“Gorgeous !!!” 5 of 5 stars

Fernwood Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5785 Milford Road, East Stroudsburg, PA 18302   |
“Gorgeous !!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

Once again im back !!! Back in july i stayed in the studio villa and now im back to the 6 people villa wow!! It blew me away !! Amazing!!! 2 rooms 2 beds by the living room gorgeous kitchen sofa and chimeny in living room...it is comfortable for 6 people to sleep but 14 of us slept fantastic !! Rooms clean and well organized !!! Kitchen huge well decorated...living room amazing! This resort is amazing i love it !!! Next time going for the biggest one for about 30 people !!

• Stayed September 2012

213 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

My wife and I spent a weekend in a Fernwood villa as it was the host hotel for a triathlon. The villa was dirty and smelled like stale cigarettes. The kitchen was not clean and the towels were all stained. The water pressure was lousy. Overall, just an awful accommodation. To top it off, they overcharged me and then, when I call to correct the issue, they were rude to me and claimed the charges I was upset about were not made. Avoid this place unless you are stuck staying there.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Middlebury, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I stayed here last weekend as it was the host hotel for a triathlon event. I had a room in the Villas. I travel a geat deal and I can honestly say that I have never ever stayed in a worse place.
When I initially checked in the door to my Villa wouldn't open so they switched me to another place ( after a half hour wait). When I finally got in a unit the fun began. The downstairs toliet was not flushed after having been used. A dirty knife was left in the sink. There were flies in the downstairs portion of the villa. There was not even one blanket in the unit ( there were no blankets on the bed - a first in my experience). Only one small bar of soap was in the unit but it was sort of academic because the shower wouldn't work. In short the place was a dirty wreck. I had paid for two nights ( they required a 2 night minimum) but left immediately after the race and only spent one long and sleepless night at the Fernwood Villas. STAY AWAY!!!!

Room Tip: there are none
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Watertown, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

We booked two nights at Fernwood because it was the host hotel for a race my boyfriend was doing (Poconos Half Iron Tri). If not for the convenience of the race events I would have done research to find nicer accommodations. What I’m saying is that unless you have a really good reason to stay at Fernwood, don’t.

The hotel was already full when I made the reservations so we ended up booking a Studio Villa for two nights. They were overbooked so they ended up giving us a one bedroom. We had somewhat of a tough time finding the villa since the area is very poorly marked and there are trees blocking the signs. That was really frustrating. There are feral cats running around the property and there was garbage all over the place.

The villa itself was pretty clean but a little bit smelly and everything looked really old. The bed was disgusting. It was more like a cot with a headboard and incredibly uncomfortable. Thank goodness we brought our own pillows. The shower head was weak and clogged so water sprayed everywhere. We decided the next morning that even though we were booked for two nights we would leave a day early. As long as we checked by 10am we would be refunded the 2nd night so that worked out well.

Coincidentally, I stayed at this exact same resort as a child when we went on a family vacation probably in 1987 or 88; nothing has been updated about the resort at all.

I don’t know how the price compares to other resorts in the area but I would do lots of research before considering this resort.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Lake Ronkonkoma, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

We arranged for a two night play & stay package in a Studio Villa. The unit - #6145B was clean and very comfortable. It was very quiet ... great if it's "just the two of you"! The bathroom was roomy and clean, but there was unsightly dark brown caulking around the toilet and there was not a single hook to hang anything on ... had to lay my articles on the tub sill - the only other choice was to lay them on the floor (disappointing). There wasn't much of a sight from our patio, but it was still pleasant. The little kitchenette was adequate for our purpose - great to have a few things in the fridge and a nice hot cup of coffee in the a.m., or a glass of wine at the end of the day. Aside from the inconvenience of bathroom hooks, this unit was fine. The sleeping area was fine separated from the kitchenette by the couch. I liked the feature of having a couch and table and chairs in the unit rather than just a bedroom. There were plenty of places to eat - but NOT on the premises ... what was available there was not appealing.
The BEST part of our two days was the golf course! The changing tree colors were beautiful, the course was great for novices and ardent golfers, the greens were meticulous, the fairways - well tended and the staff was friendly and accomodating. There were no waits on the course -- it felt like we had the place to ourselved!! We agreed we would consider returning ... but would be very choosey as to where we would want to be located. The hotel itself was in chaos ... construction all around and somewhat congested. The check-in staff were very friendly and kind.
I expected a "resort compound", but Fernwood has no formal "drive up the road" appeal -- it's on the main road (Rt 209) with the hotel (more like a motel) on one side of the main road and the villas across the street -- and there were hundreds of villas! I could not tell if people were renting and staying there permanently or were there for the weekend in some of the areas.
We both agreed this was a great get-a-way for the two of us. I don't think it would be a great place for a group.

