“Always a pleasure to stay at the Smithon” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 9 Ephrata B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Always a pleasure to stay at the Smithon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

I've stayed at the Smithton several times in the past few years and it continues to be one of my best travel experiences. Rebecca and Dave are fantastic hosts, the beds, linens and towels are excellent, the snacks and breakfast are delicious. The Smithton Inn always has a cozy feel and a warm welcome... all the things you're looking at the end of a trip.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
HistoricSmithton, Owner at Historic Smithton Inn, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
If I could write a review about our guests and was writing one about YOU, the title would be "Always a pleasure to have her stay at the Smithton"!!!! When I see a reservation from you come into the system, it always makes me smile and look forward to that week, no matter what other craziness is going on! You light the place up when you're here... I'm just grateful that you found us, and enjoy staying here as much as we enjoy having you.....

Take care and look forward to seeing you again soon!
Rebecca

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Liverpool, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

My daughter surprised my husband and I with a get-away at the Historic Smithon Inn in Ephrata, PA. What a charming experience that was! We stayed in the Crimson Dove Suite which featured a fireplace, garden tub for two and antique furniture including a canopy post bed. The owner and staff were very helpful and no detail was left undone. They offer hundreds of videos if you want to relax and watch a movie as well as wine glasses and snacks if you want to unwind with a glass of wine or beverage as well. We needed to have dinner in the area and they suggested going to The Lincoln House Restaurant. The meal was excellent as well as the atmosphere. The breakfast was amazing… with hot and cold items to choose from. This was our first experience with a B&B and we both agreed we will be back at the Smithton Inn as well as other B&B's in the future!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Hi Kimberly! I'm so glad that we were able to make your first B&B experience a positive one. Trip Advisor is definitely a good resource for finding unique and charming places in whatever town your visiting. Thanks for taking the time to post a review about your experience at our property... if it helps people find us who are as nice & fun to be around as you guys, it's a WIN for us!!

thanks again and hope you find an excuse to come visit again soon!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

We have stayed at the Smithton twice, both time in the room on the end that is two stories tall. Such a great room because you get a little kitchenette which makes it a great base for visiting locations all around Amish country and gives you the flexibility to keep your own food handy.

Our son loved the little built in bed in the bedroom and the whole place is super comfortable including the beds.

The breakfast is always amazing and Rebecca is a gracious hostess. She also makes this granola that will leave you thinking about it forever and wishing you had the recipe.

We easily got to all the Amish areas and antiquing from this location and even took in a local baseball game in the summer the first time we stayed.

Great place!

Stayed April 2013
I'm so glad you liked the Tailor's Cottage, I agree, it's a wonderful space for a family to stay in while you're exploring the area. And the good news is that there are LOTS of great activities all around us for families to enjoy, so I hope you manage to find some time to come back & visit us again soon!!

Thanks for taking the time to write a review!!

Take care,
new york, ny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

This inn is a delight: Well preserved on the edge of PA Dutch country and a few blocks from the Ephrata Cloister, one of the more interesting historic sites to visit in Lancaster County (if you're in to that kind of stuff, and I am). The inn was built in 1763, before the American Revolution, and replaced an even earlier wooden structure. Although it's a little hard to envision it now, since the area has developed around the inn, I love looking at the outside and imagine what it must have been like 200+ years ago to ride up Main Street and see this wonderful inn sitting at the top of the hill.

As for the accommodations, plain, simple, clean and relaxing. Our room had a fireplace with a fire log in it, which we lit on a damp and chilly night, bathing the room in flickering light and warmth. Best of all for me, early Sunday morning I woke up to the clip-clop of trotting horses as the Amish went to morning services. And for the price, a great deal -- it was anywhere from 2/3 to 1/2 the rates I saw at some other area B&Bs.

The breakfast was decent - a fritattta made with turkey (a quiche by another name, but OK for guys to eat). It was passable, but not super, which is the only reason I gave a 4, not 5 stars.

But more important, the overall experience of being in a beautiful, peaceful place made up for what might have been a so-so day for the cook.

