“Creative Food, Fun Atmosphere, and Good Price” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 125 Restaurants in Doylestown
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Philadelphia
“Creative Food, Fun Atmosphere, and Good Price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2008

My boyfriend and I decided to try Honey on a recommendation from a co-worker. We called at 6:15 on a Friday night and were able to get a reservation for 8:30. It was a beautiful night and we were seated outside on the sidewalk. The ambiance was beautiful- classy, yet relaxed. There were cute bumble bee tea lights in the trees which separated Honey from the neighboring restaurant. The server was very educated on the menu and restaurant. I was impressed with her knowledge. The beers are all local brews. We ordered 5 things from the menu. Each one was better than the next. My boyfriend and I cannot agree on which one was the best. We ordered: Spinach Dip (creamy and delicious), Sweet Potato Fries (so crispy, prob the best I've had), Ribs (falling off the bone), Greek Pizza (unique and vegetarian), and the wasabi shrimp martini (my boyfriend loved it, but it was a little too spicy for me). We were more than satisfied (no add'l steak was needed). The food bill came to 44 dollars. All and all, a steal! Can't wait to return.

Doylestown
“horrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2008

We could not get passed how rude the hostess was and were blown away when we found out she owned the restaurant.

You have better luck in Atlantic City with your money

simply horrible

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Just ate here on May 24...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2008

Just ate here on May 24, 2008. Tough to get a decent reservation less than 2 weeks in advance, but it was worth it. The food was unique and fantastic. The wine list is limited, however, and the pinot noir available by the glass was thin, and unexciting.
It's tapas style, so you'll order a few things. I had Duck Confit Benedict, Goat Cheese rissoto cakes, and diver scallops with purple rice. Everything was very good. The restaurant atmosphere is quiet and dark, perfect for the cuisine. I highly recommend seeing an indi film at the County Theater and then heading over to Honey for dinner (or you can reverse the order).

Doylestown, PA
“Never in my LIFE!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2008

My husband and I tried this relatively new restaurant in Doylestown with our 2 college age daughters last week. We actually called to make reservations at the restaurant which was in its spot before but were informed of the change. We were a little tentative at first about the menu because we are not used to needing to order 3 or more items to fill us up but we were up for an adventure that evening and decided to give it a whirl. Our waiter immediately put us at ease, informing us that he would be our guide through our culinary adventure (I think that's actually what he said). He brought only 2 or so dishes at a time so we were never completely overwhelmed. My husband, usually a "meat and potatoes" guy actually found a few items to suit him. He couldn't get over the idea of ice cream with the ribs but ate all four ribs and the ice cream before the waiter had walked away. We tried the diver scallops and the mushroom salad at the waiter's recommendation. Both were presented beautifully and are worth going back for. The amiable (and strikingly beautiful) manager (presumably the owner) was walking around with a water pitcher making sure everyone was happy and helping out her wait staff wherever possible. I also got the idea that the staff were all friends as they were all serving eachother's tables. Their desserts were extremely creative as were the items on the dinner menu. What a Gem! Never in my life have tried food which was prepared as beautifully and skillfully as this. I will be returning as much as possible.

Doylestown
“Read the menu carefully!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2008

We went to Honey last night after getting shutdown on reservations 3 times before. if your planning on going to this place on a Friday or Saturday, you'd better plan ahead. Oh - and be prepared to give them a credit card so you can be assessed a $50 penalty if you don't cancel by 4 pm that day. What ever happened to service business? Not that you'd think they wouldn't have a cover - the routinely turn away walk in's all evening.

The wait staff was friendly and well informed. The portions are fairly small, so you really have to order several. I was impressed that the waiter "staged" our order of 6 items so that we pretty much had new food on the table at all times once it started coming.

The menu is good, the descriptions are impressive and read like a Top Chef contestants list. High end preparation, no doubt, but you really have to read carefully. For instance, we ordered the 'Braised Short Rib with Savory chocolate sauce and mashed potatoes with spring onion crisps". It was, I believe, around $22. The emphasis is on short RIB - as in singular. One rib, no bone. It was braised well, was tender, but it essentially cut into 4 small bites. The value here is lost when you consider what you just paid for this. It was average at best, the spring onions were crispy all right - until you got past the exterior, then they were like chewing rubber bands. The mashed potatoes were simply o.k. at best, and the chocolate sauce was for the most part, tasteless.

We also tried the Bay Scallop "Risotto" - and the quotations, which are on the menu, are there for a reason, since this is not a real risotto at all, but some very overcooked small pasta and diced vegetables with some overcooked scallops in a thin veal broth. It's more like a thin stew than a risotto. It had almost no taste to it at all after you got past the first whiff of garlic. If you like a good risotto, steer clear - its not, and it was disappointing. I can hear Tom Collichio on Top Chef admonishing the chef now... None of the rich starchy flavor, the perfect consistency of well cooked arborio rice with a liitle bite resitance to it.

Unfortunately, this course also came with the daily soup of the moment, which sounded appetizing: Beer and Cheddar Bisque with bacon and green onions. It came with a nice presentation, but was VERY VERY salty, so it pretty much overwhelmed anything else on the table - even the wine. Given the relative simplicity of the ingredients in this soup, this was a strikeout.

We also ordered the bacon wrapped lamb, and while this was excellent, the 2 skewers that came were very small (think 1/2 stalk of celery sized). The lamb was very well done, and paired well with the black truffle scented aioli dipping sauce. Again - about 4 bites each.

We had the 5 spiced sweet potato fries, and they were excellent - crispy, nicely seasoned, and the 2 dipping sauces, the ginger soy reduction and the maple carrot reduction were a nice compliment. Well worth the $5!

Lastly, we had the Miso Scottish Salmon on a bed of mango, lobster and cauliflower rice. ($33) The salmon, portioned again smallish (maybe 4oz fillet) was quite well cooked, slightly rare in the middle, but the exterior of the salmon was disappointingly salty from the miso. I'd suggest the chef use a different type of miso paste than he currently is, because it completely overwhelmed the salmon, and it made the base lobster & mango rice taste contrastingly bland. There really needed to be a better migration of tastes between the two to get them to meld together.

Overall, the food was simply okay, presented quite well, but not memorable, and the $135 bill was, on hindsight, not what we figured the food was worth. So it was a nice place to go to - probably one time, unless I feel like ponying up my credit card number again to get a $5 order of fries.