: Request a room away from the interstate.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Let me start off by saying we are sorry your stay here didn't meet your expectations. We do pride ourselves on our rooms being clean and comfortable. We apologize for the condition of your guest room and recorded your comments for our management company. Please give us another try!
Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

We travel regularly in Canada and the States and Hampton is our "chain of choice". However this particular location did not meet the usual standards of cleanliness and earned only an average rating from us as a result. The bed was badly made - actually looked disheveled - there was a cheerio on the floor and some hair in the bathroom. This is not what we usually expect nor receive from the Hampton Inns and we were disappointed. This was on the pricey side as well given the location probably, but as a customer, you tend to expect better when you pay more.

On the plus side and this is a comment directed at the owners of the chain, Hampton has made a great move by switching its breakfast dishes to a recyclable product and as customers we want you to know that this change is very much appreciated.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Let me start off by saying we are sorry your stay here didn't meet your expectations. We pride ourselves on giving you the cleanliness and quality you deserve. We agree that a clean room is most important. I will forward your comments to the Executive Housekeeper. We hope you will give us a try again, since you are loyal to the Hampton brand.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2011

This was our first trip to Erie and wound up staying at the Hampton Inn due to availability. Overall it was a very nice place to stay. We were a bit concerned due to reviews stating that the highway noise being an issue, so we did request a room away from the highway side of the hotel. And honestly it was not an issue at all. It was pleasantly quiet throughout the night. Again we were on the side away from highway 90 so I cannot say if it is an issue on the other side of the hotel.

The staff was very friendly and helpful, very polite and professional. We were in need of a bottle opener and they offered to bring it up to the room. They also were very helpful with choosing a place to eat.

One note- the area around the hotel is VERY busy, so give yourself plenty of time to eat no matter where you decide.

We did make use of the indoor pool. Although a bit small it was very nice and clean and the kids had a great time in it.

And finally the whole family really enjoyed the complementary breakfast the next morning. The variety was excellent and was quite enjoyable.

We would be happy to stay in this hotel again. It was a very nice experience.

Room Tip: Without experience highway side, you may want to request a reservation away from the highway.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your kind comments. I'm glad your first trip to Erie was a good experience. Don't forget, we have many specials and packages throughout the year and hope to see you again soon!

Been to Hampton Inn Erie-South? Share your experiences!