“Boring” 1 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Washington Crossing
“Boring”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014 via mobile

Unoriginal and tasteless. Even the dishes that should have been safe were, unfortunately, horribly prepared.

• Visited June 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Silver Spring, Maryland
“Nice all the way around”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

We stopped in Doylestown to go to the Mercer Museum, but first went to lunch/brunch at Maxwell's on Main. It was a rainy, dismal day so getting inside for a nice meal was lovely. It was a Sunday late morning and not crowded. There were four of us, and two had brunch food and two had lunch. It was nice that we had that option! We all enjoyed our meals. The service was good though not speedy and prices were reasonable. Portions were a good size, not too small or too large. Staff was very friendly. We would definitely go back.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Pennsylvania
“A Exceptional Culinary Transformation - from Main Street to Bourbon Street right in downtown Doylestown!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

I have had a number of friends recommend M.O.M.’S, a.k.a. Maxwell’s On Main, to me several times but have not had the opportunity until recently to see what all the fuss was about. So, in town at lunchtime presented me with the perfect opportunity to uncover the hidden delights awaiting me at Maxwell’s.

The original restaurant, which occupied this historic building for over three decades, was called Maxwell’s. It is on Main Street smack dab in the middle of Doylestown about a block from the Bucks County Courthouse. The locals call it M.O.M.’s and the sign on the outside of the establishment cunningly embraces both identities, thus M.O.M.’s Maxwell’s On Main.

The only thing that really matters is that the owners, Brian and Nathan Hugill, along with their Executive Chef, Robert Marchesano, have added a very unique, one-of-a-kind and ever increasingly popular restaurant to the Doylestown dining scene.

As you enter the restaurant, you are greeted by these seductive smells emanating from the kitchen. They say that you first eat with your eyes but I disagree. Your nose is your first clue that that something delectable awaits. The ambiance is warm and inviting highlighted by rich polished wood and a historically charming décor. I was cordially greeted and seated promptly.

The best way to describe the lunch menu is eclectic. You get that comfort American fare but “kicked up a notch” with a Southern twist. You don’t find that combination in too many places in Doylestown. So, I am seeing the likes of Fried Green Tomatoes, Gumbo with Andouille Sausage, Roast Beef Po’boy, and the Big Easy Burger with Cajun spices. But, I am also seeing Matzo Ball soup, a Rueben Corned Beef sandwich with Swiss cheese, sauerkraut, on rye topped with thousand island dressing, and an Ahi Tuna Burger with sprouts and an avocado wasabi spread. What I am finding here is the best of M.O.M.’s two worlds. One other thing to note – just about every menu selection has some subtle nuance that takes the ordinary and adds that illusive special something that creates a more unique offering tantalizing the taste buds in the process.

My luncheon visit was right in the middle of holiday season. This is a time when your normal food consumption is thrown out the window and any semblance of a ‘normal diet’ is buried somewhere in the deep recesses of your mind. So my plan going into Maxwell’s was to have a ‘light’ lunch and try to balance the scale a bit which seemed to be headed in the wrong direction. So, I bit my tongue and quietly cursed all of my medical practioners peering over my shoulder and ordered light - skip the appetizer, skip the fries, do the diet drink, and don’t even think about dessert.

I ordered the Thanksgiving Day sandwich. On Thanksgiving, the dinner to me is OK but, what I really crave is the leftover sandwiches. So my Thanksgiving Day sandwich consisting of fresh carved turkey, cranberry sauce, mayo, stuffing, gravy on multi-grain bread jumped off the page and screamed out to me. I did request one change and my waitress gladly accommodated by replacing the multi-grain bread with a fresh baked baguette. Instead of the sweet potato fries, I opted for mixed greens lightly dressed with a delicious raspberry vinaigrette. The sandwich was exceptional. I would come back to M.O.M.’s just for this sandwich alone. The ingredients were fresh and tasty, the sandwich was perfectly balanced creating that harmonious blend of ingredients where all components complement each other delivering a single sumptuous note of dining delight. Bye the way, the sandwich was ample enough in its size that half of it went home with me to be enjoyed yet again.

