“Fantastic food and atmosphere.” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Fantastic food and atmosphere.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

We visited The Carts Bog Inn for Sunday Lunch, it's around a 30 mile drive from home but well worth it.
Surrounded by beautiful countryside the Pub is a welcome sight with its beautiful stone built walls. I'd describe the inside as traditional with a lovely open fire and classic style.
Service was very good and te food was fantastic, we both had beef which was well cooked and a good cut of meat, just what we needed.
Add goose fat roast potatos and a homemade Yorkshire Pudding and your laughing all the way to the bank. Overall we found the Carts bog Inn a excellent place and we will be back without doubt.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Dublin, Ireland
“Good start”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

We were driving and as I found the review of Carts Bog Inn it loomed into view. And what a view, remote and desolate looking but lovely.
Got a great welcome and an immediate apology that the ham wasn't ready, good start, they cook their own ham and don't buy pre packaged!
Menu is quite small but good, as I had late breakfast I opted for the omelette (no ham sadly!) which came with a nice small salad and home cut chips. Perfect small lunch, omelettes are easy to make but most places can't seem to get them right. The Bog Inn is an exception, perfectly cooked eggs!
My travelling friends had the Bog Pie, huge with lovely filling, he wasn't so keen on the suet (seemed to be wholegrain?) and the other had steak sandwich, again very good.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Newcastle upon Tyne
“Massive portions”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

I really should have followed other's advice. My starter of a prawn cocktail was delicious, but 1/4 of the amount of prawns would have been enough. And then the main course was massive too. I know there are some hungry manual workers eating here, but really it took the pleasure away having to leave so much behind. please make the portions smaller or 2 different sizes.
MY dog was delighted with the doggy bag I brought back.....good tasty food, perhaps a little pricey for a pub meal but then portions were all enough for 2. The pub itself is lovely, and unspoilt near some lovely countryside. I will go back but will order much less unless they change the menu.

Birtley, United Kingdom
“Sunday lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Went and had a Sunday lunch with family and had the roast beef with a very large homemade Yorkshire pudding, could not fault the food, the beef was really tender and very lean. Very cosy pub with real ale as an added bonus this is our 3rd visit and we will be back again .

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Amazing as always”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

We went for Sunday lunch yesterday and the food was top notch as always! Never thought to write a review on here as its one of our local restaurants but it really shouldn't be kept a secret! Best Sunday lunch I've eaten in Northumberland. I had beef and my partner had pork. The beef was so tender and the gravy was divine. Vegetables cooked to perfection and Yorkshire pudd amazing. Sticky toffee pudding with ice cream to finish, yum yum yum! Yes portion sizes are large but that's just the way we like it!! Front of house service excellent too. Hearty home cooked food!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere