“Good rates for the area” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Wye Motor Lodge

Wye Motor Lodge
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Duncansville
Wye Motor Lodge
200 Plank Rd, Duncansville, PA 16635   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Duncansville B&B and Inns
homosassa, fl
“Good rates for the area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We were in PA for a family reunion, and needed a place to stay for three nights. . We made reservations after checking out prices in the area, I couldn't figure why all the area motels were so overpriced. If you are looking for luxury, don't stop here, but it was clean, near the small towns that my 92 year Mom's family was living. As it turned out, this motel was within sight of a tragic auto/train accident my Mom was in 76 years ago.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

9 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

We were looking for an inexpensive place to stay after a ballgame, and my wife insisted on the AAA approved older place versus the other old motels (which looked pretty seedy). I got my vintage, and she got her peace of mind.

The motel is probably mid-late '50s, and started life as the Penn Alto Motel. It has been very well kept up. The rate was a little on the high side for an older place in PA ($65 for a king, with our AAA card). They were nice enough to let us check in around 2:30, so we could freshen up before the game. Our room was very large, and had a clock, fridge, and microwave, and a large (if old) TV. The bed was very clean and comfortable, and the pillows were so nice that my wife actually let me use mine. The wi-fi signal was pretty good in our room.

The bathroom was clean, and although the vintage fixtures had been replaced, there was still some nice tile. Plenty of hot water, and soap/shampoo provided. There's even a hair dryer, which is not something you find at most older places.

Despite the location on a busy road, the room was very quiet and dark at night. All the windows could still be opened, and if it had been cooler, I would have felt safe doing so. We liked the location, you can even walk to dinner at one of the places in the business park behind the motel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012 via mobile

It's clean but it smells like smoke really bad here and the people who work there are very rude!!!!

• Stayed April 2012

Travelers are raving about these Duncansville hotels

Scotland, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012 via mobile

Went to area on own dime; was looking for a deal. All the hotels were overpriced, including motel 6. Found this place online and it was like staying at grandmas. Older furniture, beds, etc. but the rooms were clean and the staff friendly. For the price, this is the best value of anywhere in West Central Pa. It is no glam; but the money saved is no small feat.

• Stayed June 2011
Cresson
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

I found this hotel to be very nice! It had everything we needed a comfortable bed, clean room, fridge and microwave all for around 55 dollars what more could you as for? Yes it wasnt a 5 star hotel but you also arent spending a 5 star price. I would certainly stay here again if in the area/needed!!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Hanover, PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

My family and I have stayed at the Wye Motor Lodge on several different trips to the Altoona, PA area over the last 5 years. This past trip was the third time we've stayed there, and unfortunately, it will be the last.
We had always chosen the Wye because it was a clean, reasonable, conveniently located hotel. It's a no-frills place (no pool, no continental breakfast, etc.), but that was okay with us. I am more concerned that the place is clean and safe, which is what we had always found to be true in the past. This time around we found the room to be clean, etc., but the safety of our room was another story.
We left our room at around 10 am on the first day of our vacation and I was sure to lock the door, which I'd noticed was hard to shut/lock properly. (I did not place the "do not disturb" sign on the knob, since I hoped for the housekeeping staff to make up the room while we were away.) It was exceptionally hot out and so we left our AC unit on because the temps. were supposed to reach 100 degrees that day and we hoped to return to a cool room.
We continued with our vacation plan for the day, which included a trip to Lakemont Park and an Altoona Curve game. When we returned after the game, the outside temp was still 91, at 10:30 at night. We were all beat and looking forward to showers and a good night's sleep. So you can imagine our annoyance to find the room door unlocked and left open about 8 inches!! Thankfully, nothing in the room was touched, but our first thought was that anyone could have waltzed right in and taken whatever they'd wanted. Our second point of frustration was that not only was the door left open, but the AC was turned completely off, and the room was hot as an oven!! It took a good 2 hours to get cooled back down. It was definitely not the nice, cool room we'd hoped to come back to!! And honestly, it made for a miserable night's sleep.
My husband was upset and immediately called the office to complain and the attitude he was greeted with was "so what? nothing was stolen; and it was because of the humidity that the door didn't close properly." Now, I understand that mistakes happen, and that people are only human, etc., but I would have really, really appreciated an apology or some kind of offer of "I'll be sure to tell the staff to be more careful". I decided to try speaking to the office personnel in the morning, and was greeted by the same nonchalant replies and the attitude of "it's no big deal, because nothing was taken". Umm...that wasn't the point! The point is that when I leave a hotel for the day I expect that my items are reasonably secure. (Granted, I would never tempt fate and leave a wad of cash laying around the room, but regardless...I expect the things I leave in my room to be safe while I'm away.) Anyway, long story short, I was so irritated by the lack of understanding and absence of professionalism in the office personnel that I will NOT be returning to the Wye. I really wish that even one person would have offered an apology or some small token of concern. It would have made a huge difference.
After this incident occurred, we tried to find another hotel (but since all seemed to be booked, we were kind of stuck). The next day, we made the "do not disturb" sign very clear, stuck out that night's stay, and then left. It's unfortunate. They had a good customer in us and have now lost our business. Also I'll be sure to tell folks to book their stay elsewhere.
To sum this up, if you are looking for a inexpensive, clean place to stay, it will probably suit your needs. Just be very careful how you leave your room, and do NOT expect any level of help if you have a problem.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Wye Motor Lodge? Share your experiences!