“Disappointing” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Conshohocken
Coral Springs, Florida
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

This hotel was booked for us by a family member for an event. We accidentally went into the wrong Marriott which incidentally was about a mile from this hotel. My husband and I were delighted as this lobby was spacious and bright. There was a restaurant and bar which was a plus as I saw no other restaurants nearby. We were disappointed to learn we were in the wrong Marriott. We arrived at the correct hotel which was by railroad tracks. The first thing that greeted us was a lower lobby under construction following some flooding. The room we had was recently remodeled but the bed was queen size and we were told that was all they had. My husband and I are used to a king size bed so we were hitting each other all night.
The hotel offered breakfast and dinner; the breakfast was served until 9am, most hotels serve until 10am. That hour makes a difference. The breakfast menu was ok but the scrambled eggs were made from powdered eggs, yuck! We checked out the dinner fare and were disappointed to see there were no hot items, just cold cuts and salads. Most of the time there was no china or silverware, only styrofoam containers and plastic knives, forks, etc.
I wonder why our family member didn't book us into the first Marriott. Final thought: although we were given a group rate, the regular rate was rather high for a hotel by the railroad track, under construction I thought

Green Features: The construction did not look environmentally friendly and the smell from the construction was definitely NOT environmentally friendly There were signs in the room asking guests to reuse towels to conserve water, etc.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

This is the second time we've stayed here with our two young kids. This time, we stayed on MR points. We were not disappointed.

The staff at this RI are excellent and responsive toward any reasonable request. There was severe water damage on the ground floor due to the week's crazy rain storms, so we were unable to use any of those amenities (gym, laundry, etc). Upon arrival, the staff apologized for the appearance of the hotel. The staff put us on the renovated 5th floor and I was completely impressed. New layout, new furniture, TV mounted on the wall, new everything! We asked for a rollaway bed and crib and the staff brought them up 15 minutes after we settled in. The staff even called to ensure everything was delivered and that the room was ok. Great customer service. For checkout, my wife called down to the front desk for some assistance with our bags and the staff was able to help. Great way to end the trip.

I didn't get a chance to eat breakfast there this time around, but has all your RI staples like eggs, sausage, toast, waffles, etc.

The only reason I give this great property 4 out of 5 stars is for two reasons: 1) housekeeping did not get there until 3PM and by then our kids were already napping. 2) the property is by the regional rail line and you can definitely hear the train horns every time a train goes by (at least 3 times an hour).

Thank you for a wonderful stay!

Room Tip: Choose a room on the 5th floor, away from the train tracks.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
WHGGuestService, Manager at Residence Inn Philadelphia Conshohocken, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your stay at our hotel. We appreciate your comments as it helps us improve our product/services. It is great to hear that we met your needs and expectations with your family as well as enjoying our newly renovated rooms. We are very sorry to hear about the challenges the SEPTA station near the hotel presented. We do our best to ensure our guests get the room that best suits their needs – on your next visit to Conshohocken, please let us know of your preference to be on the back side of the hotel and we will do our best to match that request. We look forward to seeing you soon! Mary Culbert, General Manager
Overland Park, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

I just spent four weeks at the Residence Inn in Conshohocken, Pennsylvania in the northern suburbs of Philadelphia. This Residence Inn is a solid hotel; literally, with its concrete floors and construction, it is very quiet and I never heard the neighbors above walking around. This RI is in the middle of an extensive renovation which seems to take place with an entire floor at once. My rooms were located on the 5th floor, and were both recently renovated, to the point that they have that new car smell. The two rooms I stayed in had different kitchen configurations, with one kitchen equipped with a full sized range & oven combination. The appliances are top of the line stainless steel; and the new stainless steel interior dishwashers were some of the quietist I have ever experienced. Comfort-wise the rooms are furnished in a modern way, with a large screen HD TV that can be turned to face any viewing direction. The desk and work area overlooking the window is large and spacious with plenty of outlets for electronics. The bed, pillows and linens are comfortable and promote a good night’s sleep. The occasional horns from the SEPTA trains passing by the front of the hotel were not disturbing in any way.

