“Anniversary Break with friends” 5 of 5 stars

Langley Castle Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Hexham, Langley-on-Tyne NE47 5LU, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Langley-on-Tyne
Bawtry Yorkshire
“Anniversary Break with friends”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

Thank you to Anton and his team for a lovely few days Stayed this time in a Castle View room (17) comfortable accommodation and little personal touches Lovely breakfast options Enjoyed traditional afternoon tea Had two lovely meals in the Restaurant and second evening in the Grill Great food great service and good choices from the wine list
Love this place it's just fab !!

• Stayed July 2013
Anton_Phillips, General Manager at Langley Castle Hotel, responded to this review, July 6, 2013
Dear Dunstergirl - I am so pleased that you enjoyed your recent visit to Langley - I would also thank you for your kind comments regarding the food for the afternoon teas, the restaurant and the Pavilion Grill - I will pass your comments on to the crew and look forward, hopefully, to seeing you again before to long.

584 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
Sheffield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Having spent the last year planning our Langley Wedding to the letter we wanted it to be absolutely perfect and Anton assured us that the Langley team would do their best to deliver our dream wedding, and they did. Even after the registrar made the whole proceedings 30 mins late, Anton’s team did an excellent job of getting us back onto our wedding plan.
The delay left us anxious, but this was overcome by us turning round after the ceremony in the Josephine room to see both arched doors open to the main fountain with a red carpet, it looked just like a magically tunnel. At the end of the room we were greeted by the staff to be asked if Mr and Mrs would like a glass of champagne…absolutely… the weather was kind to us and the sun appeared for photos outside. The wedding breakfast was delightful and the portions where maybe a little too large, but great value and well cooked. Not the same fine dining experience you get when eating dinner in the main restaurant; which is excellent by the way as I discovered the night before. However, you would not expect the same food type when served banqueting style to over 40 guests.
The evening continued with an amazing local band ‘Jen Stevens and the Hiccups’. Bacon stotties at midnight in the lounge what more could anyone ask….An amazing day in the most amazing venue. ‘A wedding to remember’ as many of our guest kept saying it was the best wedding they had ever attended!!!
Thank you Anton and all the Langley staff for making our day so special and also thank you to Dr. Madnick the owner for turning this special building which was derelict for 500 years into a beautiful hotel that we can all enjoy in its splendour.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Anton_Phillips, General Manager at Langley Castle Hotel, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
Dear Fran and David - I am truly delighted that you and all your guests enjoyed your wedding and reception - every occasion is so important to us personally and professionally - you go with our every wish for your future happiness - just don’t forget where we are - we would love to be able to look after you for your anniversary - Best wishes and regards - Anton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights celebrating the wedding of two of my best friends. We had a meal the night before in a private dining room and food was excellent, especially the dessert. Basil pannacotta with strawberry salsa was superb, with incredibly punchy flavours and a basil taste that lasted for hours. Accommodation was clean, well kept and stylish. The surroundings were beautiful and the castle itself was amazing. The wedding day was a dream, the staff were faultless and Anton was curtious and professional throughout. The bride and grooms expectations were exceeded for the wedding, this meant we recived an excellent service throughout, as a couple getting married, what more could you ask for. From the best man, all the staff at Langley (especially Aiden) were incredible, you helped two of my best friends experience the greatest day of their lives, and for that, I will be eternally grateful.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Chefington - Every wedding is always a special occasion for all concerned - Your kind comments regarding the food and service are much appreciated - Our best wishes go out to the Bride and Groom and we hope that you will be able to come back to Langley on another occasion
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

The hotel was first class with an extra class.the castle eas fantastic.the room was delightfull.we up graded to a castle view room £25 extra but very very nice room 21 .the staff and the service was 10 out of 10 and the manager was great with us .it was our 25 wed anv.im sure i will be booking for our 26

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Gary - I am so pleased you enjoyed your silver wedding with us - a special time - we look forward to seeing you again next year.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

I was looking for somewhere special but diffrent to stay and celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary, somewhere not to close but not to far from where we live. Oooo I thought lets stay in a castle!