Room Tip: Stay in the villas on the golf course
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

My wife wanted to go see bushkill falls. We saw the pictures on fernwoods website, And it looked nice. When we got there, the grounds were packed with cars. The place was overflowing with people, there must have been a conference. The main desk refered us to a building that was reminicent of a tenement on the other side of the property. When we got to our room it had not been cleaned. I was shocked at the room as it was completely different from the pictures. We went to go to the indoor pool but it was closed. That night we went to one of the restaurants and an overserved patron threw up all over. I had seen enough. The next morning we got a call from someone asking if we'd be interested in taking a tour of their timeshare villas. I thought this was a joke, because frim the price the villas is where I thought we had booked a room. I was so angry we decided to leave a day early. At checkout the man at the desk curtly informed me that their would be no refunds. I didn't care, I just wanted to get out. Trust me, I wouldn't waste time writing this unless I thought it would save someone making the same mistake I did.

• Stayed July 2012
Lherman2012, Customer Service at Fernwood Resort, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Firstly would like to thank you for your stay and feedback as we can only grow from hearing the guests’ responses. Secondly, I would like to apologize for your inadequate stay. As for your room not being clean that is unacceptable and I extend my deepest sympathy towards it, housekeeping and other necessary departments have been notified of this miscommunication. The Hotel was recently purchased by new owners and as you may have noticed we have been working very diligently on upgrading and renovating the entire facility. Since the purchase we have renovated and introduced three new restaurants, updated the fitness center, overhauled both the indoor and outdoor pools, and built a brand new pool side bar. Currently we are in the process of restoring the Crystal Ballroom, refurbishing the event center, as well as the entire façade of the hotel is in the midst of a much needed face lift. As for the hotel rooms they are next on the extensive “to do” list. We have had several meetings with the room designer, and the renovation is scheduled to begin this fall. We appreciate your stay with us and hope you will stay with us again in the future to see more upgrades completed.
-Steve Bartlett Chief Operating Officer
East Elmhurst, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

We (me and my wife) stayed at the Fernwood Hotel and Resort Villa and came back today. We had reservation for two nights and three days but we came back one day earlier so we left today Sep 27th instead of staying till 28th. The place is disgusting and smelly. The headboard of the bed was broken and the carpet is extremely dirty. The studio villa had a jacuzzi but once you use that you don't get hot water when taking a shower and the shower head is so clogged that it sprays water all over. You are also paying for the first day just to sleep because the check in time is at 4pm and by that time most of the places to visit are close to closing hours. On the second day morning I received a call from the corporate office asking us to attend a an hour and half of meeting at "vacation preview center" and told us that for attending the meeting we will be receiving a certificate for free two nights and three days at a two bedroom villa with fire place, jacuzzi, and a kitchen. When we went to the vacation preview center a sales woman greeted us and tried to sell vacation packages to us and told us that if we don't purchase a vacation package we don't get the certificate for two days and three nights at the two bedroom villa. What a scam! Even the corporate people lie to you to sell the vacation packages. I was mad and asked for the manager and the sales woman came back telling us that the manager is busy and we can leave. When checking out of the villa their system had some error and showed that we had a balance of about $113 to pay, of course we didn't pay since all was paid correctly when we made the reservation but it is a dirty feeling treated like this. Never ever going back to this disgusting place ever again even if they really offer free stays.

Room Tip: The rooms are too old and dirty. They don't seem to change the carpet for god knows how long.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Fernwood Resort? Share your experiences!