“Anniversary trip” 3 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   1 Fernwood Lane, East Stroudsburg, PA   |
Brighton, Michigan
“Anniversary trip”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

We chose this hotel because it was the closest to Bushkill Falls. I had read the bad reviews but decided to take a chance. Due to the old exterior and hallways the first impression was poor.
Our room with the heart shaped whirlpool was old and outdated, but it was clean and everything worked fine! I was especially pleased with the outdoor pool and indoor pool and whirlpool, they were great! Once the hotel is modernized and repaired it of course will be more attractive. It was adequate for our purposes for the one night.

Room Tip: The heart shaped whirlpool is nice. It has glass all around and even on the ceiling!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Jill S, Manager at Fernwood Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your anniversary getaway with us! It is always a pleasure to read that we have met our standards and provided you with an eventful and relaxing getaway. Our Dreamsuits are popular because they provide the guest with the true image of a romantic Pocono vacation. I am glad that you enjoyed the amenities! Thank you so much for writing a review of your stay with us and we hope to see you again!

33 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

I read the previous reviews prior to visiting, So I was somewhat prepared for the fact that hotel was run down and old. However the fact that most of the other family members from our group was staying there, we decided to do it as well. We checked in Saturday night and while the room was old (wallpaper peeling, stained/dirty carpets, old furniture, and a missing remote control), the bed was fine and clean. So we figured it was sufficient enough for one night. The next morning when we tried to take our showers, we noticed mold in the shower area and dirt on the bottom of the tub. That's when we realized that we wouldn't be taking showers, so we turned on the faucet from the sink. We were horrified to find black stuff come out and decided to try the sink outside of the bathroom. That was better , but the water only trickled out of the faucet making it impossible to do much of anything. We quickly washed our teeth and left. Thank goodness it was only for one night. I strongly encourage you not to stay here. It is a health hazard and should be closed down. Take heed to the previous reviews and stay away.

• Stayed August 2013
Jill S, Manager at Fernwood Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Thank you very much for the review of our hotel. Since your previous stay we have changed management. We are continuously upgrading our property and strive for excellent guest service. It is disappointing that your previous experience was subpar but we hope that you consider us again in the future.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We had to travel to the Fernwood due to a Dance Competition! We have stayed at this property almost 6 years ago with the same dance competition! When we were there over 6 years ago we were told there was a new owner and they were making huge changes! Well 6 years later the property has changed! FOR THE WORST!!!! It is even more run down and dilapidated! We had the pleasure of staying in the hotel this time! WOW! Almost no words but I'll try! Oh can't wait to see how management comments back! Love the excuses they have used to others! I think the Health inspector needs to pay a visit! The hotel halls are dark and dingy! The smell in the hall on the 2nd and 3rd floor is unbearable! Smells like animal urine! Can you say unhealthy. Now lets add in the moldy smell! If you didn't have a breathing problem before after leaving that place you sure did! My daughter has seasonal asthma and lets say this caused her season to visit a bit early! Inhaler was needed more than a few times! Our hotel room wasn't actually as bad as my friends had to endure. Well that was until we got flooded from the bathroom above us! We were at the dance competition and my husband went back to the room to find 5 people standing in there looking up at the ceiling! Well needless to say it was the toilet that was plugged up and backed up into our room! NOW we can add something else to the smell I'll let you all figure that one out! This happened at 2 pm and it took them until 8:30pm to move us to a different room! As for the Convention Center! Freezing in the am then by 2:00 beyond HOT! Felt like I was in an Easy Bake Oven!!! There was lovely mold all over, holes in the walls. You could see directly outside! Surprise the bathroom overflowed there too! I have to say the staff there was less than friendly and they for sure didn't like working there! I was told by one employee I don't work here because I want to but I have too! However, there was one employee named James who was running around trying to help everyone with all their issue's. He remained calm and tried to reassure people things will be fixed. I can only hope the owner and the General manager are good with this guy! He had their back for sure! My advise to James is to run and find another property to support. Someplace you can be proud of working at! Some place that appreciates you! As far a recommending this place NO WAY!!!! Stay at another place if you ever have to go to the Poconos!!!!! Also the price they had the never to charge us for the hotel was insulting! I pay less at a Marriott!

