“Golf Play & Stay - 9/29/12” 3 of 5 stars

You added Fernwood Resort to your Saves list
Fernwood Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5785 Milford Road, East Stroudsburg, PA 18302   |
Lake Ronkonkoma, New York
“Golf Play & Stay - 9/29/12”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

We arranged for a two night play & stay package in a Studio Villa. The unit - #6145B was clean and very comfortable. It was very quiet ... great if it's "just the two of you"! The bathroom was roomy and clean, but there was unsightly dark brown caulking around the toilet and there was not a single hook to hang anything on ... had to lay my articles on the tub sill - the only other choice was to lay them on the floor (disappointing). There wasn't much of a sight from our patio, but it was still pleasant. The little kitchenette was adequate for our purpose - great to have a few things in the fridge and a nice hot cup of coffee in the a.m., or a glass of wine at the end of the day. Aside from the inconvenience of bathroom hooks, this unit was fine. The sleeping area was fine separated from the kitchenette by the couch. I liked the feature of having a couch and table and chairs in the unit rather than just a bedroom. There were plenty of places to eat - but NOT on the premises ... what was available there was not appealing.
The BEST part of our two days was the golf course! The changing tree colors were beautiful, the course was great for novices and ardent golfers, the greens were meticulous, the fairways - well tended and the staff was friendly and accomodating. There were no waits on the course -- it felt like we had the place to ourselved!! We agreed we would consider returning ... but would be very choosey as to where we would want to be located. The hotel itself was in chaos ... construction all around and somewhat congested. The check-in staff were very friendly and kind.
I expected a "resort compound", but Fernwood has no formal "drive up the road" appeal -- it's on the main road (Rt 209) with the hotel (more like a motel) on one side of the main road and the villas across the street -- and there were hundreds of villas! I could not tell if people were renting and staying there permanently or were there for the weekend in some of the areas.
We both agreed this was a great get-a-way for the two of us. I don't think it would be a great place for a group.

Room Tip: Stay in the villas on the golf course

226 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

My wife wanted to go see bushkill falls. We saw the pictures on fernwoods website, And it looked nice. When we got there, the grounds were packed with cars. The place was overflowing with people, there must have been a conference. The main desk refered us to a building that was reminicent of a tenement on the other side of the property. When we got to our room it had not been cleaned. I was shocked at the room as it was completely different from the pictures. We went to go to the indoor pool but it was closed. That night we went to one of the restaurants and an overserved patron threw up all over. I had seen enough. The next morning we got a call from someone asking if we'd be interested in taking a tour of their timeshare villas. I thought this was a joke, because frim the price the villas is where I thought we had booked a room. I was so angry we decided to leave a day early. At checkout the man at the desk curtly informed me that their would be no refunds. I didn't care, I just wanted to get out. Trust me, I wouldn't waste time writing this unless I thought it would save someone making the same mistake I did.

• Stayed July 2012
Lherman2012, Customer Service at Fernwood Resort, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Firstly would like to thank you for your stay and feedback as we can only grow from hearing the guests’ responses. Secondly, I would like to apologize for your inadequate stay. As for your room not being clean that is unacceptable and I extend my deepest sympathy towards it, housekeeping and other necessary departments have been notified of this miscommunication. The Hotel was recently purchased by new owners and as you may have noticed we have been working very diligently on upgrading and renovating the entire facility. Since the purchase we have renovated and introduced three new restaurants, updated the fitness center, overhauled both the indoor and outdoor pools, and built a brand new pool side bar. Currently we are in the process of restoring the Crystal Ballroom, refurbishing the event center, as well as the entire façade of the hotel is in the midst of a much needed face lift. As for the hotel rooms they are next on the extensive “to do” list. We have had several meetings with the room designer, and the renovation is scheduled to begin this fall. We appreciate your stay with us and hope you will stay with us again in the future to see more upgrades completed.
East Elmhurst, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

We (me and my wife) stayed at the Fernwood Hotel and Resort Villa and came back today. We had reservation for two nights and three days but we came back one day earlier so we left today Sep 27th instead of staying till 28th. The place is disgusting and smelly. The headboard of the bed was broken and the carpet is extremely dirty. The studio villa had a jacuzzi but once you use that you don't get hot water when taking a shower and the shower head is so clogged that it sprays water all over. You are also paying for the first day just to sleep because the check in time is at 4pm and by that time most of the places to visit are close to closing hours. On the second day morning I received a call from the corporate office asking us to attend a an hour and half of meeting at "vacation preview center" and told us that for attending the meeting we will be receiving a certificate for free two nights and three days at a two bedroom villa with fire place, jacuzzi, and a kitchen. When we went to the vacation preview center a sales woman greeted us and tried to sell vacation packages to us and told us that if we don't purchase a vacation package we don't get the certificate for two days and three nights at the two bedroom villa. What a scam! Even the corporate people lie to you to sell the vacation packages. I was mad and asked for the manager and the sales woman came back telling us that the manager is busy and we can leave. When checking out of the villa their system had some error and showed that we had a balance of about $113 to pay, of course we didn't pay since all was paid correctly when we made the reservation but it is a dirty feeling treated like this. Never ever going back to this disgusting place ever again even if they really offer free stays.

