“Website is deceiving-Don't stay unless desperate” 2 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Fernwood Hotel and Convention Center to your Saves list
Fernwood Hotel and Convention Center
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   1 Fernwood Lane, East Stroudsburg, PA   |
“Website is deceiving-Don't stay unless desperate”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

My family arrived early where we were rudely told can't check in till 4 (which we understood but the morning front desk guys could have been more friendly and welcoming). We grabbed some apps at Bleachers the nachos we disgusting they are made with watery liquid cheese our server Bruno was very nice and helpful though. When it was time to check in after we explored the local attractions Jamal was nice and answered some questions my family had about the area. We booked 2 rooms the one room we couldn't unlock and was told we would need to come back over to the lobby to get a new key ( not an easy walking distance) the rooms are very outdated one of our rooms had a microwave while the other didn't ( they should both have the same ammentities) the toilet shook and made a loud noise. The water pressure was about the only good thing in the room. We went to take a dip in the indoor jacuzzi which was yellow and the out side of it had wet tissues and garbage surrounding it. I would have liked to known where all the maintenece staff was. My family and I left the "resort" for dinner and when we came back we decided to have a drink at bleachers before calling it a night. The bartenders were very unattentive we had to get up twice from our seats to ask someone for service. After falling asleep for 2 hours my family and the whole hotel get woken up to the fire alarm. It went off for awhile I'd say about 15 minutes and not once did any employee come to advise us to stay or leave ( everyone was standing in the hallway unsure of wht to do) after the alarm went off me and a family member went outside to get some fresh air when an employee walked out of our building and nastily said "everyone can go back to their rooms." We should have been made aware of the problem so we felt safe and secure. Needless to say I'm still awake and very disappointed that my one night away from home all summer was extremely disappointing. I don't know how this place can be called a "resort" I understand it is going thru revocations and updating but the website was very misleading. It made it seem like it was a 5 star hotel when it's merely and 2 1/2 star. I am not one to complain because I am in the customer service/restaurant business but this was by far one of the worst experiences I've ever encountered. I know nothing will be done more then an "I apologize your experience wasn't satisfactory" letter but I thought it should be known before another family is deceived the same way mine was.

• Stayed August 2013
Jill S, Manager at Fernwood Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Thank you very much for writing a review of our property. I assure you that our service standards are very high and I am extremely disappointed to read that we did not meet them. I have shared your review with our Food and Beverage Director, in regards to that service, and I also shared it with the Front Desk and reminded them of our fire drill procedures. We are currently under renovation to bring the hotel up to our standards and I hope that you reconsider us in the future. I sincerely apologize for your less than satisfactory stay.

33 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

I went to Bushkill with my boyfriend this past weekend. I had high hopes for this hotel, considering the pictures and reviews were good. As soon as we turned into the parking lot I knew it was not going to me my expectations.

The hotel is located next to a rundown complex and horse stables. The parking lot grounds were unkept. When we checked in, the two gentlemen at the front desk were friendly, which was a plus. We were told our room was across the way and in the next building. We walked over and walked in seeing a big stain on the carpet as soon as we entered the building. Our room was on the second floor, so we took the staircase up- which wreaked of cigarette smoke. The lights in the hallway were dim, the doors were beaten up, and the ceiling was very low.

We entered the room, which had a musky odor. There were dirty towels in our bathroom so we had to call for more. Which took a while for them to bring up. The bed was old and not comfortable at all. You could feel every spring on your back. The sheets looked dingy and we slept on top of them covered from head to toe in our clothing as not to touch the sheets. There was a heart shaped tub in the room which did not appear to have been cleaned. There was dirty water stains in it and on the mirrors surrounding it. At night the ceiling began to leak around the tub. There was no microwave in the room, although it was advertised as having one.

We did not eat at the hotel so I can't vouch for that. I can assure you we will NOT be staying there again. I have never been to such a hotel that was so dirty.

• Stayed August 2013
I would like to sincerely apologize for any inconveniences that you encountered during your stay. We are under fairly new ownership and we are renovating the property to meet our standards. I was happy to see that our Front Desk was friendly and helpful. I have shared your review with the Director of Housekeeping and reminded her of our high standards and importance to detail. Thank you very much for the review and we do apologize again.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I were planning a honeymoon to go to Bushkill Falls. I had read some sketchy reviews but I figured to save some $$ we would give it a shot. We arrived around noon and our room wasnt ready so we used the bathrooms before we set off to explore some. I stepped into the women's bathroom and could barely breath because of the smell of urine. There was blood on the bathroom floor. My Husband said the men's bathrooms condition was bad too. We returned around 3 and proceeded to check in. I stated I had my AAA card because the woman that made our reservations said we would receive a 10% discount. The man at the desk told us that they didn't take AAA on the weekend...I questioned him why the woman would say that if it was not true. My husband spoke up at that time and stated he would like to cancel our reservation. He wasnt too impressed by the outside of the hotel either (they are undergoing renovations apparently and the place looked like a dump from outside). They manager was right there and came off with an attitude but neither questioned why we would not stay. They quickly refunded the $ and the man even suggested other hotels under his breath. So much for saving $$ I'll never do that again! We are now enjoying a beautiful honeymoon at Pocono Palace (and were even given and upgrade for free because its our honeymoon)!