Room Tip: Do not stay there! NO good rooms!!!!!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
I would like to sincerely apologize for any inconveniences that you experienced on your stay with us. Since your last visit, we have made numerous improvements and continue to do so each day. We are currently under new management and strive for excellent guest service. The staff and management has been thoroughly reminded them of our high standards and importance to detail. Thank you for your review and we hope that you reconsider us in the future.
Toms River, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Fernwood Resort (hotel room) for two nights and we would never consider staying there again. Like many others have stated, the property is in shambles—the furniture is worn, carpets are dirty, the hallways possess a musty stench, water stains on the ceilings, wallpaper is falling down all over the place, and the siding of buildings are in need of serious repair. When we arrived on Saturday, there was garbage in the stairwells and when we left on Monday morning, the same garbage was still there. This property was so grungy that we couldn't stomach the thought of eating there—we left the property for all of our meals.
I'll echo what others have said about the bathrooms. The shower heads are so low, you need to be under 5-feet tall for it to be comfortable. They leave you one itty bitty bar of face soap (we walked across the street to Turkey Hill for soap for the shower). The toilet was constantly malfunctioning as well.
While the staff was friendly, there were some serious security issues. Our room key cards failed to work twice in two days, and when we took them to the front desk, staff apologized and asked what room we were in so they could fix the cards. I had to make it a point to tell the staff member to check my driver's license ID (staff should ask for ID, I could've requested any room number and I would have gotten access to the room). Also, the rear entrance by the rooms in the 250s had a missing handle. So instead of the door being locked permanently, the lock was enacted and the door was kept open. What's the point of having key cards if doors are being permanently left open?
Charging $260 for two nights to stay in these conditions is a crime. After a day at Bushkill Falls, we took a ride over to the Bushkill Inn and Conference Center. After talking to staff, we found that the price was more expensive than Fernwood but at least the property was kept nice. Fernwood is a resort in name only. Stay away...unless your idea of a getaway is slumming it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
I would like to sincerely apologize for any inconveniences that you experienced on your stay with us. Since your last visit, we have made numerous improvements and continue to do so each day. Our new management has very high standards and the staff strives each day to meet them. I apologize that your stay was less than satisfactory but we hope that you reconsider us again in the future. Thank you for your review.
Long Island
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

I recently went to this hotel with my family for a dance competition and if not for my daughter I would have NEVER stayed at this place. I was expecting the place to bit a bit outdated but it was beyond that. When I checked in I was told that I was upgraded to a Seville Suite. Well, you could have fooled me. The mattress to the pull out sofa couch was crinckled and crunchy, Im guessing its been folded in there for 25 years. i wouldn't let me dog sleep on it. I had my daughter sleep with my husband and I and my son slept with my parents in their room. My parents room had no water, they couldnt shower or anything. They checked out the following morning and went to Bushkill Resort up the road for the remainder of the dance competition. The pool area wasnt nice, hardly enough chairs for the people and a bees nest up in the awning where we sat, ugh. They did play music which was nice, but that was it, nobody working the bar area to buy drinks or anything. The hallways were painted dark and they were touched up with different colored paint, making it look worse. The carpets were stained and wrinkled. So many people I talked to were grossed out and demanding refunds and swearing they will NEVER come to this place again. The only good this about our visit was the young man, James, they left him in charge that Friday night and my heart went out to him, as he was dealing with everyones complaints. He was well mannered and very professional and he should be promoted as he is an asset to the hotel!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
I would like to apologize for any inconveniences that your family and you experienced on your stay with us last summer. We are currently under new management and we have set very high standards. We strive for excellence and we hope that you may reconsider us in the future.
DuBois, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

