“Last Minute Getaway” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Fernwood Resort

You added Fernwood Resort to your Saves list
Fernwood Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2157 River Road, 5785 Milford Rd., East Stroudsburg, PA 18302   |
Brooklyn, New York, United States
“Last Minute Getaway”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My family and I decided to go away for the night to enjoy each other and share a little quality time. We picked Fernwood for its spacious and quiet villas. We checked on line first to check availability and price happy with both, we headed out to PA. When we got there they said no walk ins available with no explanation, I think the manager on duty could of had a little more courtesy. We explained to front desk check in that we will book on line. It is a two night minimum stay, with the space and price, it was worth it. We paid for two nights but we only needed one. The rental was a two bedroom, two bathroom with a loft area Villa. We loved the out door scenery and quietness. The Villa although dated, was comfortable and pleasing. We will stay there again, for its space, but definitely not for the decor. In need of a major make over.

Room Tip: Get new phase villas if available.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Lherman2012, Customer Service at Fernwood Resort, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you for sharing your comments. We are glad that you chose Fernwood Resort and The Villas at Tree Tops and Fairway for your getaway.

I can reassure you that the current direction of the property is a positive one. Wes have made significant improvements property wide. This plan of action will continue as we determine what areas of the resort impact our guests most.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Frankfort, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We went here through a time share point exchange. To my disappointment it was the worst . The units( we had 2) were run down, tear in carpet, dirty toilet, no blankets in bed, broken blinds, dirty shower heads rusty appliances. Although the resort did fix the blinds, and shower heads it took a whole day of calling the office and wasted time from our vacation.

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Fernwood is a quiet property- maintenance needed to be called, but they came right away and fixed our problem immediately. convenient to wineries and restaurants in the area, but limited activities on the property for young adults.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay.

As you mentioned, Fernwood Resort is conveniently located to many different attractions and restaurants. We also have a wide range of activities for all different ages such as TreeVentures and Pocono Zip Racer, Paintball, Horseback Riding, Blue Lighting tubing and Family Karaoke to name a few.

I would like to take this moment to reassure you that the current direction of The Villas at Tree Tops and Fairway is a positive one. The owners continue to make improvements property wide and this plan of action will continue as we determine what areas of the resort will benefit from upgrades and enhancements.
Brooklyn, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My family and I have been to Fernwoods on 3 other occasions but this was the worse. Not only is the new check in area much smaller, the check in process took almost 30 minutes. The worse part was the keycards that deactivates as soon as you leave the room. We had to drive down multiple hills everyday of our stay to have our card fixed. You would think that the people at the front desk would be apologetic about your inconvenience but you would be wrong. Very rude and and not very helpful. One of them had the nerve to get upset that I complained about my 2nd visit of the day. Another issue i have with a place that calls itself a family friendly place. They have a game room with 5 games that closes at 5pm along with the Pool. Really the pool closes at 5?

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
I would like to apologize for the level of customer care that you received. I can assure you that this is not our normal standard. I have shared your review with the Director of Guest Services so that he may discuss your concerns with all of the Front Desk staff.

Our Resort offers a wide variety of different activities and amenities for children of all ages as well as two indoor pools. Our Valley Station pool does close at 5:00pm Sunday thru Thursday, and 8:00pm on Friday and Saturday. Our Fairway pool is open daily from 10:00am to 9:00pm. I do apologize if you were not made aware of this.

