“The owner of the restaurant needs to learn about pleasing her guests.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Slate Bleu Restaurant

Ranked #23 of 119 restaurants in Doylestown
Cuisines: European, French
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
“The owner of the restaurant needs to learn about pleasing her guests.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

Bad service, attitude from the owner who also plays bar tender and hostess. If you are looking to flush $200, go into your bathroom and put it in the toilet and flush. Save yourself the aggravation and frustration.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

66% Recommend
New York City, New York
“The worst food I have ever had in my life!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

What an awful experience!!! My husband ordered celery soup it was bland and just tasted like celery boiled in water. I ordered the salad frisee and it was a MESS. Bland, the bacon raw and croutons soggy. Next up for me was Gnocchi. It arrived looking like a stew. It tasted like someone threw a can of old tomato soup and rotten mushrooms on it. The gnocchi were hard and cold. I tried to get someone's attention to send this dish back but no one arrived until the end. I told the waitress that this was the worst dish I ever had in my life and instead of apologizing she called me rude and insulting. When the bill arrived, we thought surely the food would be taken off our tab. But no! My husband complained and she said she would not because I insulted her husband who is apparently the chef. Well, I think it's insulting to serve inedible food. Further the owner's wife insulted me by saying that I must not eat out much. Indeed, I have travelled the world and eaten at the best of places. McDonald's has it all over this place. The prices are high and for this horrible meal without drinks the tab was over $60. The other couple with us found their food to be bland and not worth it. DO NOT GO HERE UNLESS YOU WANT DOG FOOD FOR DINNER AND INSULTS!

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Light-handed on the seasoning...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

Had dinner at Slate Bleu last night with 7 others. First impression was that this place is really cute, nice atmosphere, a small place but cozy with warm decor. The bar is pretty big and looks like it would be a nice place to sit, have some wine and snacks. It's more of a "small-plates" menu is what was explained to us by the waitress. This means that you could order more than one item from the menu. I picked the beet salad which was a little bland, and I think the beets were canned...or not fresh. They certainly weren't roasted and the whole dish just needed salt. I then ordered the potato gratin and the striped bass. The potatoes again, were bland and needed salt; a little heavy on the thyme too. Overall they were just okay, I wouldn't order them again. The bass was again bland and a little over-cooked. Hubby had the calamari which he also said was bland (noticing a theme here...?). After that, I had enough but hubby ordered the duck which came out steaming...very fast...suspicious that it was actually microwaved. He said he was disappointed and it could have been fresher.
The service was okay, if this is considered a small plates place the waitress could have paid more attention and asked us if we wanted to order additional plates after our first round. Instead, hubby had to grab her attention to put in his last order.
Others in our party seemed to enjoy their meals but we all agreed, it wasn't really small plates instead it was small portions which left you hungry but not hungry enough to want to order more. Plus the prices were not small plate prices. A party of 8, with 20% gratuity automatically added came to $425 with drinks. We did not have dessert, instead went to a local coffee shop.
Slate Bleu get's my rating of "just okay", not a place that I would readily return to again for dinner. Overall I was disappointed by the price and quality of food presented to us. It just didn't have any "wow" and I left underwhelmed and kind of hungry...but not enough to want to eat dinner again.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
“Terrible, regret bringing my wedding party there for rehearsal dinner”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

My now wife and I chose this restaurant for our rehearsal dinner. We ate there once just her and I and it was delicious and the owner and waitress were right by the table to refill water and have the next course ready. Looking back I am sure this is only because they wanted out wedding party to come. We made reservations for about 45 people our wedding party and both of our families. As you can imagine this was a very important dinner.
Not only did the planning of this event become more and more of a head ache as it got closer because the owner of Slate Bleu did not want to accommodate anything with our large party. But when the night came it was possibly the worst service I have ever had at a restaurant. I would have hope for our parents to be served quickly if not first since they are the ones paying for this wonderful event. But for some odd reason the wait staff and owner thought it was a good idea to serve them last. I was finishing my entrée and my dad was just getting his salad, which really bothered me. I was getting nasty looks from all of our family because they had not been served and we were sitting there with our entrees. This just made me sick that a wait staff that knows what the event is could be so irresponsible and inconsiderate.

I just hope this serves as a notice to anyone else that is looking at Slate Bleu as a possible destination or location for a special event. Because if I know this is how my guests would have been treated I would have rather of gone anywhere else.

• Visited June 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Pasta Bolognese is outrageous!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

As usual, the food is top notch at this bistro in Doylestown.
My favorite Shrimp Harissa as a appetizer followed by the pasta bolognese was incredible. My wife had the Chicken Palliard and a Cheese plate, which she enjoyed thoroughly. Our kids had the scallops and Steak Frites.

All in all, the food was superb as usual.

• Visited July 2012