“Old reliable” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 6 hotels in Danville
Merrick, New York
“Old reliable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

We have stayed here at least once a year since 2000. We use this Red Roof as our crash pad when our family visits Knoebels amusement park each year. For the price and location this inn is one of the better choices for a budget motel in the area.

Over the last couple of years we noticed that the inn needed a revamping and were pleased to see that some of the rooms have been renovated though the remediation of the rooms could have been a bit more extensive. Our room had a partial insert over the old tile in the bathtub and some of the tiles were coming loose/buckling near the floor. Overall the bathroom detracted from the much updated room.

One suggestion to the staff, when checking in a party of more than two to a room, it would be a good idea to offer extra towels at check in since the rooms only come stocked with two sets towels as a standard. Otherwise, the staff is friendly, helpful and knowledgeable about the local area.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
i0010, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Danville, PA, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Thank you for your feedback and for staying at the Red Roof Inn in Danville. We value your return business and comments regarding your stay. We are pleased you noticed the renovations which were recently completed to our guest rooms. Your comments regarding the bathrooms have been noted as well as the need for our staff to insure we are providing enough towels for all guests in the room. I am glad to hear that our staff was friendly and helpful. Thank you again and we look forward to serving you in the future.

140 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Pittsburgh, PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

I'll cut to the chase first, and if you want to know about the gross sink, keep reading. I've stayed at this Red Roof Inn a number of times, with mixed results. On this most recent stay stay, the price was $85, presumably because they were taking advantage of a busy weekend in the area. I'd have no issue with that if the rooms were getting better instead of worse. For only $15 more than I paid, a friend stayed across the roadway at the Best Western Plus, which has far superior rooms and a decent breakfast (Red Roof has no breakfast). The Bottom line is that if you can stay in the Best Western Plus or Pine Barn Inn (nearby in downtown Danville) for an $25 or less additional to what Red Roof Inn is charging, I'd strongly suggest that if your budget allows. You'll be glad you did.

The woman who checked me in was painfully slow. One guest was checking in as I waited and two more arrived behind me, while another guest came back to the desk because her key didn't work -- the desk clerk explained that she had given her the wrong room (oops!). Also, the $1.50/day safe fee applied to your bill that you have to go and request be removed is an antiquated sham that should be outlawed and should be above places like Red Roof Inn, yet most of their properties seem to have it. On a positive side, the woman who was at the desk when I checked out couldn't have been more pleasant, and that's what I've experienced for the most part at this Inn,

While updated with new carpets, bathroom floors, bedspreads and flat screen televisions, the rooms here are old. The bathtub was in reasonably good condition, though a dark hair sat on the edge of the tub to greet me -- this was an obvious sign of how poorly the room was cleaned, even though at quick glance most of it looked clean enough. The carpet may have been vacuumed in the main walking area, but by one of the chairs and next to the bed nearest the window were a string and some items (see picture) that surely would have been sucked up if they bothered to vacuum there. I'm sure if I actually inspected the room for cleanliness that I wouldn't have been pleased, but considering I was there for a two night stay, I decided that I'd rather not know.

On the upside, the beds were comfortable and the wireless Internet had a strong signal and was easy to access.

Without question, the worst part of the room, and the biggest source of my displeasure with the hotel was the disgusting sink (see picture). Giant chips in it that corroded or rusted or something was absolutely gross. I realize that a sink isn't the most simple thing to replace, but when a sink gets looks like this, it means that it should have been replaced a long time ago. Sorry Red Roof, but your standards have fallen below mine. Rather than replying to Rather than spending time writing the "your feedback is important to us" apologetic rhetoric replying to reviews on here, the GM's time would be better spent doing some room inspections checking up on housekeeping and what improvements are needed.