Knowing that I was going to review Maxwell’s, I called over my waitress with a few simple requests. A quick side note - the service here was exceptionally good. My waitress was friendly, accommodating, efficient, attentive but not overbearing – you could tell that she was well trained and her primary function was to please the customer (A+ in my book). I digressed - back to my requests. Remember those fries I skipped? I also was staring down the Crab Bisque with chive oil as an appetizer. Well, I explained by ‘lighter fare’ decisions and the reasoning behind them and asked her, since it was my first time here, if it were possible to get a small taste of the soup and a small sampling of the fries. She didn’t blink an eye and within two minutes appeared at my table with a full bowl of the Crab Bisque and a full order of the Sweet Potato fries. I was a little taken aback but she said eat what you want – those are two very good choices. Well was she ever right. The Crab Bisque was full of fresh crab meat and it was absolutely superb to the point that I couldn’t stop eating it and finished the whole bowl. The sweet potato fries were fresh cut, fried to perfection and served with a maple mayo dipping sauce that was out of this world. Remember where I mentioned that each menu item had that little unique something that transformed the ordinary into something special. In the crab soup, it was the chive oil and with the sweet potato fries, it was the maple mayo. Both dishes were elevated with a simple yet harmonious ingredient. Bravo to the chef!

As I got up to leave, I noticed a party of three (one male & two females) that were seated right behind me who had just finished their meals. There was ‘nothing’ on their plates except a few scattered crumb remnants. Not being shy, I said to them “Gosh, I guess you folks really hated your meals.” They chuckled and said the food was exceptional. Not surprisingly, I asked them what they had to eat. The young man proudly announced he had the Ruben sandwich which he said was great and the sweet potato fries that had this marvelous dipping sauce. He wasn’t sure what it was but claimed it was lip smacking good (I was happy to share with him that it was maple mayo). The one young lady told me that she was eating light and had ordered the Smoked Portobello Wrap with roasted peppers, grilled asparagus, arugula, and a balsamic vinaigrette and declared it to be a ‘winner’ that was absolutely delicious. The other young lady had ordered the Arugula Salad with poached pear, toasted almonds, feta, and served with a pear vinaigrette. She offered up that the salad was refreshing, light, and delectable. All were happy – straight A’s across the board. Not to be overly intrusive, between my private little tasting party and fellow diner interviews, I completed my impromptu homework phase of my visit to Maxwell’s.

I will be coming back here for dinner. I have already narrowed down my entrée choice to either the New Orleans inspired Jambalaya with Jumbo Shrimp or the time-honored Bayou based Crawfish Etouffée. M.O.M.’s Maxwell’s On Main can be a pub, a bistro, or an upscale fine dining restaurant – it is what you make it. They are Craft Beer brewers with about eight on tap and a total of close to eighty different beers on the menu. They have one of the only rooftop patio bars in Doylestown, a private dining room for special events, music featuring their own house band (The Cover Ups), a Sunday Brunch and special events (check their webpage for the latest lineup). They describe themselves as a ‘Craft’ restaurant featuring down home comfort food with a unique southern twist and so they are and they excel at it.

Needless to say, my friends pointed me in the right direction and, based upon my one visit and the seemingly unilateral praise I have heard from so many, I can highly recommend M.O.M.’s Maxwell’s On Main. Step into this establishment and you are transported from Main street to Bourbon street right in downtown Doylestown – who knew!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
PA
“Food is ok, bar rip off”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

We are locals and have been to MOMs several times for a casual dinner or lunch and the food has always been good, if not memorable. However, the last time we were there we were with friends of ours and we all had drinks. My friend ordered two glasses of wine and asked for "pinot noir" which she gets at every restaurant we go to. When the bill came we saw that her two glasses of wine were $14 each for a whopping $28. She did not want to call attention to it, but I asked the waitress why they were so expensive and she said that it was the only kind of pinot noir that they serve and that's how much it was. I told her that it would have been only right to warn us that the wine was double the price of a regular glass of wine and my friend would have ordered something else and her only response was there was nothing she could do about it. We were not happy, but we left a decent tip for our waitress and left. My husband wrote a letter to the restaurant several weeks ago, but never got a response and for that reason we will not go back. . Every other restaurant in Doylestown can serve a $7 glass of pinot noir except this one? And they can't take the moment it takes to tell you it will be that much? Who goes to MOMs to spend $14 on a glass of wine! Not me! The restaurant does not really care how they get their money or whether the customer is satisfied or not, so I do not feel the need to go there any more.

Visited November 2013
“Good lunch choice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

Easy walk from the Michener Museum. Sat in a booth in the front of the restaurant. Several local families with well-behaved children sat in the same section, so MOM's is definitely kid friendly. Good choice of reasonably priced appetizers, soups, salads, and entrees. I had the Reuben: corned beef, swiss, and kraut served on 2 very thick slices of rye bread (homemade?). It was delicious. My sister had a hamburger which was cooked exactly as ordered and her comment, "This is one of the best I've had in years." Beer selection was impressive although we didn't order any. Service was average. If I lived locally, I would definitely return for dinner and their evening entertainment upstairs.

• 5 of 5 stars Food