Room Tip: The rooms are too old and dirty. They don't seem to change the carpet for god knows how long.
Long Island, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

I only come to this Dump because I have to. We have been doing a Golf Outing here for a very long time and it's too inconvenient to rearrange the whole outing. But if you are set on staying here, you have to stay in the villas, either Treetop or Faiway. The "Hotel" is downright scary. Please take heed to all the warnings about the hotel. We stayed in the Treetop Villas this year and it was not terrible. Luckily we didn't need anything, so not having to tap into Fernwood's abysmal Customer Service was a plus. It's just run down with not a lot of maintainance going into it.

My only recommendation is that if you have your mind set on staying at this property, stay at the Villas. Sure, it is pricier, but the reviews on the "Hotel" are very accurate so don't complain about it not meeting your expectations, because it won't. And oh yea, bring extra towels because linen/towel service is non existent. Last year I asked for new towels and they told me that the unit is equipped with a washer/dryer and that I should do laundry!?!?

The place is frequented by a lower class of people, I'm not racist or snobby, as this "lower class" refers to Whites, Hispanics and Blacks, that just lack common courtesy and respect. Seriously consider elsewhere, or stay in the villas.

It's perfect for us because we're just a bunch of drunken guys that are happy to be away from our wives and kids, but I would never take my family here.

Room Tip: Stay in the Villas...Hotel rooms are scary, smelly, run down.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
I would like to apologize for your unsatisfactory stay here at Fernwood. I hope next year’s golf outing you will be surprised at the amount of renovations and upgrades here in the hotel. Currently as you may have noticed we were renovating the entire facility inside and out. Beginning with the lobby, three new restaurants, the Crystal Ballroom, the Edwardian, the Event Center, the indoor and outdoor pools, fitness center and currently we are continuing the face lift of the entire façade of the hotel. We have also had multiple meetings with a room designer and the renovations on those are set to begin soon. We hope that you will stay with us again in the future.
Byron Center, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Arrived late at night. No light in the parking area where we were sent nor was there a light over the front door.Problematic because there were steps down from the parking light and once again to enter the building.Dim lighting inside led to a suite that smelled like old cigarettes and smoke.Killed spiders and centipedes and found several dead bugs throughout.The toillet ran all night, the refrigerator made noise and the heater kept trying to turn on(the room was very cold).Bathroom was dirty, towels thin,kitchen counter chipped,limited dishes broken shelf in cupboard,the toilets were full of rust and smelled of urine.The carpet was ripped and filthy,Sleeping on the floor would have been more comfortable than the bed,.The signs say to use handrails but when I did it pulled out of the outside wall.I tried to open the slider to air the room but the screen was laying next to the door. The window screen was broken also. We went to the front desk where they seemed surprised.They sent us to look at 2 more units equally disgusting.We were told that they would get there maintanance crew right on it,but judging from other reviews that is a standard line.We cancelled our week and now are rearranging our vacation while we stay at a spotless Holiday Inn Express. Fernwood should be shut down. Trust me unless you like dumps stay away.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
On behalf of Fernwood Hotel, I would like to apologize for your inconvenient stay. Fernwood Hotel was recently purchased by new owners and with that came new management we are currently working on perfecting the most seamless team from housekeeping to customer service and everything in between. We thank you for your feedback and stay as we can only improve from each. On behalf of Fernwood Hotel I hope that you will stay with us again in the near future to see the countless upgrades, improvements and renovations being made here every day.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012 via mobile

Reading recent reviews affirms the comments we gave to mgt. 4 years ago when we stayed here on our way to Cape Cod for our 25th anniversary. As Betty Davis said, "What A Dump!" My AAA agent even recommended this place! Find other lodgings - Red Roofs Inns are better than this place. Staff was friendly but it couldn't overcome a dirty, worn-out motel. NOT a resort by any standard...

• Stayed October 2011
Philly
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

We went to Bushkill Falls and needed a place to stay for the night as we were heading into NY the next day. The cashier at the Bushkill Falls gift shop recommended Fernwood and said it was only $49/night since it was off season and during the week. Well, when we walked into the lobby, it felt strange, empty, strange smell, etc. We were given a 2nd floor room in the Southwood building. The hall had an awful smell, but I hoped the room would be better. As we were walking down the hallway, a door opened and a huge dog came flying out, barking and growling at us. We were terrified and just froze, suitcases and all. I didn't know they allowed pets here. The owner was on her cell phone and kept calling the dog to come back, but did not come get her, just kept saying she won't hurt you. The dog came closer and my husband said let's go. We returned to the lobby, where the manager acted surprised there was a dog there, and we got our refund and hit the road. Disgusting, rundown, smelly, and strange people hanging around in the parking lot. STAY AWAY!!

Room Tip: Stay away!!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Lherman2012, Customer Service at Fernwood Resort, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
On behalf of the entire Fernwood Hotel and Convention Center Staff I would like to apologize as your stay was unsatisfactory. We understand that the hotel rooms are outdated and are not perfect. The hotel was recently purchased by new owners, and since this purchase we have done nothing but renovate and upgrade the entire facility piece by piece. We understand this takes time and we hope our customers do as well. Since the purchase we have complete renovating the lobby of the hotel, 3 new restaurants, upgraded the outdoor pool, fitness center and currently we are in the process of restoring the Crystal Ballroom, refurbishing the event center, as well as the entire façade of the hotel is in the midst of a much needed face lift. As for the hotel rooms their renovations are in the process with designers currently.
-Steve Bartlett Chief Operating Officer

Been to Fernwood Resort? Share your experiences!