“Very Unhappy with room!” 2 of 5 stars

You added Fernwood Resort to your Saves list
Fernwood Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5785 Milford Road, East Stroudsburg, PA 18302   |
Brooklyn, New York
“Very Unhappy with room!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

At first glance the room looked ok! After taking quilts off the bed i saw the blankets were all worn, only had real pillow cases on 2 of the four pillows. the other two were pillow covers with the zipper. Chairs had crumbs all over them, floor looked like it wasn't vacuumed. we went out and bought new pillows and pillow cases. and when i got up to go to bathroom during the night i had to kill a roach in bathroom.
staff was very nice and friendly!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Lherman2012, Customer Service at Fernwood Resort, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
First and Foremost I would like to apologize on behalf of Fernwood Hotel and Convention Center. We are saddened that your most recent stay with us was not everything you were looking for. We were recently purchased by new owners and since the purchase our maintenance staff as well as everyone else has been working none stop to upgrade the entire facility. A lot of improvements have been happening across the entire property of Fernwood Hotel and Convention Center. We ask guests to be patient with these improvements as our next projects are the hotel rooms themselves. Everyone here is excited about the upgrades and I urge you to come back and stay with us again in the near future to see more and more of the upgrades come to life.

214 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Westminster, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012 via mobile

This place is seriously a dump. Carpets in rooms are stained and dirty. Furniture is outdated and beat up. Bathroom is nasty. I will never stay here again. I can't believe they have the nerve to call it a resort!

• Stayed October 2012
Lherman2012, Customer Service at Fernwood Resort, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
On behalf of Fernwood I would like to thank you for your stay and your feedback. I would also like to share information with you that the hotel was recently purchased by new owners. We have been working nonstop to get upgrades and renovations done. We have recently completed renovating the lobby of the hotel, 3 new restaurants, upgraded the outdoor pool, fitness center and the entire façade of the entire building is currently receiving a great facelift. The next projects we have begun are the hotel rooms themselves. Many meetings and decisions have been made and the construction crew will be breaking ground shortly. We hope we will have the chance for you to come and stay with us again in the future. My hopes are that you would not be disappointed.
-Steve Bartlett Chief Operating Officer
Philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

We had a family reunion here and were concerned because we had read unfavourable reviews about the resort. We called ahead of time and were told that they were undergoing extensive renovations but all units were not completed. We requested accomodations in their renovated units and were pleasantly surprised that the staff(Justin) made the extra effort and ensured that all of us were accomodated in 4 renovated villas next to each other. The villas are definitely large enough to accomodate 6 people and had well equipped kitchens. The towels and beds could be upgraded but in general we feel we got what we paid for.

Room Tip: Ask for their renovated units and an address that your GPS can pick up. Rout e209 and River Road doe...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

Once again im back !!! Back in july i stayed in the studio villa and now im back to the 6 people villa wow!! It blew me away !! Amazing!!! 2 rooms 2 beds by the living room gorgeous kitchen sofa and chimeny in living room...it is comfortable for 6 people to sleep but 14 of us slept fantastic !! Rooms clean and well organized !!! Kitchen huge well decorated...living room amazing! This resort is amazing i love it !!! Next time going for the biggest one for about 30 people !!

• Stayed September 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

My wife and I spent a weekend in a Fernwood villa as it was the host hotel for a triathlon. The villa was dirty and smelled like stale cigarettes. The kitchen was not clean and the towels were all stained. The water pressure was lousy. Overall, just an awful accommodation. To top it off, they overcharged me and then, when I call to correct the issue, they were rude to me and claimed the charges I was upset about were not made. Avoid this place unless you are stuck staying there.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Middlebury, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I stayed here last weekend as it was the host hotel for a triathlon event. I had a room in the Villas. I travel a geat deal and I can honestly say that I have never ever stayed in a worse place.
When I initially checked in the door to my Villa wouldn't open so they switched me to another place ( after a half hour wait). When I finally got in a unit the fun began. The downstairs toliet was not flushed after having been used. A dirty knife was left in the sink. There were flies in the downstairs portion of the villa. There was not even one blanket in the unit ( there were no blankets on the bed - a first in my experience). Only one small bar of soap was in the unit but it was sort of academic because the shower wouldn't work. In short the place was a dirty wreck. I had paid for two nights ( they required a 2 night minimum) but left immediately after the race and only spent one long and sleepless night at the Fernwood Villas. STAY AWAY!!!!

Room Tip: there are none
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Watertown, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

We booked two nights at Fernwood because it was the host hotel for a race my boyfriend was doing (Poconos Half Iron Tri). If not for the convenience of the race events I would have done research to find nicer accommodations. What I’m saying is that unless you have a really good reason to stay at Fernwood, don’t.

The hotel was already full when I made the reservations so we ended up booking a Studio Villa for two nights. They were overbooked so they ended up giving us a one bedroom. We had somewhat of a tough time finding the villa since the area is very poorly marked and there are trees blocking the signs. That was really frustrating. There are feral cats running around the property and there was garbage all over the place.

The villa itself was pretty clean but a little bit smelly and everything looked really old. The bed was disgusting. It was more like a cot with a headboard and incredibly uncomfortable. Thank goodness we brought our own pillows. The shower head was weak and clogged so water sprayed everywhere. We decided the next morning that even though we were booked for two nights we would leave a day early. As long as we checked by 10am we would be refunded the 2nd night so that worked out well.

Coincidentally, I stayed at this exact same resort as a child when we went on a family vacation probably in 1987 or 88; nothing has been updated about the resort at all.

I don’t know how the price compares to other resorts in the area but I would do lots of research before considering this resort.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Fernwood Resort? Share your experiences!