Room Tip: The back side of the hotel is quieter in terms of road noise.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
i0010, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Danville, PA, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Thank you for staying at the Red Roof Inn in Danville. I am sorry you were displeased with the sink in your room. This sink is scheduled for replacement. I also apologize for the efficiency of the staff person who checked you in and that the housekeeping in your room was not up to par. Your feedback is very important to us. I am glad to hear you found our beds to be comfortable, and our internet strong and easily accesible. I hope you will provide us with the opportunity to better serve you again in the future.
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

I needed to ship some items and went to ask the front desk where the post office was.
I left the front desk with my items packed and ready to mail out, directions to not only the post office but a much needed car wash and a fabulous place to eat in town. Amy and John, Thank you for the extra over the top service with a smile!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
i0010, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Danville, PA, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Thank you for staying at the Red Roof Inn in Danville and for your positive comments. It was truly our pleasure to serve you. We look forward to serving you again.
Nanticoke, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

My fiance & I had a very quite relaxing weekend at the Red Roof in Danville. Pa. The staff was very friendly, room was super clean! The BEST part,,, PET FRIENDLY!!! We take our fur baby with us every where we go & he enjoys traveling with us. PETS are FAMILY too! A few hotels charge for a pet on a daily basis which we dont agree because like Red Roof and a few others dont they say there Pet Friendly then if so why charge??? Anyways Red Roof is now our Hotel of choice. A home away from home.Beds are comfy & if you need anything just call the front desk & they"ll do everything they can to make your stay perfect! We will be back & it's people & pet approved!!!!!! :)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
i0010, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Danville, PA, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Thank you for your positive comments and for staying at the Red Roof Inn in Danville. Your feedback is important to us. I am glad to hear you found our staff to be friendly, and that you were pleased with the cleanliness of your room. We are happy you enjoyed bringing your pet with you during your stay with us. Your comments are an inspiration to our entire team. We look forward to serving you again in the future.
Rumney, NH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

We really didn't spend too much time in the hotel, but it was very clean and nice for the price. Rooms appeared to have been redone recently and the internet was strong. Close to the highway and about 5 mins to Geisinger. We did look at staying at the hotel near Geisinger, but the price was double what it was here and I doubt it was any better.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for choosing Red Roof Inn. I am very happy to hear you were pleased with the cleanliness of your room, and the speed of our free Wi-Fi. I am also glad you found us to be a good value for the price. Your feedback is very important to us. Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to serving you in the future.
morganville NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Hot day and the A/C did not work particularly well. This was a same-day reservation due to some travel plan changes so we sort of took what we could get. Thought maybe by leaving it on full blast while we went to eat it would be better but not really. Luckily we were really tired so slept in the warmth. Thanks for the recommendation to avoid the Friendlys next door but instead go to the Dutch Kitchen which was nice. Despite being hot there were some people sitting outside their rooms and one guy barbecueing in the bed of his truck out back - perhaps these are long-term residents. I see the price for October is 20 dollars more than June so maybe they fixed the AC or put in the rest of the renovations or maybe they think we are all going to Danville to look at leaves?

Room Tip: Test the A/C before you start bringing stuff in. Also avoid rooms next to creepy long-term residents...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
i0010, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Danville, PA, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Thank you for you comments regarding your recent stay. I am sorry that the air conditioning in your room could have been better. Your feedback will enable us to better serve our guests in the future. Thank you for choosing the Red Roof Inn in Danville.
Johnson City, Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Small bathroom, few amenities - no coffee maker in room although lobby is a hike away, ice machine also outside lobby (and a hike), Towels were few in number and old in age, having seen lots of naked guests (what stories those towels could tell). We requested extra towels (and gave the maid $5 for them). When we came back eight hours later, we had extra towels, but we also had unmade beds, trash on the floor, a trash can which had not been emptied and an uncleaned bath.
When we reported the deficiencies, We were given a $15 discount on our $411 charges for four nights.

Room Tip: No restaurant and the Friendly's next door was mediocre. Fitness center was the parking lot to...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for choosing the Red Roof Inn in Danville. We appreciate your comments. I am sorry we could have provided better housekeeping service during your stay. Your feedback will enable us to serve you better in the future. Thank you again.

Been to Red Roof Inn Danville, PA? Share your experiences!