“Okay, but Deerfield Spa could do much better!” 3 of 5 stars

Deerfield Spa
3.0 of 5 Spa   |   650 Resica Falls Road, East Stroudsburg, PA 18301   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Okatie, South Carolina
“Okay, but Deerfield Spa could do much better!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2009

I returned yesterday from my mini-week (5 nights) at Deerfield Spa. Each year my mother and I take a trip to a spa that has controlled food and a good variety of activities. I'm 45, mother is 68. This year we selected Deerfield Spa.

What we were expecting by the brochure,, website, guest reviews - wasn't what I think we received. Yes the price is reasonable, but we left with no plans to return and not relaxed as we had hoped. With spa services, taxes, amenity fee, etc. it was about $1800 per person.

Positives First:
- GREAT guests during our week. There were 12 of us and we got along very well. It was the best part of the trip.
- The hiking guides know their stuff. Janet is a Naturalist and is great to be with on a hike. Not only is she knowledgeable, she is good to just talk too. Because it rained every day we were there, I was usually the only one or one of a very few people on the hikes. The hikes are a nice break from classroom exercising. NOTE: there are no bathrooms on the hikes. So if you drink a lot or have to go to the bathroom a lot, there is no place to go to the bathroom (woods only).
- Food was good for the calories. There were items that weren't fantasic, but we were so hungry any food was good. On average, I ate between 1200 - 1300 a day. At first it was too low, but then my body adjusted.
- The pool is decent size for water activities, but there are no umbrellas to get out of the sun. The pool is in the direct sunlight (unfortunately, we didn't see any of it!)

Could be better:
- Location. The pictures give you the impression that it is off in the woods and very peaceful and quiet. It isn't peaceful at all. The house is right next to a very busy road. So if you were planning to sit on the front porch and read a book, forget it. The traffic is so loud you get a headache after only a few minutes. You can hear the traffic throughout the property including the rooms. There is absolutely nothing to do here. You are pretty much confined to the property.
- Rooms. We stayed in the Annex which is suppose to be the better rooms. I don't know what the other rooms looked like, but the Annex wasn't all that great. Motel 6ish. Walls paper thin. If you have loud guests next to you it is very disruptive. Our last night was hard to make through because of a group of 4 that were very loud talkers. You can't get internet in the Annex. You can get wireless access in the main lounge area. There is a TV and 1-sink bathroom. The advantage of the Annex rooms - they are right by the pool and further away from the road traffic.
- Service: No one really acts like that like their jobs or want to make this spa a success. There are so many things to list in the area of service that l'd rather just say, "what service".
- Spa: Massage worth $80, but sugar scrub not worth $90 nor was the facial worth $135. The Micro Current machine was broken so I didn't get the benefit of trying this procedure.
- Fitness staff: Joe is really good, but he is the only one that I think cares to do what is right for the guest and is truely a fitness expert. The rest of the staff gave us the impression it was "just a job".

There was no orientation to the property or the "rules" provided the first day of check-in. There is no overview of anything. The only thing you get is your blood pressure checked and weighed in. But the blood pressure isn't checked again or the weight followed up on. No measurements were taken.

We were just given keys and pointed to the Annex that was our orientation. The 2nd day there was a very brief overview of the classs. Nothing was talored to the person and their goals. There were no bio's on the instructors and some of the classes weren't defined.

Nothing was asked about why we where there and what we wanted to accomplish. If it were not for 1 guest who had been there the prior week willing to take us and the other 9 ladies under her wing, we wouldn't have known anything.

Oh, after eating 1500 ess calories per day than I was before arriving and exercising the entire week, I lost no weight. I think I lost inches (but I can't say for sure because they didn't take any measurements).

All in all, this was a huge disappointment and I feel as if we wasted our money. I'd like to transplant the other 10 ladies in a better spa and have a "do over" week at another spa. If it were not for the group that attended May 3 - May 8th, we would have checked out early and went home.

This wasn't the program and staff that I had expected at a Spa Finder Top Destination Spa.

Other key information:

- Yo Wei: We went on the Yo Wei speciality class week with Jolene Puffer. Jolene was the highlight of the week. What an incredible person. High Energy, fun, nice, very fit and was the most helpful to my mother. We really liked Yo Wei and I would highly recommend if you do go to Deerfield, attend during the Yo Wei week with Jolene. There is another week coming up in Aug/Sept. You will not regret it!

Cell Service: Unless you have Verizon or AT&T, you can't get any phone calls. Your cell won't work. I have T-Mobile and my mother has Sprint. Neither of us had service. There are no public phones. Nothing in the material let's you know that cell service is a problem. My mother's husband is 78 and she could only speak to him via email. You could ask to borrow the spa's phone, but what a hassle!

Laundry: There is no on-site laundry. You have to pay the spa to do your laundry. If you are planning multiple weeks, you will need to go off property to get your laundry done.

Fly vs. Drive: You won't want to fly to this resort. Having a car to get off the property as well as to pack extra comforts from home is important.

