“Much less than expected” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Dunmore
Barboursville
“Much less than expected”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

Where do I start? Well, I called hotel the day before arrival to make my reservation. During the process, I did request an "early check-in" as I would be driving 10 plus hours to get there. I was told it would not be a problem.
The morning of my arrival, I called to let them know that I was in the area. The front desk clerk Heather took my cell phone number and said she would call as soon as my room was ready. Now keep in mind, you would think that as someone that is an "Elite Diamond" member of the hotel chain rewards program, you would do your best to accomodate them by assuring that the housekeeping staff was aware of the early arrival request and do your best to get that room cleaned first.
By noon, I had not heard anything from the hotel. I called again and Heather answered again. Heather stated that the room was still not ready and woould call when it was. In the meantime I am in Scranton/Dunmore area with nothing to do and nowhere to stay. Finally at 2:00 PM (1 hour before "normal check-in) I called again to find out if my room was ready. Theresa answered this time. She stated that she was the Front Desk manager. I explained everythiig to her starting from the original call to make the reservation to this point. She apologized and put me on hold to find out what was what. Low and behold, when she got back on the line my room was ready! How convienent!
Now I made my reservation for 8 day's. I was told that I would be switching rooms two different times during my stay because of previous reservation commitments. I can understand this and was willing to move as needed.
These pictures are of furniture and the tub of the first room that I am given. For what I am paying for this room, you would think that it would be better appointed/cleaned than what I was presented with. The first set of pictures are of the first room.
I will update this as I move from room to room.

Room Tip: Make you reservation well in advance and find a different hotel.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
earlville, ny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2011

CLEAN! everywhere, room, hallways, breakfast, pool! room was less than 100, clean, comfy beds, very nice decor (art work and colors). Shower is on the small side. Pool and hot tub very nice, unusual for a lower end hotel. Breakfast waffles, hard boiled eggs, bagels, oatmeal, yogurts, ect. I agree with earlier posts-difficult to find, watch for right hand turn into lot.

Room Tip: book on line then follow up with a call to request a non smoking room
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
LA, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2011

We woke up early in the morning woth bug bites on my legs. After careful investigation, it was determined that the bed was infested with bed bugs.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Grafton, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

We had a tough time finding the place, but once there, we were pleasantly surprised. It seems there was a recent remodel compared to the photos on the Sleep Inn web site. The room was clean and the duvet cover seemed like it had been recently washed. The bathroom was spacious and clean. Even the carpet seemed clean. We were traveling with many other people and we all had multiple dogs in our rooms. The hotel was very very accomodating to our canine needs. Of course, the dogs slept in crates, not in the bed. The breakfast was par for the course. We wish there were more restaurants nearby to chose from. If I ever go back to the area, I will definately stay at the Sleep Inn again.

Room Tip: We were on the first floor, non-smoking, I recommend you do the same.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Winston Salem, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

We recently stayed at this hotel for 5 days and it was a wonderful experience! Hotel nicely decorated, rooms clean and comfortable, staff very friendly and welcoming! We were traveling with our toddler so we asked for extra towels several times and were always greeted with a smile and more towels! Every staff member we encountered was professional and friendly to our family and asked us how our stay was going. We were always able to reply that our stay was going very well!

One day, during, our stay, I realized that I had left my wedding band, engagement ring, and another ring in a paper cup after we had left the hotel for an appointment with our realtor. I had washed my hands and applied lotion and did not want to get lotion on my rings. So I had put the rings in a clean paper cup and set them aside. Then, I forgot to put them back on. During our appointment I realized my error and called the front desk. Maria answered the phone. I explained what had happened and that I was concerned housekeeping could have thrown the cup away while cleaning the room. I was concerned and worried about my jewelry. Maria, very kindly and sensitively, asked for my cell phone number so she could call me back. She had the room checked and called me back to assure me that my rings were just where I had left them in the paper cup and would not be, accidentally, thrown away. She was very kind and professional.

Another staff member named Maria was also very professional and kind to us as we arrived back to the hotel, exhausted, after looking for a new home all day with our toddler. She always asked how we were doing and talked with our toddler.

Chris, another staff member was also very friendly and professional. He always checked in with us, and asked if we needed anything as we walked by the front desk.

Cheryl, the housekeeping supervisor asked us, daily, how we were doing and if we needed anything for our room and how our stay was going. She was very professional and friendly.

Melinda, our housekeeper always had a friendly smile for all of us and asked if we needed anything for the room. She did such a nice job cleaning our room and taking special care to change our sheets as our toddler spilled food on them sometimes.

There were so many other staff members that were so friendly and professional and we can't remember their names and wish we could! Our stay was very pleasant and we appreciate the professional and kind staff!

Stay here-you will love it!

Room Tip: King beds are comfortable here!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

Have stayed here once last year and what a difference a year makes! This hotel is newly remodeled with brand new flat screen tv's, microwaves and refridgerators in the rooms. The breakfast has many options, although we were told that a hot breakfast will be coming soon that we will definately be back for. The staff is excellent, they go above and beyond with everything you need, unlike the other hotel staff in the area I have come in contact with. This place is a must to stay at for such a good price!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Wildwood Crest, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2011

I have stayed here several times and found that this hotel had been a very pleasant place to stay. This time I found that the room was dirty when I arrived and when I complained about the room when I checked out, the front desk person seemed liked she could care less. I travel extensively and this was very unacceptible.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business

Been to Sleep Inn & Suites Scranton Dunmore? Share your experiences!