“No ones home...” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Pocono Inn At Water Gap

You added Pocono Inn At Water Gap to your Saves list
Pocono Inn At Water Gap
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   101 Broad Street, I-80 Exit 310, Delaware Water Gap, PA 18327   |
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“No ones home...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

The parking lot is so dark it looks like no one is in it. Out dated. Tub drips.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Charlotte, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

I checked in at this motel on July 21 2011 at about 230pm. I checked out of this motel the same day about 7 hours later. The hallways are not air conditioned. The air conditioner in the room only worked on low. It was 98 degrees outside. The bathroom was dirty. The carpet in the hallways and my room were dirty. Neither one of the ice machines worked. When I checked in the woman at the front desk told me that the ice machines had been broken for one week. This was supposed to be a non-smoking motel. The linens on the bed smelled of smoke and there were stains on the sheets. The sliding door to the balcony was so dirty you could not seen through it. Even though I did not sleep one night at this motel, the manager still charged me the full price of a one night stay.

Room Tip: do not stay at this motel.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
poconoinn, Manager at Pocono Inn At Water Gap, responded to this review, August 3, 2011
Dear lcgd: As you said, you stayed hotel for 7 hours. You requested refund and didn’t get it. You are not happy.

Although, I am sorry to hear, that your experience was not enjoyable, please allow me to explain my perspective, so you can understand my position.
I cannot honor your request to refund you, because that wouldn’t be fair to current and future customers. As, you know one of the positive qualities of our hotel is the inexpensive price we offer to every guest. If you were to compare the prices across the Delaware water gap with same quality, you would see the price to be one of the lowest. However, we are a business and we need to make money in order to operate. If we were to refund you, there are two options, lose money or compensate by increasing the price to other customers. Do you think it is fair to do so? Since you have stayed 7 hours, you have used up resources already, to give a FULL refund for those 7 hours of electricity use, towels, cleaning etc, is in my opinion unreasonable.

The other option as stated would be to increase the cost for other customers. Many hotels do give refunds to stop whoever’s complaints. To make up for it they increase the cost to other customers. Since we try to value the customer we have been able to prevent from doing so. As such we have been able to build a strong base of loyal and positive customers. If we gave you a refund to keep you from complain as some other hotels do, then we would end up losing all loyal and positive customers and attracting customers who intend to get FREE hotel. The cumulative effect would not only be a huge money loss, but also force us to raise the price for other customers. I apologize if you feel you are being made an example of, but we must be firm, and set principle here.

Travelers are raving about these Delaware Water Gap hotels

New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

Let me start by saying that the front desk staff both on the phone and upon check in were extremely pleasant, friendly, and accomodating, so I was expecting good things from our overnight stay.

At first glance, the motel appears to be "Homey" and comfortable-nothing fancy. Our room was clean enough ...after all, we weren't expecting the Ritz Carleton! However, there were issues. The sliding door to the balcony had no lock on it at all. The glass was not glass, but plexi-glass that was not fully installed; it was popping out of the frame. As my child was already asleep when this was discovered, I secured the "charley bar" in the door and put the table & chairs in front of the door. Otherwise I would've asked for another room.

In the middle of the night, the Air Conditioner died. It got hot and stuffy in the room. Between that and worrying about security, I didnt' sleep well at all. My daughter, however, said she slept very well and that the bed was comfortable.

When I checked out I mentioned these issues to a different woman at the front desk. She was VERY flippant about my concerns....to the issue w/the unlockable sliding door, she said, "well, the room IS on the second floor. It's really NOT an issue".
She never acknowledged the problem with the air conditioner, didn't apologize for anything, never said she'd speak to a manager about getting things fixed, etc etc etc. It appeared to me that she's heard these complaints before and knew that nothing would be done about them.

Lots of things arent' being taken care of...broken air conditioners, broken ice machines, peeling bathtub, and broken doors, for instance.

If I could, I'd give this place a rating of "poor +" or "below average", because it was somewhere in the middle between "poor' and "average", but I don't have that option so I have to go with "poor".