Water: The only water is in a small dispenser and at meals. I luckily brought two cases of water with me, but many did not. If you drive, bring water.

Smoking: I was shocked to see Deerfield kitchen and spa staff smoking. And they smoke right outside the kitchen door. The smoke goes into the upper rooms above the kitchen. For a "healthy" retreat, Deerfield should be a non-smoking property for guests and for employees.

Extra's to Bring

If you like Spin Class (which I recommend with Joe), bring a gel seat. You will not enjoy the spin class unless you have a gel seat. I wrapped two towels around the seat and it still wasn't enough. The spa doesn't have a "packing list", but this is certainly something that should be on the list. I really liked the Spin class (my first one), and wished I had brought my gel bike seat.

Bring two pair of exercise shoes. One for hiking and outdoor activities one for the gym.

I realize everyone has different experiences and how they feel about a place is very different by their experiences. Since I've traveled a lot, and been to many spas, this isn't one that I particularly enjoyed or would return too in the future. However, please make your own decisions about what you want out of the week and what you are willing to spend.

• Stayed May 2009

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Valley Stream, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2008

After reading an article in the New York Times, checking their website and the reviews here on Trip Advisor, my friend and I decided to give Deerfield Spa a try. What a wonderful weekend! We enjoyed ourselves, the location, the facilities, the spa services, the staff and the food. It was a wonderfully relaxing time but we got in some good work outs and the low-calories meals were delicious. We look forward to going back for a longer stay in 2009. Joan, the owner, is very hands on and takes a sincere interest in her guests. We met many nice people there who we hope to keep in contact with. If you are looking to get away, to jump start your weight loss or to make some healthy changes in your lifestyle, Deerfield Spa is the place to go!!

• Liked — The room, the facilities, the people
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Red Bank, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2008

I spent several weeks at Deerfield Spa this summer and the experience was nothing short of life-changing. I chose Deerfield because I knew from previous, shorter visits that it was one of the friendliest and lowest-key spas I'd ever been to (and I've been to a lot of them). Also, this was going to be a long stay, and Deerfield is known as one of the top affordable spas in North America, so its reasonable prices would make a longer stay do-able for me.
As always, I found the staff – from the front desk crew and fitness staff, to the dining room team and massage therapists, even the housekeepers and overnight office attendant – warm, friendly, and nurturing. But beyond that, everyone was genuinely interested in me and my personal health and fitness goals. Everyone was so accessible. I got plenty of personal attention from the trainers; the dining room staff always remembered what I liked, whether it was my favorite tea or having my tomatoes on the side; the office staff was always good for a laugh; and the massage therapists are beyond good…they’re gifted!
But what is SO different about Deerfield is the type of guests it attracts – and subsequently the kind of friends I made while I was there. We had so much fun together, staying up late swapping stories and giggles. A lot of nights after dinner, in addition to the spa’s scheduled activities like belly dancing (that was a hoot!) or cooking lessons, a few people would organize an impromptu game of basketball or pool races. Some nights we shared a bottle of wine, watching the world go by, from Deerfield’s idyllic front porch. Deerfield attracts a genuinely low-key crowd. These are people who can afford to go almost anywhere, who certainly know the finer things in life, but they choose to come to this casual place because there’s not an ounce of pretension here, no keeping up with the Joneses, just good exercise, great food that’s actually great for you, world-class pampering, and a lot of laughs!
As the end of my stay approached, I found myself feeling sad to leave, but truly renewed on a deep personal level, reminded of the importance of good friends in my life, and most importantly, capable… I felt for the first time in a long time that I am actually capable of sustaining the healthy lifestyle habits I’d adopted while I was at Deerfield. And since my return home, I have demonstrated to myself over and over that, indeed, I CAN make my health and wellness a priority, I CAN make time for friends and family, I CAN eat proper portion sizes, I CAN get myself out of my office chair and get some exercise when I’m not particularly in the mood to do so, and the proof is in the pudding, because I’ve continued to lose weight and firm up and feel great. And it all started at Deerfield. This is an amazing place filled with amazing people, in a wonderful setting, and being there this summer changed my life. I treasure my tine there and I can’t wait to go back.

• Liked — fun and friendly
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2008

My friend and I went to the Deerfield Spa for a relaxing "girlfriend getaway." We were especially excited for this trip as Deerfield had great reviews and seemed to be reasonably priced. Instead of an affordable spa getaway, we got ripped off by an old lady fat farm. The front desk staff was rude and the spa treatment areas noisy and dingy. The prices were outrageous. Spa treatments were overpriced and we paid too much for a small room with soiled linens and rock hard beds and 900 calories per day. Definitely not worth the hassle.