It was interesting to see that the main lobby and hearth room of this hotel are on the second level with access by a staircase or two elevators. The front desk staff I experienced was always cheerful, welcoming and helpful. The hearth room is very large with an abundance of tables and seating. The breakfast fare is quite good and always included a selection of breakfast proteins that were different each morning for a nice variety. Breakfast breads and pastries, yoghurts, and fruit were also in good supply. There is a waffle iron, and several coffee and fruit juice selections. Overall, the breakfast service is well executed by a friendly team that keeps things well stocked, and cleaned up. There are light evening meals a couple of nights a week which can be very satisfying and complete. There is also a very nice selection of restaurants and pubs within walking distance a few blocks up the hill on Fayette Street.

The housekeeping service is quite attentive to the basics of tidying up the room, making the bed and providing fresh towels; however the housekeepers were kind of spotty in noticing that more packets of coffee and dishwasher detergent were needed. Notes to the housekeepers prompted the desired supplies. Over the course of weeks I submitted a few maintenance requests, which were fulfilled in a timely manner; and then followed-up by phone calls from the front desk to ensure that the requests had been completed. During my stays, the hotel experienced problems with both the wireless internet and the HD TV channels. These issues were acknowledged by the hotel management with letters to the guests delivered under the door; explaining the issues, apologizing for the inconvenience, and promising corrective actions.

The April 30 & May 1, 2014 flood of the Schuylkill River in Conshohocken PA

On Wednesday April 30 the Philadelphia, PA area received a deluge of 5 to 6 inches of rain in 24 hours. Overnight the water level of the Schuylkill River passing through the town of Conshohocken flooded its banks and covered the roadways, parking lots and SEPTA rail lines close to the river. The Residence Inn sits among a complex of office buildings adjacent to the river. I was shocked awake by the fire alarm in my room at about 3:30 AM which caused me to look outside my window to see the parking lots around the Residence Inn surrounded by rising flood waters. Since the electricity and air conditioning were still on I eventually went back to sleep because there was nothing to be done other than wait.

When I woke up again a few hours later the river waters had flooded the ground floor of the hotel. Fortunately the hotel lobby area is located on the second level of the hotel, and no guest rooms are located on the ground floor. The indoor swimming pool and the elevator pits had been flooded. I went down for some coffee and breakfast and found a large number of guests milling about the hearth room. The guests were stuck in the hotel until the flood waters receded from the parking lots surrounding the hotel. Many of the guests could be heard on their cell phones reporting flooded cars to their insurance companies. That morning I was able to do some work remotely on my computer, and call into a meeting while waiting for the water levels to go down. After about 12 Noon, the water level in the parking lots and street in front of the hotel had receded to the point that I could walk out to my car and depart for work.

When I returned to the hotel in the evening, the ground floor of the hotel was being cleaned up and dried out by crews from the ServiceMaster Company. The elevators were not working because of the pits had been flooded, so I got some exercise by walking up and down the stairs a number of times in the next couple of days. Anyway, it was quite an experience to cap off my four week stay in the Residence Inn in Conshohocken. Overall, the management of the hotel did a great job taking care of its guests and cleaning up the mess to return things to normal as quickly as possible.

This is a hotel that I would definitely stay in again, because the operation lives up to its Marriott brand in all aspects and at the highest levels of service.

Room Tip: Back of the hotel is the key to avoiding the SEPTA rail horns.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

I arrived a bit early before check-in as I was on the early flight that morning to PA. Mary at the front desk and the housekeeping staff was as kind as can be and helped me get into a room early that day. It is the small accommodations like that which, in my opinion, separate these types of limited service hotels

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

In full disclosure – when booking my visit through Marriott.com at no point did they let me know that the entire entryway was being refurbished (and it seemed a surprise to the staff) so that colors my experience a little. Had they done that, I’d have made arrangements to stay elsewhere – but they didn’t.

