“Very nice place to stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Scranton East Hotel & Convention Center

Save Saved
You added BEST WESTERN PLUS Scranton East Hotel & Convention Center to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS Scranton East Hotel & Convention Center
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   200 Tigue Street, Dunmore, PA 18512-2652 (Formerly Scranton East Hotel & Convention Center)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #2 of 4 hotels in Dunmore
Wellsboro, Pennsylvania
“Very nice place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

I liked this place a lot. We got a jacuzzi room and it was a very big room. The walk in shower was a little small. The pool was awesome and the huge hot tub was the best. Very friendly staff. The restaurant for dinner was just so so. They burnt the cheese sticks and still tried to serve them to us. My daughters hamburger was wonderful as well as my husbands chicken rap. I ordered the pizza big mistake. The say the use fresh ingredients, well not the crust. You could tell it was frozen and not fresh at all. The breakfast was so much better than I was expecting. This hotel was a very good value for this area.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
BestWesternScranton, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Scranton East Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Dear Guest,

I thank-you for taking the time to place your review about our hotel and your stay.

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and I apologize for you not liking the pizza in our restaurant.

I look forward to having you as our guest in the very near future.

302 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

During my stay, the employees were kind and courteous. The property was a little bit old, but decent for a quick night's rest. Given the price, I would have rated this property 3.5/5.

However, with that said, there are some unethical things going on behind the scenes with the financial and management people.

TO EVERYONE WHO'S STAYED HERE: check your bank account for six months

My situation & timeline:
- I stayed overnight in July and prepaid through Priceline. Thus, I should not have been charged anything upon checkout and I wasn't.
- Fast forward to December, an approximately $100 charge was processed by them via my credit card. At first I thought it was fraud, contacted my bank, and they told me that "hotels have six months to finalize transactions," but I could file a claim. This Best Western waited for five months and 27 days. However, I gave them the benefit of the doubt and didn't immediately file the claim.
- Contacted the accounting department and they quickly apologized, promising a refund in several business days. Three weeks nothing. I followed up and the manager was impatient and rude. Still nothing. I wasn't even rude and told him "thanks for your time."
- So I file a bank claim, hoping that the manager would be forced to look at my issue and refund my money. 30 days past and the hotel reject's my bank claim, saying it was a valid charge.

So now, I'm not really worried about the money, just a little annoyed. I will have to file another claim, write a letter, and no doubt I will win. However, the unethical business practices of this hotel, just to earn an extra buck, makes me uncomfortable.

So Mr. Best Western manager, you are a thief.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
BestWesternScranton, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Scranton East Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Dear Guest,

I'm sorry that you are disatisfied with our billing problem. I can assure you I'm not a thief and I will try to explain this to you. I never spoke to you for I was in the hospital, so if you spoke to someone it was not me and for 'I'm the only manager on board and I was not here for medical reasons.

As you stated the bank said we have up to six months to charge your card. We know you were a price line booking for your reservation, but we billed you for your upgrade from a regular standard room to a Jacuzzi Suite and that is what we billed you for. I do apologize they did not bill you sooner due to a glitch in the billing system. We did catch the mistake when the accountant went over the ending months and realized your card was never charged for your request for a upgrade Jacuzzi Suite. There for we did charge your card for 30.00 for your stay at our hotel.

I'm not a thief and I simply billed you for what you requested. Price line billed you for a regular room due to that is what you booked through them and when you arrived there was a difference in the upgrade to a Jacuzzi Suite. This is the explanation and should you have any further questions please feel free to contact me directly, my name is Rhonda, the hotel manager, whom you claimed you spoke to. I'm sorry your upset we had to bill you.

I'm sorry you are upset with our hotel. I truly understand no one is going to call us if they were not billed and will call if they were billed. We did what any vendor or hotel would do, if they realized their system hadn't billed out the credit cards purchases. Then Again, if it had been another 4 days you probably wouldn't had been billed at all and you wouldn't have been so upset with me.