• Stayed September 2013
I am deeply sorry for your unsatisfactory experience at our property. We are under fairly new ownership and we are renovating the property to be up to our standards. I was glad that we were able to refund your money promptly and that overall you ended up enjoying your honeymoon.
Mitchellville, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

I made the mistake of ignoring the previews reviews. The stories of dirty carpets, towels are light brown, stained ceilings, stained bedspread, out dated is all true. I was given a key to a room and someone was sleeping in the room when we opened the door. I would not recommend you stay at this hotel. The front desk has the worst customer service I've experienced. When I called to complain and I asked for their name I was hung up on. This hotel needs renovation from the front entrance to the rooms.

Room Tip: Book the Villas not the Hotel rooms
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
I would like to sincerely apologize for any inconveniences that you encountered during your stay. We are under fairly new ownership and we are renovating the property to be up to our standards. I have shared your review with our front desk staff and with our Housekeeping Director. I thoroughly reminded them of our high standards and importance to detail. Thank you very much for your review.
Brighton, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

We chose this hotel because it was the closest to Bushkill Falls. I had read the bad reviews but decided to take a chance. Due to the old exterior and hallways the first impression was poor.
Our room with the heart shaped whirlpool was old and outdated, but it was clean and everything worked fine! I was especially pleased with the outdoor pool and indoor pool and whirlpool, they were great! Once the hotel is modernized and repaired it of course will be more attractive. It was adequate for our purposes for the one night.

Room Tip: The heart shaped whirlpool is nice. It has glass all around and even on the ceiling!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your anniversary getaway with us! It is always a pleasure to read that we have met our standards and provided you with an eventful and relaxing getaway. Our Dreamsuits are popular because they provide the guest with the true image of a romantic Pocono vacation. I am glad that you enjoyed the amenities! Thank you so much for writing a review of your stay with us and we hope to see you again!
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

I read the previous reviews prior to visiting, So I was somewhat prepared for the fact that hotel was run down and old. However the fact that most of the other family members from our group was staying there, we decided to do it as well. We checked in Saturday night and while the room was old (wallpaper peeling, stained/dirty carpets, old furniture, and a missing remote control), the bed was fine and clean. So we figured it was sufficient enough for one night. The next morning when we tried to take our showers, we noticed mold in the shower area and dirt on the bottom of the tub. That's when we realized that we wouldn't be taking showers, so we turned on the faucet from the sink. We were horrified to find black stuff come out and decided to try the sink outside of the bathroom. That was better , but the water only trickled out of the faucet making it impossible to do much of anything. We quickly washed our teeth and left. Thank goodness it was only for one night. I strongly encourage you not to stay here. It is a health hazard and should be closed down. Take heed to the previous reviews and stay away.

• Stayed August 2013
Jill S, Manager at Fernwood Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Thank you very much for the review of our hotel. Since your previous stay we have changed management. We are continuously upgrading our property and strive for excellent guest service. It is disappointing that your previous experience was subpar but we hope that you consider us again in the future.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We had to travel to the Fernwood due to a Dance Competition! We have stayed at this property almost 6 years ago with the same dance competition! When we were there over 6 years ago we were told there was a new owner and they were making huge changes! Well 6 years later the property has changed! FOR THE WORST!!!! It is even more run down and dilapidated! We had the pleasure of staying in the hotel this time! WOW! Almost no words but I'll try! Oh can't wait to see how management comments back! Love the excuses they have used to others! I think the Health inspector needs to pay a visit! The hotel halls are dark and dingy! The smell in the hall on the 2nd and 3rd floor is unbearable! Smells like animal urine! Can you say unhealthy. Now lets add in the moldy smell! If you didn't have a breathing problem before after leaving that place you sure did! My daughter has seasonal asthma and lets say this caused her season to visit a bit early! Inhaler was needed more than a few times! Our hotel room wasn't actually as bad as my friends had to endure. Well that was until we got flooded from the bathroom above us! We were at the dance competition and my husband went back to the room to find 5 people standing in there looking up at the ceiling! Well needless to say it was the toilet that was plugged up and backed up into our room! NOW we can add something else to the smell I'll let you all figure that one out! This happened at 2 pm and it took them until 8:30pm to move us to a different room! As for the Convention Center! Freezing in the am then by 2:00 beyond HOT! Felt like I was in an Easy Bake Oven!!! There was lovely mold all over, holes in the walls. You could see directly outside! Surprise the bathroom overflowed there too! I have to say the staff there was less than friendly and they for sure didn't like working there! I was told by one employee I don't work here because I want to but I have too! However, there was one employee named James who was running around trying to help everyone with all their issue's. He remained calm and tried to reassure people things will be fixed. I can only hope the owner and the General manager are good with this guy! He had their back for sure! My advise to James is to run and find another property to support. Someplace you can be proud of working at! Some place that appreciates you! As far a recommending this place NO WAY!!!! Stay at another place if you ever have to go to the Poconos!!!!! Also the price they had the never to charge us for the hotel was insulting! I pay less at a Marriott!

Room Tip: Do not stay there! NO good rooms!!!!!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
I would like to sincerely apologize for any inconveniences that you experienced on your stay with us. Since your last visit, we have made numerous improvements and continue to do so each day. We are currently under new management and strive for excellent guest service. The staff and management has been thoroughly reminded them of our high standards and importance to detail. Thank you for your review and we hope that you reconsider us in the future.

Been to Fernwood Hotel and Convention Center? Share your experiences!