“disappointed” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Coraopolis
Eastern Iowa
“disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2006

I stayed at this hotel recently due to it's location near the airport. to start off, the directions on the website are only from the airport. If you're coming from Pittsburgh it can be confusing. when I checked in, the front desk staff was not very friendly. I asked for a business center so I could print off my boarding pass for the next morning. The staff person kept telling me how I "couldn't use my computer". She wasn't even listening to what I was saying. The lobby was very loud and there's not enough parking. I suspect this hotel does a significant amount of convention type business. My floor was EXTREMELY noisy until after midnight. The icing on the cake was the $9.95 charge for internet service. What a joke! I travel 75 - 100 nights per year and by far I'm most disappointed with Marriott in general, and this hotel in particular.

• Liked — the bed
  • Disliked — the staff
  • Tips/Secrets — avoid this hotel
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Deer Lake, PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2006

I've stayed at several Marriotts and I'm a member of their rewards program, and this particular property was almost enough to make me move exclusively to Hilton properties.

We stayed only one night after the Steelers home opener. The hotel (as they all are in Pittsburgh for Steelers games) was booked, and we were likely among the last check-ins at 1:30 AM.

We were given room 319, which was apparently a conference room of some sort. It contained a VERY uncomfortable Murphy bed (folds out of the wall), with a hard boxspring base and a very this mattress. The bed, when folded out, was buttressed right up against a conference table - close enough that you could not comfortably get out of that side of the bed.

There were not other rooms available as the hotel was booked, it was late, there were no other rooms in town, and we were stuck with this room.

The next morning, I was awakened by noises in the next room. Not excess noises, mind you. They flushed their toilet, turned on their shower and used their blow dryer. From the thinness of the walls, you'd have thought they were doing those things in MY room.

However, I'm sure that they wouldn't have spent that much time on those activities in my room, because it was in the morning that I discovered mold in the bathroom and that our toilet would not flush properly, requiring 4-6 flushes instead of one.

Additionally in the light of day, it was apparent that the furniture in the room was old and worn and dirty. Housekeeping obviously isn't thorough at this property as we found a newspaper in a drawer dated July 14 (we stayed on Sept 7).

Let's see... I should find something good to say about this room. The curtains were very thick and did I fine job of keeping the room dark once the sun was up. And I got a complementary copy of USA Today.

The only things that save this property from a one-star rating are the amenities, and I didn't take advantage of those (but it would be unfair to exclude them). However, the room/bed was the pits and despite the fact that I'm in Pittsburgh frequently, I'll never stay at this property again.

Stayed September 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2006

Stayed one night at the Marriot. We were pleasantly surprised. The room was beautiful, the bed was extremely comfortable, and the staff was very nice. We were disappointed that we only booked for one night. We would definitely choose this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
JOHNSTOWN, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2006

I stayed at the Marriott Pittsburgh Airport from April 28 to 30, 2006. Overall it was a nice visit. The room was very clean and the whole hotel looked inviting. It does not appear to be close to much but within a 5 minute drive you have lots of shopping and dining.

The bed and bedding were to die for, big and comfortable. My room was well cleaned. The only thing I can say is that I used the decaf coffee and it was not restocked. I called for a packet and they brought me four or five and the gentleman couldn’t have been any nicer.

Some of the negatives to get out of the way are that they have VERY thin walls in both the guest rooms and meeting rooms. It was hard to sleep and even harder to hear in your meetings. There was some remodeling going on so noise was high in the afternoon in your room. So much for me sneaking a nap. Another thing was that there is only one restaurant with a limited menu in my opinion. One trip there and I ate away from the hotel for the rest of the conference. The food was good but not much selection.

The next item was a mix of good and bad. The front desk and check-in. They were training a new person and she was very confused and had rooms really messed up. She was giving non-smoking rooms to smokers and vice versa. By the time I checked my room and discovered it was non-smoking they were out of smoking rooms and offered to send an ashtray up. This may offend some non-smokers so I wanted to warn you. You’d be surprised how often this happens and people do not realize it.

The banquet meals they served were fairly good even if the servers were a bit confused. They were supposed to take our tickets for our meals so they knew who to serve but instead they left your dirty plate in front of you to show you were served. They never asked for the tickets so I don’t know if people got in without paying for the meals.

Overall I enjoyed my stay here and they had very friendly staff even if they were not the quickest or most well trained. I would stay here again.

Also, I felt the price was right. We paid $79 (conference rate) plus taxes per night. For the Pittsburgh area I felt this was a good value as I have stayed in the area a lot and paid much more.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2006

I absolutely loved the hotel. The room was sparkling clean and we had great service!!! The food was also great. I'd definitely recommend staying here - it is a great location if you're not looking to stay downtown!

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
Cincinnati, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2006

I was very dissapointed with this Marriott. I am a Marriott Gold member, previously Platinum, and I have never been to a Marriott like this before.

I had a one night stay in the middle of March, 2006.

Pros:
Very comfy bed, nice linens

Nice desk and ergo chair

Cons:
Black Mold in the shower, on the tiles and on the curtain

Lame room service food

No concierge lounge open. Selling Con. level rooms with the lounge closed. Found this out after the fact.

Very long parking lot. Must be 35-40 rows deep. Hope you get a close spot or you'll be hoofin' it. Consider the weather in PIT when you are booking!

I had a good nights rest, but given the price and every other dissapointment, I won't return.

I have stayed at the Residence Inn down the road from the Marriott. Much better!

Good Luck!

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business
West Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2005

This hotel advertises itself as a NEW hotel. In fact, it even states so on the hotel shuttles which take guests to and from the nearby Pittsburgh Airport. Yes, the carpert and wallpaper inside the guest rooms are new. However, the rooms are another story as the furniture was old and warn. I expected the normal Marriott decor with the blue, red, green and gold colors which delight me once inside a Marriott room. This hotel's rooms just had an old Holiday Inn feel with paisley bedspreads and ugly chairs. I knew something was wrong when the shower had very noticeable mold and the toilet would not flush without holding down the handle. Heck, the shower DID NOT even have jet sprays!! Furthermore, the heating system was for the birds. I woke up with a stuffy head and nose as a result of it. The icing on the cake was the dirt and dust from the wall vent made it's home on top of the curtains and ceiling. I originally thought it was bad discolorization, but it was dust and grime from the heating system vent. I must say the bed was comfortable and the room was fairly neat. However, I will never stay here again. I expected more for the money and this is not a new hotel. This is a renovated hotel. There is no way a new 3 month old hotel room would be as ran down as the one I stayed in. This Marriott Rewards customer is not happy with this stay. I recall another TripAdvisor member saying Marriott provided more attention to detail with the Courtyard brand of hotels. I have to agree from my experience with both Courtyard and Marriott hotels. By the way, don't plan on enjoying the benefits of the concierge level as the front desk told me at check-in it is in the process of being "renovated." I should have known a "new" hotel would not be going through renovations after being open just 3 months. I was offered a coupon for $5 off my breakfast order. I did not take them up on the offer. The front desk DID NOT ask how my stay was when checking out!! DON'T STAY HERE!!

• Stayed December 2005

Been to Marriott Pittsburgh Airport? Share your experiences!