I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and concerns.
fairfield, ct
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We stayed in mid-April. The weather was cold in the morning (35 -40 degrees) but to probably the high 60s or low 70s by afternoon. The kind of weather where you need heat in the morning and AC in the afternoon. We arrived around 5 at night and the unit was unbelievably hot. The heat was blasting. Actually the thermostate was set at 65 but because of the location of the thermostat, the unit gets very very hot before it shuts off. Well we immediately turned the heat off, and turned the AC on. We left to go get some dinner and by the time we returned the unit was tolerable. I think because the temperature dropped outside. The next morning I woke up and the unit was freezing. It did drop to about 35 degrees that night, but since we turned the heat off it didn't warm up. The master bedroom was in the basement so it was very cold. I went to the main level and it wasn't that much better there. I turned the heat on and the unit warmed up fine. We went out for the day (after turned the heat off) and came back and it was very hot. We turned the AC on again, and at this point we realized that the AC did not work, it just turned the fan on. We all went to bed in the master bedroom because that was the coolest but throughout the night we migrated upstairs. That morning we decided to cut our losses and leave a day early. I knew we would not get out by 10 a.m. so I didn't bother asking for a refund. Beside the complete lack of temperature control, the unit is completely dated. Yes, it has 3 tvs. 2 of the TV were probably bought 25 years ago, and since they were not connected HD compatible, the reception was horrible. The HD tv in the main area, was tucked in a corner so we could not all watch TV at the same time. Also, prior to posting this review I did call and ask to speak with a manager. I specifically said that I would prefer to explain the issues without posting a negative review. He never called me back.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Lherman2012, Customer Service at Fernwood Resort, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
I sincerely apologize that you were disappointed with your stay and for the concerns you reported in your comments, I only wish you had made your displeasure known to us so that we may have addressed or relocated you to another villa that would have been more to your liking. I have asked our Maintenance Department to try and determine the villa in which you stayed, so that they may inspect and repair the heating system if necessary.

We are continuously working to improve our resort and hope you will have an opportunity to visit again and see the changes.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.
Brooklyn, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

STAY AWAY!!!! I've stayed at many places, hotels, resorts in PA and honestly this was wretched. It was last week over Easter/Passover break.... nothing was open for the kids. We actually drove an hour to go to Split Rocks waterpark H2O for the day. The pool closes at 5, why I dont know, the bar is open till 8 (not that Im a booze hound) but it would have been nice to go have a drink after dinner. The condo we stayed in was filthy. The first thing I noticed when I walked in was the rug.... it was gross, old and really dirty. I vacuumed or attempted it but the vacuum barely worked. The dryer didnt work, one of our burners on the stove was broken. The sofa bed!!!! I've never been to prison but I dont think they'd make the inmates sleep on just a pole. The mattress by the head was fully collapsed. Dont get me wrong.... I know all about sofa sleepers in general, but really now!!!! replace the mattress for your guests who are spending they're hard earned money to take their children away. Im honestly not a complainer and for me to write a review and call and complain it takes a lot. I suggest going elsewhere. Splitrock was good for the money, theyre condos were nicer, cleaner and the waterpark is right there. Good luck all!!!!

Room Tip: The way to choose a good room is to not stay here.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Please accept my apologies for your dissatisfaction while visiting with us. I can understand your disappointment in not getting the vacation you had hoped for. We appreciate all of our guest’s input regarding the property whether positive or negative. I was truly sorry to read that we fell short of your exceptions.

I have asked our Maintenance Department to try and determine the villa in which you stayed so that a thorough inspection can be completed with regard to the problems you listed. These items should indeed have been noted and corrected prior to the unit being released for check-in.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.
Pasadena, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

There were several terrible things about this resort. The very worst thing was when all of the running water started coming out dark brown. We called the front desk and were told that they were flushing the pipes out. They did not call to tell us that they were doing this, instead we noticed on our own. When we called the front desk they told us that they would be doing it all day. We did not speak to a manager for several hours. When we went to the front desk in person, they were extremely rude. The lady told us that "they are allowed to flush out the pipes two times per year". And when I told them that drinking that water would be unhealthy, she had the nerve to say "actually it's not". I will be shocked if this place stays in business.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Lherman2012, Customer Service at Fernwood Resort, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
First and foremost, please allow me to apologize for the level of customer care that you received. I can assure you that this is not our normal standard, and I have already discussed your experience with our Guest Services Director to ensure your experience is not repeated.

I have also discussed your review with our General Manager, with whom you have already spoken to as well as our Assistant General Manager regarding your stay. They both send their apologies again for your experience.

I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and concerns.

Been to Fernwood Resort? Share your experiences!