I have never been moved to write a review before today. My child had a dance competition that was held at this "Resort". We have been to a few of these National competitions and have never been disappointed in the venue or accommodations. This time was a nightmare.
First of all I always try to find something positive in everything. The positive things I can list for the Fernwoods were; first, the pool area was very nice and they played music which made it fun to hang out with the kids. If it weren't for the "pool Nazi" that came in to shut the pool down who couldn't even muster a grin the pool would have been a saving grace. Second, the front desk staff were very nice. Third, the shower had excellent water pressure. That is all I could come up with in our 3 day stay. If I could have found another near by hotel to stay at I would have left on the first night.
When we arrived and checked in everything went fine. We got our room key and were directed to park our cars, cross the parking lot and go to the second floor. We found parking and gathered our belongings. The building looked very run down but we were still hoping to find a nice, clean hotel once we opened the doors. As we swiped our key and entered the building any delusions of a nice, clean hotel were killed. The odor that emanated from that building took your breath away. I am not sure if it was the smell of smoke, or death or what it was but it was not at all appealing.
The hallways were dark and dirty. We felt safer taking the stairs than the elevator. The more we all discussed our stay we found ourselves comparing it to things like, "the Bates Motel" or a horror movie. That was just from walking in the hallways.
Our room; while I can't say it was "dirty". It was very dated. The shower head could be pulled back and forth through the wall. I am 5'2 but my husband is 6'2. The shower head was just above my head and fine for me, my husband would have been better off showering on his knees. Our friends stayed in the room next to us and their spigot on their tub was falling off of the wall and so was handle to the water. They also had a wet tile in their bathroom that was leaking from the room above. I guess that was a way to get 2 showers at once, one with your own water and the second with the upstairs neighbors run off? Another friend of ours had a room that somehow ran out of hot water in the middle of their child taking a shower.
There is also a tunnel which runs from the hotel part of the "Resort" to the lobby, restaurant and indoor pool area. Great idea to get from one building to the other during a rainy day. However the smell there was unbelievable. The kids started treating this as a game of see who can go through it without freaking out from either fear or the smell.
We ran into other people who said they would feel better sleeping in their cars. Honestly if you haven't booked a room yet, don't do it. We paid a reduced amount due to the group rate, I still felt I paid too much. Actually they would have to pay me to stay there again.
I read that they were under construction and were making upgrades. I didn't see anything being done during our stay. We did run into a gentleman who said he had stayed her 7 years ago and that it was better now than then. I can't imagine what it was like then and why he would have returned unless it was on a dare !!
I did not take pictures, even if I did they would not tell you the whole story unless they were scratch and sniff pictures.
RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN !!

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel !!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
I would like to thank you very much for writing a review of our hotel. Since your previous stay we have changed management. I would like to sincerely apologize for the inconveniences that you encountered on your trip. I did pass on to the front desk that you enjoyed their services and it was greatly appreciated. We apologize again and thank you for sharing your review.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

I've never felt so compelled to write a review of an establishment before. I feel strongly about warning potental guests that this "resort" makes their hotel look beautiful on their website when in real life it is ANYTHING but. They claim that the building is under construction that is why everything is in such disrepair, however this is not the case. We booked a room in the hotel, not the villas. When we pulled into the driveway of the hotel we thought our GPS took us to the wrong address. The building was literally falling apart. Upon checking in we entered the southwood building and were immediately hit with a rancid odor in the hallway. At this point we were already ready to run away, we continued to our room, a "couples suite" and what we found was unthinkable. The place was disgusting. The pictures on the Internet of our room and the hotel itself are incredibly misleading. The bathroom was moldy and disgusting, the hot tub was filthy and the tile around the top was cracked, the walls were rotting in the corner by where the hot tub was, the carpet was wet all around the hot tub and we didn't even use it, there was a blood stain on the carpet in the entry to the room, the carpet in the rest of the room was stained as well, the beds were uncomfortable. I could literally go on for days about this room, it was disgusting in every way. The resort "grounds" were another story entirely. The retaining walls at the entrance were crumbling, there were old abandoned buildings, nothing about this place was resort caliber. This company markets a dive hotel as a resort, it is dishonest and unethical. When these issues were brought the the managments attention, he did not have one word to say about it. This is a terrible hotel, I have no idea how they are still in business, they do not deserve to be. I would sleep in my car before I would ever even consider staying at this hotel again. You have been warned. Do not let the extremely falsified website fool you and book elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you very much for writing a review of our property. In your review you have mentioned that we are not a resort and you are correct. The Resort is located across the street at The Villas at Tree Tops and Fairway. Fernwood Hotel and Convention Center is where you stayed and we are currently under new management. We are continuously upgrading and striving for excellent guest service. I sincerely apologize for any inconveniences that you experienced on your previous stay and I hope that you may reconsider us again in the future.

Been to Fernwood Hotel and Convention Center? Share your experiences!