Overall, for one night, the place wasn't horrible. Just don't expect much and you won't be disapointed.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
poconoinn, Manager at Pocono Inn At Water Gap, responded to this review, July 27, 2011
Dear Road_trip_mama:
I am sorry that you didn't sleep well.
All was caused by your fear of safety. Delaware Water Gap is a very safe historical town. The hotel never had any safety issue in the past. The rooms have dead lock from inside, which we have demonstrated you how to use. For sliding doors to balcony there are bars that locks from inside, which we locked for you when you had fear. We really don’t know who could be able to get into your room unless he climbed up the wall and broke the glasses.

The front desk lady may feel a little annoy when you kept calling her every other two hours to express your fear. But, I will educate her. All in all, customer is our god.

AC has nothing wrong. When temperature reached to what you set, it will stop. That is all. I am glad that you set temperature correct that you daughter slept well. You have my sympathy. Sometime people just have fear in a new environment.
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

Contrary to some of the previous reviews I saw, I found the Pocono Inn to be a very comfortable stay. The facilities may not have been the newest, but everything was clean, the AC in our room was great, and the staff was very friendly. Our room had a balcony that allowed us to have a relaxing breakfast outside, and there were many different fun activities in the area. The Pocono Inn was calm and quiet, a perfect environment for the relaxing vacation we were looking for. I would recommend the Pocono Inn to anyone looking for a comfortable, affordable place to stay.

Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

I spent an absolutely wonderful weekend at the Pocono Inn. The room was spotless, AC was working in top condition, and the complimentary breakfast left nothing to be desired. I was even able to join in a line dancing lesson on Saturday evening, which made for a fun-filled night. The staff at the Pocono Inn was very professional and approachable. They were friendly and efficient when making me a new key after I had lost mine. The Inn itself was clean and quiet, great for a relaxing weekend, but located close to many activities for the more actively inclined. I rented a canoe from a rental place within walking distance of the inn that drove me over for an idyllic trip down the river and picked me up at the end. I also enjoyed a brisk hike in the nearby national park. There were so many other activities in the area that I was hard pressed to choose a few, but the manager of Pocono Inn was kind enough to take time out of his busy schedule to give me some suggestions and point me to informative brochures in the lobby. All in all, Pocono Inn makes for a fun, affordable, and comfortable stay. Thank you Pocono Inn for a wonderful weekend!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Princeton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2011

I was a bit skeptical about staying at this hotel due to the comments listed below, however I was pleasantly surpised. Upon arrival I thought the hotel looked much better on the inside than the outside, and the staff were courteous and friendly. I was a bit sad to learn my room was not on the first floor however upon explanation I learned that the hotel had a flood and the whole first floor was unavailable, which was udnerstandable.
I liked the continental breakfast, they had cereal bagels, muffins all quite good, and the bar was open on saturdays which was a ncie break.
I think for the price I payed it was an enjoyable expereince. I will definitely come back again

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Harrisburg, PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

I agree it is an older motel and the staff isfriendly. Great internet. I also found out because of the river and storms, it was flooded at least 3 times which is why none of the rooms on the first floor are open for use. I guess they just gave up. However, that doesn't explain the outside--the shrubs haven't been trimmed in quite a while and the entire area surrounding all the buildings is nothing but weeds. It's not a pretty picture. The free breakfast is bagels/muffins, juice, cereal and coffee--no fruit. Nothing for special diets. None of the ice or soft drink machines work. There are basically no extras. Definitely not worth the price.

Room Tip: Rooms are pretty clean
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
poconoinn, Manager at Pocono Inn At Water Gap, responded to this review, July 26, 2011
Dear Utoometoo: Thank you for choosing my hotel and you are welcome again.
Pocono Inn at Water Gap has contractor to handle the landscaping. It is done at regular base. Since it is in tourist region, local government is very careful about the appearance of any building. Pocono Inn at Water Gap is not the best in landscaping, but we satisfy the government code. The pictures you posted here are misleading. For instance, one of the pictures is the corner of our garbage dumpster. Only sanitary workers need to get there, guests never go to that corner. Another picture is not outside your room. If it was your room, you would take picture from your balcony, you would not walk 3 minutes (hotel building is quite large to go around) to take the picture from down stairs. Customer has no access to these areas. You have tried very hard.

Maybe posting pictures of our front and side door areas as well is a way to show you as a fair person?

Question is, why do you do like this? Did my staff offend you?

Been to Pocono Inn At Water Gap? Share your experiences!