“Adequate at best” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Clinton
Transit: The Freight House is conveniently located directly at the SEPTA R5 Doylestown train station. SEPTA, TransBridge & Doylestown Dart buses also stop at the end of the SEPTA parking lots.
Doylestown, Pennsylvania
“Adequate at best”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

My spouse and I recently had dinner there. In short it was adequate at best. On the upside, the hostess and service both were quite attentive. On the downside the food was uninspired and needed work. We started with an order of calamari that was quite rubbery with an overabundance of grease. I had the 8oz filet that while cooked to order was served at room temperature. Frankly Wegman's has beef that is more tender. The potatoes were stiff and lukewarm. The asparagus was however quite good. My spouse had the wedge salad and described it as "ok" with far too many onions. This is probably our 3rd visit in the last four months and it is consistently average. It will probably be our last for a while.

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Harleysville, PA
“Sizzle but no steak”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

We recently took an out of town guest here for dinner. It was our first visit to the Freight House, and I had high hopes after reading about the restaurant on line (I'm a steak lover). Upon entering, we were impressed with the modernistic atmosphere. Our initial drinks were potent and well made. The menu was intriguing, too, with many interesting choices. We were not surprised by the prices. What did surprise me was that what was described as a Kansas City steak on the menu turned out to be more of a thin shell steak. My first impression was that it looked like what you might get at a Golden Corral for about $10. It was clearly not a sirloin (as I'd expected), but a rib eye. My fault for not asking - but I assumed that a Kansas City steak would be strip sirloin (the menu did not provide this detail). The steak was fatty - consistent with rib eye - and the flavor unexceptional. Our out of town friend also ordered the Kansas City steak and was disappointed, too. On the plus side, two sushi appetizers (one a salad, one a sushi plate) were fresh and well made. My husband also enjoyed his salmon entree. Still, my understandng is that the Freight House prides itself on being a steak restaurant. If that's the case, then they have work to do, especially at these prices. Service was decent, if a bit bored, with a "can you please finish so I can go home" vibe. I can't say that we would hurry back, or recommend unless you mainly want to drink and maybe have some appetizers or a burger.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New Hope, Pennsylvania
“Great food with a fun vibe”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I dine here whenever we get a chance at a dste night. That being said, it also has a great bar for a girl's nite out. Food is consistantly good.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Philadelphia PA
“Intriguing decor, very good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Walking through the door you know right away this is no ordinary restaurant. Sleek, modern, upscale with a very high ceiling (as befits a freight house). Long, attractive bar. Comfortable seating and a noise level that's fine for conversation. On a recent dinner outing, I was with a party of six. We were seated promptly and our service throughout the meal was excellent. We had a variety of drinks to start -- my martini was nicely made and served. I had a wedge salad, very tasty and not too huge, followed by a lobster tail stuffed with crab meat. It was perfectly prepared and came with fresh asparagus and mashed potatoes. The menu is not extensive, but the offerings are an appealing mix of meat and seafood. This was my first visit. I won't hesitate to come back.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Hatboro, PA
“Poor grade for The Freight House.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

I was very disappointed with this restaurant overall. Specifically, our server was curt and borderline rude. I asked for a Sam Adams and he said, 'clearly, you didn't read the beer menu' and walked away. He did not return until my friend called over another waiter. My friend told him about his poor behavior and although he apologized, he gave the excuse that they were 'short staffed'. My problem? Don't think so.
The cost is exorbitant and in no way justifies the quality of food. I had filet mignon. The diameter was about 3" and cost $30--oh, they threw on a spoonful of mashed potatoes and some raw carrots. Big deal. No salad or soup.
Our waiter hardly stopped back to check on us.
Never again. Make the drive to Lahaska and go to The Porterhouse--it's a thousand times better.

• Visited September 2013