The Good:
It’s a Residence Inn, so nice sized rooms, well appointed. A crib was already in the room, with some baby shampoo and lotion (a very nice touch), the free breakfast was excellent, and the wi-fi pretty good for the free version, and a fairly cheap ($5) upgrade if you wanted to stream movies on your laptop without interruption.

The Bad:
Not informing of the construction work ahead of time – so arrival was confusing, as it was an active construction / disaster site then the elevators were out of bounds / not working, so up to the second floor carrying my luggage and a wriggling 20 month old. The staff did not even acknowledgement that at check in, (like the staff hadn’t spotted it), and when checking out, the lady at the desk was surprised that it was an issue, but helpfully offered “I had no clue it was like this”

The construction zone was shifting all the time as they re-laid a floor, meaning you couldn’t use the main doors at one point, or access the laundry, and to get to the pool, it was an unmarked detour around the entire hotel to get to the back stairwell. That gave access to a pool that was kept at around freezing – helpful if I wanted to keep some beer cold, or leave a polar bear in there, not so much fun for the family.

At least the hot tub would be fun, were it not the temperature of molten lava, with 20 pounds of sand at the bottom of it, looking like it was where the construction crew relaxed after a hard day of confusing the hell out of the guests.

The construction – throughout the day, so good luck getting any work or relaxing done, or for junior to get a nap in

The Ugly:
Well if you love trains, barefoot and smelly travelling sports teams, this is the place for you! Situated 20 feet from the train tracks and 2 different level crossings, you can be assured of train horns blasting about every 15 minutes late into the evening, and from the early morning. The other guests (OK, not the hotel’s fault!) but travelling lacrosse teams bumbling round barefoot and en masse, in sweaty kit, does not make for a pleasant experience.

Room Tip: As far away from the front of the hotel (the train tracks) as possible or choose a different hotel
Green Features: Great - they save a fortune by not heating the indoor pool
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
WHGGuestService, Manager at Residence Inn Philadelphia Conshohocken, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your stay at our hotel. The comments and information from TripAdivsor Top Contributors like yourself help our team to improve our the experiences for all our guests. I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced during your time in Conshohocken. I have taken corrective actions to directly address your concerns in order to prevent these occurrences in the future.

Though we are under renovation, we try to complete the upgrades in staggered phases to reduce the disturbance to our guests. A renovation process is never easy and I apologize for the confusion and overall poor impression of your stay due to this. The information regarding our renovation is posted on our website, however I have asked our team to do more to highlight the messaging to make it more visible for website visitors. You also noted that the sound of our regional train was an additional discomfort. We do our best to place our guests in the room that best suits their needs. I encourage TripAdvisor members who may be light sleepers or not used to an urban environment to mention their preference when checking in.

Again, I'm sorry that your stay wasn't an experience you can relish. When your travels bring you back to the Philadelphia area, please give us another opportunity to impress you. Our completed renovations will be amazing and I hope that you can give us the opportunity to show you the excellence that our team and the upgraded hotel can provide.

Mary Culbert

Travelers are raving about these Conshohocken hotels

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

This place has the style of Jimmy Choo, but the location is horrible with the train that comes every hour from 6am til midnight. With that in mind, bring your ear plugs.

We were able to check in early (@ 12:15pm). This was great for us. We wanted to get our dog comfortable in the room ($75 pet fee). He loved the room.

Our room was on the 6th floor, newly remodeled (as some previous posters have stated). I believe it was 625. We loved the room as well. This is our 3rd Residence Inn in the last year. We love the convenience of a kitchen and the ability to kick back in the small living/family room area. Each room has a flat screen tv (one in the living room, the other in the bedroom). Upon further inspection, we didn't have toilet paper in our room, but service brought it up in 5 minutes.

Aside from the train, it has great service and lots of parking spaces.

