“Problematic stay” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 7 hotels in Easton
Boston, Massachusetts
“Problematic stay”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

We had stayed here before and had a decent experience but not so this time. Starting with calling the Holiday Inn Express toll free number to ask them for the direct dial for the Easton property and having the reservationist tell me to look it up on line. I told her I didn't have access to the web and asked if she could assist. She actually replied, "that's not my job" and hung up on me. I asked to use a smart phone of a stranger at the Newark airport and got the direct dial number. I called the hotel to say we would be arriving late due to a delayed flight but to please hold the particular room we had reserved which had a pullout sofa. I was told I had guaranteed my room and it would be all set. We arrived at the hotel at the time I estimated with the person I had contacted and we were issued a room for 3 with a king bed and no pullout sofa. I went back to the front desk and asked about the room I had reserved and inquired where my son was supposed to sleep in this room reserved for 3. The woman started saying I probably talked to the other person who was there earlier who she inferred is incompetent. She sent us to another room which had an odor like onion pizza. I went back and said it was not acceptable. She sent us to another room which had cobwebs, dust and grunge (by the way, none of these rooms had the pullout sofa we had reserved). We finally settled on a room with two double beds which didn't have an odor or cobwebs,. Through all the back and forth, the person at the front desk who was trying to be helpful was also frustrated because the relief person was late in arriving. I left explicit feedback regarding this visit at the survey request sent to me via email as a follow up to our stay. I left my contact information on the feedback and to date (5 months following our stay) I have heard nothing from the site management nor the corporate offices. Makes you wonder if they care. Based on this visit, the number one rating on Trip Advisor is not deserved.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Easton, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear retucket,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve and continually provide the best guest experience possible. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience the the room condition issues might have caused you. I will make sure that your comments will be forwarded to the appropriate departments and be reviewed. Your comments are truly valuable, as this will give us an opportunity to look for areas to improve. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to host you again on your next visit to the area.

Irish V.
Case Manager
IHGCare

118 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Willimantic, CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for two nights (Columbus Day weekend) while visiting family in the area. We picked the HIE based on the reviews on this site, and the fact that it was #1. I admit we don't get to stay in hotels very often, so we're probably a little starry-eyed, but we had a great time. The room was super clean, nice and big (had a little sofa and kitchenette space). My husband is diabetic, so we really appreciated the little in-room fridge for his insulin and juice. Beds were very comfortable (although the pillows marked "firm" really aren't!). I was a little leery because a noisy teenager's birthday party was parading through the hallways when we arrived, but the soundproofing in the room was very good and we didn't hear a peep after we got there. A brief guide to working the entertainment system might have been appreciated--3 separate remotes got me good and confused, although my husband worked it out eventually. Breakfast was very good; the biscuits and gravy were a nice surprise for me and there were still plenty of choices for my vegetarian husband. (I think the fluffy scrambled eggs on the first day were superior to the flabby cheese omelet on the second, though.) Any staff we encountered were very pleasant. We didn't end up going swimming--the pool is on the small side and my husband was leery about how many kids were in it (you know what kids do in a pool). He said that the exercise facility was adequate but ended up being too tired to exercise. All told, we were very happy with the experience and we'll definitely come back here when we come to Easton again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

The hotel is easily accessed but a bit off the main drive, so noise was not an issue. The staff are warm and professional, eager to please. The lobby area was stocked with fresh fruit and granola bars at all hours, and the self-service area for coffee, tea, etc. was likewise available round the clock. The rooms were clean and comfortable, though not luxurious enough for a really special occasion. Perfect for families or vacation travel. I felt welcomed and very comfortable there.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Vero Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

We stayed at the Easton property for 3 nights while attending a wedding in New Jersey. I would say the property was OK major complaint was that they ran out of towels. When we called front desk for bath towels we were given pool towels. This was also a complaint from others at the hotel. Check in staff were very helpful and pleasant.

Cambridge, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

We booked at this hotel based on Tripadivisor and other reviews. What a disappointment. The staff was pleasant enough, but the property was somewhat worn and tired. The wallpaper in our bathroom was attached, in places, with push pins. The room did not seem all that clean. There's only one elevator which runs like molasses in January and the "free" breakfast buffet was really sort of disgusting -- eggs that seemed powdered, gray sausage patties, and sugary cereal. I guess if you're just interested in a free meal, maybe it'll work for you. But if you have any desire for a decent meal, you'll avoid this and get the hell-outta-Dodge. It would not take a lot to get this hotel up to speed, but it was far less than expected.

Room Tip: Make sure you select a room that is not fronting the highway.
Plymouth, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

The staff was less than excited to check us in. We did help ourselves to fresh fruit. The room was clean, and quiet and Large! The pool was a nice size too. There were plenty of places to eat around the hotel but Jimmy Johns delivers! The price was a great value as well.

Lancaster, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

The Holiday Inn Express in Easton is a very nice hotel. The lobby area is beautiful and the entire hotel is very clean. The breakfast was what you'd expect for a free continental breakfast, but the food was hot and good. The pool was clean and they kept the towel rack filled. We had no trouble getting extra towels in our room as soon as we asked for them. All the staff we encountered were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Easton? Share your experiences!