The make-or-break question at the end of the day is: Would we go back. The answer is clear -- of course, gladly.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us but I SO hope you come back again so I can give you the "proper" breakfast experience!! I happened to be out of town when you stayed (no excuse, that shouldn't matter...)... but for me, cooking a wonderful breakfast is my favorite thing about owning a B&B, so it's important to me that guests particularly enjoy that aspect of staying with us.

There's lots more history to see and experience here in Lancaster County... so I hope to see you back again, when I plan to WOW you with a delicious breakfast to help you start off the day :o).

All the best,
Swarthmore, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

On Veteran's Day, Rebecca and Dave were kind enough to offer rooms to veterans as a way of "thanking" them for their service! We were lucky enough to be able to enjoy their beautiful
B & B and fine hospitality. The Inn has such historic character but also modern amenities like a whirlpool tub!! And then a nice relaxing evening in front of the fireplace...Imagine that! Breakfast by Rebecca was fabulous and directions and tourist attraction info by Dave made for a wonderful experience! And tricks performed by their dog, Lucky, were fun to watch. The Historic Smithton Inn is a MUST to visit and enjoy!!

Room Tip: The cottage is unique, as long as you can use the stairs because it has 2 floors.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
HistoricSmithton, Owner at Historic Smithton Inn, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
We feel so lucky and blessed to actually be in a position to thank our Vets on Veterans day... I'm so glad you were able to take advantage of a free "B&Bs for Vets" night with us!! This was the fourth year we participated in the program, and I look forward to it each year, because I get to meet (and thank) great folks like YOU!! Thank you again for your service!!

And speaking of lucky.... Lucky says "hello" and she hopes to perform for you again sometime soon! Never was there a more appropriately named dog... you guys gave her so much attention, she was in heaven!

Take care & thanks for taking the time to share your experience at our B&B!!!
~Rebecca
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

I've stayed a few times at this B&B and it's really just about as good as it gets....prices are fair, the rooms are AUTHENTICALLY furnished with antiques etc BUT are COMFORTABLE and have all modern amenities, the owners are friendly but not intrusive and the breakfast is really delicious. Those factors add up to a perfect B&B in my book.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
HistoricSmithton, Owner at Historic Smithton Inn, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
William - thanks for taking the time to share your experience at the Historic Smithton Inn. It means so much to us that you like staying here enough to come BACK again and again... especially since we love catching up with you and hearing about your latest travels... you and Fernando DO manage to go to some really great places! I love your attitude toward travel and really SEEING/experiencing the places you visit... I'm always impressed with the cool "off the beaten path" shops that you manage to find on your own here... like that local cheese shop on this last visit. I look forward to seeing you guys again soon, there's plenty more here to 'discover'... or you can always just relax in front of the fireplace and catch up on movie-watching... or BOTH!!
Fairfax, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

As this was our second trip to the Inn and will not be our last might I add, Rebecca and Dave made us feel like we were just part of their family.
With her fantastic culinary skills, I have since asked if she and Dave would adopt a 59 year old man! You truely will never get a better breafeast even if you stayed at some high end place spending way more than you need to.
The owners never hesitated when being asked aything about Ephrata and the surrounding areas and their recomendations were always spot on.
My wife and I have stayed at a lot of Cottages and Inns and I can say without a doubt that staying at the Smithton Inn and being pampered by its owners is second to none.
Should one be planning a trip and looking for a place to stay...stop your search right now as you have just found the perfect place ...bar none!
Exceptionally clean rooms, great food, and a newly found friendship with the owners. You won't get that in some fancy Hotel!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
John, thank you so much for the fantastic review! And we would "adopt" you and Lee-Ann in a heart-beat, you guys kept us laughing the whole three days you were here... plus, it's wonderful to cook for folks who enjoy a delicious breakfast... which I LOVE cooking! I'm so glad you liked our recommendations for drives/tours/shops/restaurants... we'll have more for you when you come back on your next trip! Hope to see you again soon! ~ Rebecca

Been to Historic Smithton Inn? Share your experiences!