• Liked — Location near hiking and shopping
  • Disliked — The staff, the food
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2008

I was searching online for health and weight loss spas as well as places that offered fun activities, yoga, and meditation. Having a tendency to be a high-strung person, I really felt like I needed to get away and take some time to try to take care of myself physically and mentally. I really needed to de-stress.
I had never been away on vacation alone and was really worried about how things might go being alone. Well, all those worries washed away when I arrived at Deerfield. At one point, I actually thought to myself, maybe I had died and was in heaven. I was so completely relaxed, happy, and peaceful. This was one of the very best things I've ever done for myself. I loved every minute of it and didn't want to leave. I actually cried the day that I had to go home b/c I had never felt such peace as I did there. And I laughed more in a week there then I had in a long time. Everything at Deerfield was wonderful. The buildings are nice and quaint and very homey. The excercise classes are amazing. I loved the pool aerobics and hiking was amazing. The instructors are friendly, knowledgable, and fun. I learned how to eat healthy and have it taste good at the same time. Best of all, the people were wonderful. I felt like I had known the people there for ages. We had such a good time together and laughed so much. It's very motivating to be around positive people who are there to have fun, get healthier, and relax all at the same time. I almost forgot, the massages were excellent as well. I had the Lomi-Lomi and a Swedish massage. I was just telling someone how much I loved Deerfield last night and I thought that I should share this information. This is a place where you can be alone if you want to or you can never be alone if you don't want to. You can relax and get pampered all week, you can workout non-stop, or a combination of both. It is whatever you make of it. For the first time in ages, I actually WANTED to workout and take the classes and go hiking, etc... It was fun. I am still working on implementing these changes into my daily life. I left with a renewed awareness of what types of food I put into my body and I also left with a feeling of accomplishment. I took a chance by going on a vacation/adventure solo and it worked out perfectly to say the least. I wish I could go back to Deerfield as I'm writing this. Hopefully I will be able to meet up with the same group of women I met during my stay next summer. Until then, take care!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Lack of toiletries
  • Stayed July 2008
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2008

I had put down a $100 deposit for an 18 day tour of Spain when I decided that I was feeling really low. I needed to feel healthy again by eating right and exercising. So, instead of Spain, I searched the Internet and chose to go to Deerfield Spa-in the Pocono Mountains about 2 hours away from where I grew up in Pennsylvania. It is a decision that I will NEVER regret as my 3 week stay at Deerfield has motivated me to make positive changes in my life. I can't say enough good things about my spa experience. My friends teased me before I left, telling me I'd be home in a week, but instead I stayed the 3 weeks and cried when it came time for me to leave. Everyone from the trainers to the wait staff, the hiking guides and the people at the front desk were accommodating, friendly, knowledgeable, motivating and made me laugh daily! Throughout the day and evening laughter could be heard throughout the house and in the gyms! There were plenty of activities to chose from beginning at 6:30 am and ending around 4pm. All the activities are voluntary and there is never pressure to do anything you don't want to do, but I chose to pack my days with morning power walks, the AM stretch, pilates, various aerobic and weight training classes, circuit training, boxing circuit, pool classes, boot camp and hiking to name a few. I even tried yoga and Qi Gong! There were weekly trips to the Outlets for shopping and the Mount Airy Casino and a movie theater are just a short drive away. The evenings were busy too. I liked to get massages in the evening...the Lomi Lomi was INCEREDIBLE and I truly enjoyed the Swedish Massages too. Deerfield offered Irish Dancing, Belly Dancing, Taro Card lectures and readings, Bingo and cooking classes in the evenings. There were daily lectures given by the trainers that were informative and motivating. The food at Deerfield is AMAZING! I couldn't believe that after ordering my meals each evening that I was eating less than 1,400 calories because it sure tasted like more! My favorite lunch was the turkey burger with non-fat pesto mayonnaise. The fruit was always fresh and delicious. Dinner time was always fun because every night the dessert was a surprise. Some of my favorites (and there are MANY) were the mini-cheese cakes, cherry delight and tiramisu to name just a few. The people I met at Deerfield during my stay made my time there even better than I could have imagined. Many guests had been going to Deerfield for 10 or more years and I realize now why they keep coming back! The camaraderie between guests is unmatched. I have traveled alone many times in my life, but at Deerfield I never felt alone. Each week I was pleasantly surprised by the people I met, many of whom I will keep in touch with via e-mail and I hope to meet again when I return to Deerfield next summer. I ended up losing 15lbs during my 3 week stay and I wish I had taken my measurements because I know I lost lots of inches too. I left Deerfield feeling empowered, happy and ready to face the challenges of everyday life. I have continued to eat right, exercise daily and feel so much better about myself and the future. I can't wait to return to Deerfield and when I do the staff will see an improved me and I will be forever thankful to all of them for helping me change my life for the better. I never got back the $100 deposit that I put down for my trip to Spain....but It was definitely worth losing that money as I gained (not weight) so much more from my stay at Deerfield!

• Liked — The people
  • Disliked — loved it all
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2008

This was my second stay here, and once again had a very nice experience. The food was excellent, the staff and other guests friendly. Affordable, down to earth, homey, and in the very pretty Pocono mountains of Pennsylvania, near the Delaware Water Gap.

• Stayed September 2007
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Deerfield Spa? Share your experiences!