“Not up to expectations” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Reeders, Pennsylvania
“Not up to expectations”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Bartender could not have been more accommodating or given better service. From that point on it was downhill...service was so so, food was bland and the entree took forever. Some members of our party were very pleased, others will not return. I am one of the will not returns.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Penn
“Excellent food, but the gratuities??”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

Second time there to eat but the first for the "brunch". Absolutely wonderful food. Just didn't want to leave! Enjoyed our experience but disappointed when the check came. Sunday brunch is a buffet. You get up and get your own food. Granted, there was a staff member on hand to "scoop" out servings for you and prepare your pasta dish. But....18% gratuity added on!!!??? Really!!!???

Chicago, Illinois
“Italian cuisine a' la Paula Deen”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

The pasta with "light cream sauce" is in fact loaded with heavy cream and cheese - enough to give you a heart attack. It was suppose to have procuitto but there was no procuitto flavor and all I saw were brown bits that looked like bacon bits out of a shaker. It was as far away from authentic Italian food as you could get. I am going to guess the cooks have never been to Italy.

On the plus side, the restaurant has a nice ambiance and the people are very nice. Looks like a nice place for drinks and nuts/popcorn. If you like Olive Garden and want a fancier environment, this is it, otherwise you will be disappointed.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“A Pocono Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

This has to be one of the best restaurants in the Pocono's. it is a family run business that really cares about their customers and the quality of the dishes that they create. It is a lively atmosphere with a friendly bar. The food and service are unmatched. The pear and Gorgonzola salad with the roasted duck are highly recommended. The hand crafted Italian based cuisine offers a wide selection that never disappoints.

Give Basso a try and you won't be disappointed. You might even end up becoming a regular!

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Cresco, Pennsylvania
“Doesn't Belong in the Pocono's!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

My wife and I have been to Basso's twice in the past month and can't wait to go back. I've lived here for the past 55 years and can say that the number of memorable restaurants here are limited to less than my ten fingers used to count them. I rank Basso's at the top of that list. This place is not typical of the outdated restaurants, fast food shrines or chain eateries that seem to flourish here in the Poconos. I can honestly say that I would expect to find this place in New York or Los Angeles. I don't know why they chose to establish here but I am glad they did. If you are complaining about the price, you won't be able to appreciate the quality. The first time we went there we had the Prawns on toast and Clams Oreganata to start. BEST clams I ever had BAR NONE. Prawns were excellent. They give you unlimited warm bread with a garlic and basil infused olive oil to dip it in. By the time dinner came I didn't want it. Dessert? Forget it! Next time maybe. How much was the bill? Don't remember, the experience was so fantastic I handed our server (Christine) my card without ever looking at the check. Whatever it was it was worth it. Service was excellent, server was attentive without being overbearing. She was friendly and charming. The second time we went we just had a half dozen appetizers, clams again of course. The portions are quite generous. I think the menu is fine, good selection. I personally don't enjoy spending most of my evening reading a small novel. Besides, can you offer 200 entree's and be good at all of them? I appreciate 20 things done perfect instead of 200 done bad.There is a sufficient number of Starts, dinners and desserts for anyone. This is truly what they advertise, an honest Italian restaurant, no pizza, burgers, fried chicken, etc... it's real Italian cuisine.

The second time I looked at the bill, it was more than worth it.
The best part of this restaurant is that is is 2 miles from where I live!

• Visited October 2012