I'm a very honest hotel manager and I could not allow this to carry on, once I knew and it was brought to my attention, then It would make me a thief, stealing from my own employer, rather then corecting the mistake. I'm sorry you feel this way and should you have any further questions please feel free to contact me directly.

Rhonda C.
Palmyra, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

My burger was great!! Our bartender/server" Maria" took great care of us and kept us laughing all night. I stop here often when I pass through for work. Check it out. They also have great live music on the weekends!

• Stayed February 2014
Dear Guest,

I thank-you for your time placing this review. I'm glad to hear you enjoy your dinner in our restaurant. I thank-you for the compliments.

I look forward to having you as our guest in the very near future.

Rhonda C.
Lebanon, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

From the moment we walked in to the moment we left the hotel staff was extremely helpful and friendly. The lobby, pool, and room was great! I got a jacuzzi room to relax after my days of work and really got a steal price comparable to other locations I've been. Breakfast every morning was a bonus; eggs, bacon or sausage... didn't care for the potatoes but the waffles were amazing! Just overall great stay and will be continuing to stay there for my time in Scranton! Thanks for the moment! Nikki

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Dear Guest,

I thank-you for taking the time to post your review about our hotel and your stay.

I thank-you for your wonderful compliments and hope to see you again in the very near future.

I'm glad you took the time to enjoy our hot complimentary breakfast buffet.

We look forward to having you as our guest again.

RhondaC.
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

Elaine at the front desk was an absolute delight when we were checking in. She helped us with our room accommodation at the most reasonable price! Our room was very clean and our king sized bed was one of the best we have ever slept in at a hotel. The hotel is in a very convenient location and when we are passing through again, we will be staying there!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I thank-you for taking the time to post this review about our hotel. I thank-you for complimenting Elaine and we strive to deliver excellant customer service.

I'm glad you had a very comfortable and clean room and enjoyed a good nights sleep.

I look forward to having you as one of our many repeated guest in the very near future.

I thank you for staying with us and look forward to seeing you again.

New York, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

Phil at the front desk was a great guy and provided us an excellent greeting to the hotel. However, the managers behind him kept their back to us and proceeded with other work without acknowledging new guests. Its a relatively large place and doesnt feel too cheap. You can tell its on the budget end but its not one of those cheap, rank motels. Theres an attempt at luxury, albeit not very good. There are a bunch of rooms surrounding a giant pool in the building, and rest assured the rooms definitely wreak of chlorine. The pool stays open until 10, so if you plan on sleeping before then, dont bother. Kids screaming will make sure you stay awake as long as they do. I went with a king size bed, which was comfortable, but was given 4 baby-sized pillows to cover the bed. Also, the shower head was broken and didnt provide a full stream of water. Thankfully I was able to shower under the dribble and splash myself with water. Lastly, bathroom had a cheap, slightly damaged drop ceiling that just screamed poor construction. Breakfast wasnt bad, pretty good potatoes. Place was an ok stay. I only needed one night and it was one of the lowest rates in the area. For what it cost, and the few hours I spent, it worked. Average.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Dear Guest,

I thank-you for taking your time to place your review about our hotel.

I really wished you had given me the opportunity to discuss with you all of your disatisfactions with our hotel.

Should you stay with us in the future always feel free to contact me, with any disatisfaction you may have. We are here to make your stay a memorable happy stay.

Syracuse, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

The Hotel was great. The Continental Breakfast was one of the best we have had in a long time. The bar was horrible. The Bartenders had no clue about the drinks/alcohol I was looking for. I assume if I was one of the regulars that shows up on Saturday night they would not have been so rude.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I thank-you for taking your time to place this review about our hotel.

I'm very pleased you enjoyed our hot complimentary breakfast buffet.
I apologize for the rudeness of the bartender and inform you she is no longer with our lounge. I hope to have you again as our guest in the very near future. Please feel free to contact me if I can be of any assistance with a future reservation.

Hotel Manager

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Scranton East Hotel & Convention Center? Share your experiences!