“Very nice stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Clarion Hotel

You added Clarion Hotel to your Saves list
Clarion Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1896 Rich Highway, DuBois, PA 15801 (Formerly Clarion Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in DuBois
Mcdonald pa
“Very nice stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2011

Andy the GM and the staff where very friendly. The newly remodeled rooms were very nice. I will stay there every time I travel to Dubois.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Jonestown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2011

When we walked in the lady behind the desk was very friendly and helpful. The manager was wonderful and very accommodating as well. The entire hotel was recently renovated and the rooms looked beautiful. The lobby was very clean and well decorated. The rooms were spotless and very well decorated. They have a fitness center and also a restaurant in the hotel. Overall I would highly recommend the hotel.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
DuBois, Pennsylvania, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2011

When we walked in the lady behind the desk was very friendly and helpful. She actually allowed us to check in several hours early! The manager was wonderful and very accommodating as well. The entire hotel was recently renovated and the rooms looked beautiful. The lobby was very clean and well decorated. The rooms were spotless and very well decorated. They have a great fitness center and also a restaurant in the hotel with late hours. Overall I would highly recommend the hotel. It may have been in bad shape before, but at the time of our stay it had turned around and was a great place!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Blairstown, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2010

I don't know, a Butterface (everything hot but her face)maybe? We stayed at this hotel for 5 nights (a long stay for a highway hotel) on a motorcycle trip to see the Elk herd. We had stayed there for a night years ago , and remembered it being fine. We picked it this time since it was within shooting distance of the Elk and the Allegheny forest, had an onsite restaurant, a washer dryer for guest use, and in choice priveleges network. When I first saw the room my heart dropped. It had brown textured walls and ugly worn down carpet. As ugly as the room was, it turned out to be very comfortable for us. It had everything we needed and we were sort of sad to leave. Aside from becoming obsessed with the Elk and needing to stay closer to them next time, we would definitely stay there again. Here's why (not in any order):
Awesome shower pressure
Comfortable bed with lots of pillows
Thick walls in between rooms
A temperature control unit that worked great and didn't keep us up all night!
Free wireless internet that worked fine
All the cable channels
Blackout curtains that worked.
Everything was very clean. Housekeeping did a thorough job. Our room was spotless each time we came in at the end of the day.
The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful (Thanks Karen!).
The restaurant was o.k. (by rural PA standards) , but Missy the bartender/server was a Doll, and drinks are ridiculously cheap!
Friday night Karaoke- the most off the hook Karaoke we have ever witnessed.
Washer Dryer worked well.
Reading chair with ottoman and light behind it was very comfortable- we sat around and read on a rainy morning, and it was very nice.

We have stayed at very fancy hotels that didn't have these things together. The only downside to this hotel aside from its looks is that since the restaurant is privately run, they have to charge for breakfast. We took that opportunity to have late breakfasts on the road when someplace looked interesting. So this hotel might not be the prettiest, but it had a lot of things going for it. It's kind of hard to rate it, since it's nowhere near fancy, but we liked it. We had a great trip, and this hotel contributed to it.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2010

My wife and I were traveling along with our small dog cross country. We booked this hotel without checking hotel reviews. We were tired and were looking for a stop that would accept pets.

I usually book Hilton-family properties, but tried out a Clarion in Fort Collins Colorado two days prior because it fit our trip route well and allowed pets. The Colorado property was very nice so we were expecting something similar in DuBois.

Unfortunately that was not the case. This place is a dump. Think 1980s-vintage bathtub, tile, and room furnishings. But the worst part was the lack of cleanliness. When I entered the room I was seriously considering immediately checking back out and getting back on the road, but after a long drive and unpacking the dog it would have been a major chore.

The tile in the tub area was covered in soap scum and the caulking had black mold spots on it. There was no ventilation in the bathroom either. Plus the floor and walls were noticeably dirty.

I wouldn’t turn on the AC unit, because it appears that an earlier occupant spilled something in the vent and it was all covered with mold and I’d rather be too hot than breath mold all night.

The wireless Internet signal did not each reach my room.

I travel about 40 weeks a year on business and this hotel is the worst place I’ve stayed that I can remember.

In summary, find someplace else to stay.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Elizabeth, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2010

Filthy. It was filthy. There was hair on the sink, on the tub, on the toilet. A recently remodeled hotel that doesn't show it.

I had been driving all day - but because of traffic and other factors out of my control, I was hard pressed to plan ahead with a reservation. I was traveling with my 8.5 lb dog. What I didn't know is that many hotels are no longer pet friendly - so finding something suitable on the road is tougher than it used to be.

I stayed there because because no other properties within 40 miles of DuBois on Interstate 80 accept pets. They charge a $20 deposit for pets - which one would expect given most hotels strive to keep rooms clean to a measurable level and not all pets travel well. However, my dog was cleaner than the room by a long shot.

Even the ironing board was not clean enough to risk my shirt on that surface. The ice bucket still had remnants from the last guest!

But the biggest clue that the room wasn't acceptable was the fact that my dog (my sleep-20-hours-a-day shi tzu) wasn't resting easily. So after a quick nap - out of fear for our safety on the road, I grabbed him and my overnight bag - and we were out of there.

When I went to the front desk to check out - only 6 hours later - They weren't sure what to do about it. After 2 hours back on the road, they called to let me know they were crediting my credit card for $15 - not even the amount of the pet deposit.

This hotel is in the process of applying for a liquor license. If they are successful, that should make the guest experience extra special.

Normally Choice Hotels are well worth the price. But not this one.

My recommendation is to drive on.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2009

We found ourselves at this hotel at the suggestion of the desk clerk of the nearby Holiday Inn Express, which had no rooms on a rainy, windswept night. We had no reservations here, but received a courteous welcome at the front desk at 11 p.m. The hotel is just to the South of Interstate 80. The desk clerk told us that the hotel had been closed for a time, and had reopened under new management just two weeks before. We were offered a wonderful rate of $59.95 (+ taxes) as a [re]-opening special; a card on our room door said the maximum room rate was $109.95. The clerk also said that the rate likely would go up once the hotel was [re-] listed as part of the Choice Hotel network. The main outdoor sign for the hotel had its uppermost part, perhaps containing the Clarion or other Choice Hotel logo, under wraps apparently waiting approval before unveiling.
The room, 125, was nicely sized, with very comfortable beds and pillows. One wall was natural brick, which was very attractive and added warmth to the decor. We did notice a slight smell of smoke/stale air in the corridors but the room itself, non-smoking, was clean and fresh.
The hotel's own restaurant is not yet operational; there's a Dutch Treat restaurant several hundred feet away to the north, with good food and reasonable prices, ideal for breakfast.
Our only concern was that our room faced into the parking lot, and, surprisingly, there was only a sheer curtain present on the window. This meant dressing and undressing in the bathroom, and the intense lighting from the parking lot penetrated the room throughout the night; if you're sensitive to such things, try for a room towards the back.
We commended the front desk staff upon our departure for their friendly attitude and the amazing (though temporary) rate we enjoyed. They promised to consider our suggestion that opaque drapes be installed, for privacy reasons and to improve sleep quality.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business

Been to Clarion Hotel? Share your experiences!