From the moment we arrived we were greeted and made very welcome by the friendly staff. We were shown to the Cadwallader room (which I had booked) it was up the stairs, through the drawing room then up a spiral staircase. The room was as described on their website, I loved the window seat it was nice to sit and admire the well kept grounds and watch the rabbits & peacocks. There was a good selection of Ringtons tea, coffee, hot chocolate & biscuits and Langley Castle still bottled water in the room. The bathroom was modern with a really deep bath & lovely luxury complimentary bath products.

Before dinner we had drinks and appetizers in the drawing room and ordered from the menu.
We chose to have dinner in the Pavilion grill as the five course Table d’Hôte Menu in the Josephine Restaurant whould have been to much for us as we had had a picnic next to the river at Haydon Bridge before we arrived at the hotel.
The Pavilion Grill was contemporary and modern with floor to ceiling windows which made the most of the natural light and it was lovely to look out to the gardens see the peacocks walking past.
We didn't have a starter but we were served warm breads, balsamic and dipping oil. We both opted for the 8oz rib eye steak served with grilled tomato, mushrooms, watercress, skinny chips and béarnaise sauce which was cooked to perfection and we thoroughly enjoyed it. My husband had no room for pudding but we were then given a complimentary taster dessert which was sticky toffee pudding (yum) he made room for it. I ordered the ice cream which was a selection of ice cream, seasonal berries, biscuit tuille. All this was washed down with a lovely bottle of red wine. We were very immpressed and looked after well by a restaurant staff member. We then enjoyed an evening stroll around the grounds after dinner.

Next morning breakfast was served in the Josephine restaurant, we had fresh coffee, orange juice, fresh fruit and yoghurt follwed by a full Northumbrian breakfast to much to mention!!!

I had noted that other trip advisors had tours of the castle and I was hoping for a tour but I just thought that there were none on that day. It wasn't untill I read the welcome letter when I was at home. I know I should of read it properly when I opened it in the hotel room but I just skimmed over it and didn't read it properly so it's my own fault :( I would have loved a tour of the castle! never mind I know for the next time and its an excuse to book up again in the future :)

Also lots of my photos have those orbs on them like other trip advisors but no way did we feel uneasy, it was a calm and relaxing room and a privilege to stay in a place of history and beauty. Though we did sleep with the lights on!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
I am so pleased that you selected Langley to celebrate your Silver Wedding and even more delighted to read such positive comments - thank you - I will put your review on the staff board - I hope that we will have the pleasure of your company on many more occasions
Newcastle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

For those people who have not had the opportunity to stay in this hotel try the afternoon tea in the castle drawing room to sample the atmosphere that this hotel has to offer. We first sampled it 29 years ago and after missing a few years through illness we were delighted to be back, even though it was just for afternoon tea, to find the staff still as friendly and helpful as ever the cleanliness excellent. It has naturally become a very successful wedding venue which restricts the availability on weekends

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Wilf - as a hotel manager, it doesnt get much better than this - i have had the pleasure of being able to welcome you back to the Castle again and again over the years is this very significant not only to me but the rest of the team aswell - I look forward to seeing you again soon.
Bradford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Booked a castle room through travelzoo which was wonderful. Think it would be a shame to stay here and not stay in the castle itself, although don't think I would pay full rate for room. We stayed in the Cadwallader Room quaint, decorated well, nice grounds to walk in and peacocks about! Really comfy bed and big bath to relax in. Especially loved the seating area in the window which was fab.

We had a cream tea included, have to agree with the other reviewer who said it was like the scone was microwaved, and the same in the morning as I had eggs benedict and it was that tough frozen to toasted muffin taste which was disappointing as half was still frozen too!

We didn't eat there as did not fancy the set 5 course meal. We went to the Carts Bog inn which was really nice and close enough!

Overall it was a really lovely birthday stay, and I love the room we stayed in and the history, just a shame about the food really.

Room Tip: I would recommend the Cadwallader!