A nice breakfast is served in the morning til 9am (weekdays) and a nice small dinner (we had BBQ) was served in the evening.

As a side note, this place is close to one of the best Thai restaurants (Chiang Mai) we've ever been to. Definitely order the duck with red curry sauce.

The hotel is close to King of Prussia shopping (5-10 min away) but a little out of the way from downtown Philly and I-76 or 1-676 traffic. plan ahead if you are going downtown during rush hour.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the 6th floor and towards the back of the hotel (less train noise).
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
WHGGuestService, Manager at Residence Inn Philadelphia Conshohocken, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your stay at our hotel. The feedback provided by TripAdvisor members like you aid us in improving our product/services.

It is great to hear that you and your furry friend felt very comfortable in one of our newly renovated rooms. I will also pass along your kind comments regarding the service level of our staff – they love to hear the feedback of our guests. Of course I’m disappointed to hear of the noise that occurred from the regional SEPTA train station at night. Indeed, our location near the SEPTA station can present some challenges for light sleepers when located in the front rooms of our hotel. However, our proximity is very much an asset to our guests who can easily access Philadelphia and all the locations that the light rail service provides them. We do our best to ensure our guests get the room that best suits their needs. I encourage TripAdvisor members who may be light sleepers, or not used to the sounds of metropolitan backdrop, to mention their preference when checking in.

I do hope you will return and stay with us again to enjoy the Conshohocken area. We will certainly do our best to ensure your next experience is outstanding.

Sincerely

Pittsburgh, PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

We recently stayed at this hotel on 3/14/14. We got in very late and they easily accomodated a late check out request. The staff was extremely accomodating and friendly. Hotel was clean and nicely decorated. They put us in Room 621, which we were told was newly renovated. We opened the door to the room and we were pleasantly surprised. Very nice room. Clean, decorated tastefully etc. Our room was at the front of the hotel. Horrible location for a hotel because....here is where the bad review comes in......We didn't sleep a wink. No one warned us that the railroad tracks for their subway or whatever it is was directly in front of this hotel and the train kept coming over and over and over again all night and all day!!! Miserable! Horrible! First you'd hear the "ding ding ding" of the warning bells and then the blaring "HONK, HONK, HONK" of the horn as it passed. OMG, SHUT UP!!! Horrible experience with regard to the train. If it wasn't for the train, I'd give this hotel a super rating but OMG, that train was miserable to deal with. If, big IF, we ever stay here again, we will make sure we request the BACK of the hotel. I thought the train would stop at a reasonable hour but it didn't....we should have asked to be moved to another room but I was just too tired.....and even more tired after listening to the Ding Ding Ding and Honk Honk Honk of the train all night!!! Not the best experience.

Room Tip: "Stay in a room at the back of the hotel" Rooms in the front get the train noise at all h...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
WHGGuestService, Manager at Residence Inn Philadelphia Conshohocken, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your stay at our hotel. The comments written by TripAdvisor members like you provide a wonderful opportunity to help improve our services.

I was thrilled to read the positive comments regarding our associates and hotel. Our team takes great pride in providing our guests with a clean and brilliant hotel - and we thank you for recognizing those attributes in your comments. Of course I’m disappointed that your overall experience with us wasn't satisfactory. Our location near the SEPTA station can present some challenges for light sleepers when located in the front rooms of our hotel. However, our proximity is also a tremendous asset and benefit to our guests who can easily access Philadelphia and all the locations that the light rail service provides them. We do our best to ensure our guests get the room that best suits their needs. As you noted, we are more than happy to relocate our guests if we have rooms available to do so. I encourage TripAdvisor members who may be light sleepers, or not used to the sounds of metropolitan backdrop, to mention their preference when checking in. Again, we will do what we can to make your stay pleasurable by placing you in a room on the back side of the hotel.

Kindest Regards,

Mary Culbert

Been to Residence Inn Philadelphia Conshohocken? Share your experiences!