“Great food, rather pricey, bizarre service...” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #14 of 40 Restaurants in Danville
Cuisines: Soups
Boalsburg, PA
“Great food, rather pricey, bizarre service...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2010

My wife and I had a surprise stay at Geisinger Medical Center with our three-week-old daughter, and after a long day in the hospital, we had nothing to eat. We decided that we wanted to eat subs, so I headed off to find some subs. Not knowing the area at all, I drove around in circles for twenty minutes looking for a Subway or some other chain sandwich shop, but finding no such place, I stumbled upon the Danville Sub Shop on one of the main streets.

My first reaction in looking at the menu was one of shock, as all of the subs were really expensive, mostly in the $8-$10 range for large subs (no $5 footlong here). But we were starving, and the food looked good, so I figured we'd take the plunge. I was immediately surprised by the gruff manner of the lady who took my order, who genuinely seemed irritated at me for wanting to eat their food. She seemed to get more irritated when I didn't want the sub "with everything" and even more irritated when I wanted it to go.

So, after paying too much money for sandwiches and being treated like an annoyance, I figured that the subs had better be good. Thankfully, they were fabulous. The cheesesteak I had was humongous and scrumptious. The turkey sub that my wife had was humongous and scrumptious. The meat was plentiful, the flavor was great, and the sandwich rolls were fresh and delicious. I'm still not convinced that it was quite worth the expense, and I wish that I was treated better, but it turned out to be a fine option and met our needs. With few other comparable options in Danville, I wouldn't mind eating here again.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere