“Gracious B & B in the heart of historic Doylestown” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hargrave House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Doylestown
Hargrave House
You added Hargrave House to your Saves list
50 South Main Street, PO Box 1115, Doylestown, PA 18901   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Doylestown B&B and Inns
chatham, nj
“Gracious B & B in the heart of historic Doylestown”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

When we decided to meet our friends from Philadelphia for a weekend in Doylestown, we wanted to be within walking distance of the Mercer Museum and the James Michener Museum. So the Hargrave House certainly fit the bill. The original part of the building is from the early 1800s, where we enjoyed a delicious customed-ordered breakfast in a homey room with wide-planked floors and a lovely fireplace. Our bedrooms were in the new part of the building which was newly renovated. They had all the amenities one could want, including complimentary snacks, HDTV and a jacuzzi, of all things. Another feature we enjoyed was the little patio on the side of the building with lots of cheerful flowers. Lorna, the innkeeper, was the perfect hostess and provided helpful information to enhance our stay in town.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Teaneck, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

The Hargrave House seemed an excellent choice as we were attending the Burpee's seed company's (10 minutes away from downtown Doylestown) agriculture open house.
It is centrally located. All boutiques in this historic town were within walking distance as well as the over 50 restaurants. Needless to say, Lorna made our stay more than what we had expected , her charm and attention to details made our stay, albeit brief, memorable.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Newtown, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

I used tripadvisor to help plan our 10th anniversary. The Hargrave House looked like a perfect spot to spend the night. We had the whole upstairs to our selves this night in the Doylestown Suite. The innkeeper Lorna was fabulous our entire stay. Although we live in the area, she provided an experience that made us appreciate the history in this area. Lorna was gracious the minute we arrived, giving us turn down service and a tour of the property.

The Doylestown Suite was a great room. It had everything for a romantic stay including a fireplace, jacizzi, incredibly comfortable bed, Vizio HD TV and a mini bar that included snacks, fridge, water bottles and K-Cups. I know they have internet access, but we didn’t need it. The entire suite was clean and cozy with lots of room.

The breakfast was made to order and delicious in the historic dining room. There was plenty of orange juice, coffee, fresh fruit with vanilla yogurt and whole grain breads when waiting for our order. We gave high compliments to the chef for the omelet and poached eggs. Again, Lorna provided great service and conversation at breakfast.

The Hargrave House is in a perfect location. Everything in town is within walking distance. We’ve been to several nice restaurants in Doylestown, but the best for this occasion was Honey. It’s a truly unique experience that is a must to try at least once. We may make Hargrave House an annual anniversary stop. It was that good. Thanks for the memorable evening.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

Lived in Eyrope for 6 years while in the Air Force. Hargrave House returned me to those wonderful times at European inns. Lorna could not possibly be more accommodating, social, or endearing as a host. Decor was a delight, breakfasts a special time. Poached eggs "perfectly shaped and soft yoke, oh my ! Do not miss a chance to enjoy this Inn. PJ Lambis

• Stayed January 2012
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2011

The Philadelphia area is often neglected as a tourist destination as it is somewhat dwarfed by its Northeast neighbors of New York City and Washington. But the city itself is worth a lengthy visit (Just watch out for where in town you go, especially at night) and the suburbs can be terrific. Among the suburbs, the Main Line ( Bryn Mawr, Villanova etc.) and Bucks County are probably the best. Most folks looking for a cool inn in Bucks County head for New Hope and over on the Jersey side to New Hope's sister city, Lambertville, and many people prefer an inn in the country-side. But, if, like me, you find New Hope (Or as we like to say, "No Hope") to be a little too contrived, touristy and precious and you enjoy staying in a fine old Pennsylvania town you will pleased to find the old historical city of Doylestown and the splendid bed and breakfast inn, "The Old Hargrave House". The rooms are large and elegant and feature jacuzzis, fireplaces, huge TVs, Wi-Fi and an in-room Keurig coffee-maker that should come with a hundred page instructional manual.
The place is clean and the public areas are filled with historical memorabilia, befitting a house that dates back to 1813. The innkeepers are bright and gracious people who will really do whatever they can to personalize your stay. Most of the rooms (Suites really) overlook the Doylestown Historical Society Park. A room upstairs can be converted into a small conference area. The town itself is alive with restaurants, bookstores, shops and a fine old movie theater showing artsy films. The country club is a five minute walk and hiking and biking (Peace Valley State Park and other nature trails) are an easy drive. The Inn is in the heart of Doylestown.
Slight quibbles: The only public space is a small sitting room/office. I always like an inn to have a nice living room, preferably with a small carafe of wine in the cupboard. Plus, a living room would add to the historical theme and gracious tone if furnished correctly. Speaking of furnishings, the brochure shows a couple of suites that are furnished in a nice quasi-historical style in keeping with the theme of the Inn. But my room was just too modern for that kind of place. The front of the Hargrave House is great, but the siding along the side looks more like 2003 than 1813. Parking is on-site, which is nice, but your GPS or MapQuest will take you to the front entrance and as for the parking area, "you can't get there from here". Essentially, you have to drive around the block to find the parking lot, which in narrow-streeted, "one-way" Doylestown is not as easy as it sounds.There should be some kind of directions to the parking area posted at the front door or given when you reserve your room. The breakfast is fine (We had a choice of bacon and eggs or french toast), but maybe at $195 a night, fresh orange juice instead of good old Tropicana would have been a nice touch. As I said, though, these are small quibbles and fine innkeepers in a great location.

Room Tip: Courtyard view.Traditional furnishing.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Aventura, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2011

This was my first trip to Doylestown & I found that the majority of the hotels available were B & B's. This intimidated me a bit as I'm a self-admitted hotel snob staying exclusively in 4 & 5-star properties. Not only was I pleasantly surprised by the charm, cleanliness, comfort & service I received, but I elected to extend my stay at this property instead of a hotel near PHL airport when a snowstorm cancelled all flights back to South Florida.

Not having a car, I expected to be cabbing it around the city. I soon came to learn that they don't really have cabs in Doylestown. Fortunately, the Innkeeper (Lorna) was nice enough to transport me in her car including offering to pick me up following offsite meetings. She even provided me some hair mousse when I realized I had forgotten my gel at home.

The complimentary cooked-to-order breakfasts were a delicious & a delightful way to start the day. Waiting for me each morning in the cozy dining area was a bowl of sliced strawberries, blueberries & other assorted fruits. I had my choice of toasted breads (including english muffins - my choice) to complement my perfectly scrambled eggs, sausage links & bacon. Top it off with some OJ & water & I was treated with a breakfast I wish I could receive every day.

I stayed in the Doylestown Suite which was quite spacious including a standing shower in the bathroom & an oversized jacuzzi tub in the bedroom. Nice touches were a fireplace that could be switched on/off & a desk for working or planning your day. The bed was quite comfortable as well.

If your travels take you to Doylestown, I highly recommend the Hargrave House which is perfectly located on Main Street & surrounded by restaurants & bars. You won't be disappointed & I swear to this being a legitimate review from an extremely pleased first-time guest.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Verona, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2010

My husband and I enjoyed a Friday and Saturday Night Stay at the Old Hargrave during the first weekend in November. Our stay was excellent from start to finish. Lorna made us feel right at home. She was very hospitable and answered all of our questions as it was our first time in Doylestown. I did some research and planned a weekend away and was able to take advantage of what the area has to offer. We were centrally located to everything which allowed us to walk through town on First Friday and walk to local restaurants. The room was newly renovated, spacious, and clean. I would definitely stay there again.

Chanelle from NJ

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Hargrave House? Share your experiences!