“Delicious!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Spring Mill Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 74 Restaurants in Conshohocken
Cuisines: French, Eclectic, International
Good for: Romance
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: River Rd
Transit: The Spring Mill station is just a few blocks from the restaurant. Just take the R6 Norristown line to the Spring Mill station, follow station road then make a right on Hector St. At the end of Hector make a right on Barren Hill and we are just a few hundred yards up on the right.
Pennsylvania
“Delicious!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

We chose this restaurant because we were on our way to Philadelphia airport. What a find! The ambience of Spring Mill Cafe is reminiscent of dining in small restaurants in France. And the food! The wild mushroom salad was a subtle blend of complex flavors. The sea scallops were perfectly prepared--lightly seared and served with a carrot parsnip puree. My husband had the rabbit, which he said was the best he's had in this country and closest to what he's enjoyed in France. Service was attentive and unobtrusive. Wish we lived closer so we could dine here more often.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Menu descriptions need work”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

We enjoyed our dinner. The Farmhouse extension is amazing, the decor is French inspired and warm. The service was very good. The Escargots de Bourgogne (Snails on warm brioche) were to die for! Sweet, and warm, with a sauce that although they described as garlic butter, was more like an herb butter sauce, pale green in color. Lapin a la Moutarde (Braised Rabbit) was out of this world. Rack of Lamb was excellent. My only complaint - the dessert. Described as Praline Apple Bread Pudding, with Caramel Ice Cream – it was a very good bread pudding with only 2 apple slices, and no taste of praline to be found. When I inquired about the praline - I was told that it was a "Style" of caramelizing the apples. Every dictionary says NUTS in boiled browned sugar = praline. The ice cream had chocolate in it, and I could not detect caramel. I think the server handled the inquiry badly. The explanation was one that I was thoroughly disappointed with - and as a real foodie, I know better. The server claimed the ice cream was called caramel, chocolate nougat. If so, why did the menu say caramel ice cream?

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Villanova
“You are in France”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

You are driving along a dark and tree shaded road with snowflakes falling. The bottle of burgundy bought earlier in the day is safely tucked into the back seat. A porch light up ahead breaks the gloom and candles glimpsed through the window beckon. A full dining room, small tables with mismatched wooden chairs. Everyone smiling, laughing, the aroma of crusty bread and steaming soup pulls you in. There is one table left and it is yours. You linger for hours, savoring every bite. You are in France.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Good food, a bit pricy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

This restaurant is close to my home but had never been there. I was pleasantly surprised but would not return because of the choices on the menu which were very out of the ordinary and pricy. I had scallops which were the only choice I liked. They were good as was the mushroom barley soup. Service was attentive. Our group had a good time.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“Best Escargot I've Ever Had Anywhere (Even France)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

My husband and I love this charming old BYOB. Ezra runs it now (his mum is the original owner). We love to sit in the 'The Nook' (a romantic two-top stationed in a little alcove in the main house), and the escargot with warm brioche is to die for. Even when I go to Strasbourg, France, and have escargot at almost every meal, I still love the escargot at the Spring Mill best. Their fish is always good, too, and among the deserts, I think the Daisy Cake (angel food, I think) and the flourless chocolate cake are the best. It's a small restaurant, in a very old building, but it's loaded with charm and antiques, and sometimes when it's really busy they open another small house next door (where the owner lives upstairs) for seating. It's a quirky setup that's best suited for romantic dinners, I think. We've eaten here a bazilion times over the past 10+ years, and when we want an intimate dinner for two, we book a resi here.

• Visited August 2012