“Idiotic Housekeeping Rule w/No Disclosure” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Delmont
DC
“Idiotic Housekeeping Rule w/No Disclosure”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2011

We just stayed there for three nights. The hotel itself was fine. My complaint is that the manager of this hotel has instituted a rule (which you are not told about ahead of time) that the housekeeping staff may not touch your stuff. So if you leave a pair of jeans on the bed, or an empty piece of luggage, anything -- they will not make your bed. The housekeeper left a nice note explaining this rule, but it's a pretty stupid rule. I guess someone must have complained that something was taken at some point, but come on Ms. Manager -- if you have staff that want to steal things, they will steal things. Having this rule does nothing but frustrate and insult your customers. This does not extend just to beds, but to empty cups and other things -- everything you want taken out must be put in the trash, because they are told not to "touch your stuff." I've stayed in a lot of hotels in a lot of cities, from Motel 6 to Four Seasons, and I have never, ever heard of a hotel manager putting in place such a silly rule. You leave a pair of jeans on the bed, and they won't make the bed? You won't take out an empty coffee cup or a an empty cupcake box unless it is put in the trash? What am I paying for housekeeping services for? And I repeat, this is not my imagination -- two of the three nights, the housekeeper left a handwritten note explaining the rule. Just dumb and insulting.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Manalapan, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

Stayed in Delmont/Murraysville because Monroeville equivalents were sold out. A bit pricey. Good location, check in was swift and front desk was very good. the surprise came the next morning was that my back was killing me!! The bed was pretty stiff and it took a day to get my back to calm down. Breakfast was great!! Would stay again if Monroeville hotels are sold out.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
York, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express on the recommendation of a friend who lives close by. My two kids (ages 2 and 4) and I drove out and stopped at the hotel. We didn't have a reservation, but since it wasn't in a huge city, I didn't think there would be a problem. After four hours in the car, we were all ready to relax before meeting up with our friends. Imagine my surprise when, upon arriving, we learned the hotel was full due to a wedding party staying there! I wasn't quite sure what we were going to do, but the woman at the desk said she'd check to see if there had been any cancellations. She managed to find one room for us, and she called to see if it had been cleaned yet.

The room was not completely ready, but hotel staff worked so hard to get it cleaned and ready for us. I was so thankful, and everyone was so nice! We waited in the lobby for no more than 20 minutes until we could get into our room. The room was beyond my expectations. I had never stayed at a Holiday Inn Express before, and I figured it would just be a basic room. Instead, the room was very nice...we had two double beds, plenty of room for a pack and play (for my son), and a HUGE bathroom. Everything was sparkling clean.

I would not hesitate to stay here again, if only for the staff. The cleaning staff and front desk staff always had a smile and said hello when they saw us, and we felt very welcome even though I know we put them out by showing up unannounced during a very busy weekend. I cannot say enough good things about this hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Midwest
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

This hotel is not quite as new as some of the other HI Express properties; it's about ten years old. The property itself is nice.

I stayed for three days and the rooms are generally very nice. I did notice the A/C unit was very dusty and could have used a solid cleaning.

I would have rated this four stars, but one star comes off for the housekeeping staff. One, they forgot to clean my room on one of the three days. And two....they were the loudest, most unprofessional staff I've ever seen in a hotel, not just on one of the days I was there, but on ALL of them.

The cleaning staff must have been under the assumption that every guest had left the property at the time of cleaning services, because radios were blared as loud as possible, inappropriate personal conversations filled the air (no, as a guest I really didn't need to know about your boyfriend's trouble with the law) and they couldn't just speak to each other to communicate, they had to SCREAM. The property should perhaps aim a little higher when hiring housekeeping staff.

NOTE: This property is usually priced at least 20% higher than most other HIExpress properties in the general region. That's because it's the only full hotel in the Delmont/Murrysville area.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Erie, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2011

Dealing with this Holiday Inn Express was a pleasure from beginning to end. I spoke to someone on the phone to let them know I would be a late arrival, and also interacted with several different individuals at the front desk. Each one provided excellent customer service. And the room was clean! It smelled good, and the A/C was on when I walked in so I could get cool right away. I was in the first room next to the side exit on the first floor and was a bit concerned that it would be noisy, but it was not at all. I am not a fan of staying in motels...seems there is always a problem.....dirty bathroom, hair in the bed (ugh!), rude employees, noisy patrons, broken ice maker, etc. This was, hands down, the best experience I've had in a long time. Going to be at another Holiday Inn Express in another area in a couple of weeks, and I'm hoping they will live up to Delmont.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Kutztown, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2011

Arrived at hotel a little after 7:00 p.m. and desk clerk had paperwork ready for me when I walked in, so checkin took all of two minutes. He had also made a fresh pot of coffee, which was perfect after a long day. Room was clean and comfortable, so no complaints there. Up early the following day and enjoyed the good breakfast. Lots of choices. Only complaint for the entire stay was no cinnamon rolls at breakfast. If you have ever been to a Holiday Inn Express, that's the BEST part of breakfast...wasn't the same without them.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Centralpa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2010

We were in New Alexandria for a long weekend of Drag Racing. Last year spent one night at this Holiday and really enjoyed it but couldn't get the reservation for the whole weekend. Made it for the whole time this year.

Pros: Very friendly, accommodating staff, clean, great breakfast, easy location, excellent restaurant in front of it (Lamplighter..EXCELLENT), Stop & Go (mini mart..gas, diesel, ice, you name it) adjourns the parking lot), nice rooms.

Only con: made coffee Thursday morning in the coffee maker, maid never cleaned it till I requested it be cleaned on Sat. morning! Maybe she just "forgot"?Just one of those little things that you wonder!!??

But good beds, lots of pillows, towels, good bathroom, hot water, great breakfast (continental but great variety)! All around great place to stay!!!!!!!!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn Express Murrysville/Delmont? Share your experiences!